Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bentonville BMW closing

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Thanks.
    When we're in Arkansas I'll give them a call to see if there's open.
    I was there Friday. Jerry still hasn't set a real 'last' day. Sounds like he will take it day by day after the party so he will likely be there.
    Neal - '16 R1200GS / '81 R65

Quote Originally Posted by rguy View Post
    I was there Friday. Jerry still hasn't set a real 'last' day. Sounds like he will take it day by day after the party so he will likely be there.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Paul & I were at the customer appreciation day at Bentonville BMW this past Sat.. It was sad to us, and a bit depressing. Thanks to all the ladies who prepared the food, which was GREAT! Just about everything is gone with the exception of some T-shirts and a few odds & ends. I think they would just like for it to be over so they can all move on. Denise was soooo busy I barely had time to give her a hug & wish her the best. As usual, she was tied up with customers buying what was left over, whether they needed it or not...it was marked down so you must buy it. Denise pulled a lot of weight there. Just a sad day, and BMW better wake up & smell the coffee.
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

Quote Originally Posted by shortythorne View Post
    ....BMW better wake up & smell the coffee.

Could somebody please fill in a newbie on what is going on with BMW? Is this closing of dealerships an on-going problem? Are there really that few of them left? Is a BMW motorcycle a chancy purchase given lack of dealer support?

I am new to the brand and shopping for my first. Reading between the lines on many other threads, I’m a bit concerned, but don’t have a good handle on the situation yet.

BMW has had about 150 dealerships for many years. They still do. The problem is the good small old ones die or are killed off and new ones open, often multi-line moto-sports stores. For example, Gina's in Iowa City, Iowa, which was a single brand BMW dealership was sold to Sun and Fun Motorsports, which represents 20 brands in virtually all aspects of motorsports including twelve motorcycle brands, ATVs, snowmobiles, and who knows what else. Something similar has happened in Austin, TX. And the Santa Fe dealership was sold to the Mini car dealership. Some of these dealerships change staff so often that you bring a bike for service and deal with one service manager and pick it up from the next new guy.

See for example: https://www.sunandfunmotorsports.com
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/