• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2010 R1200RT crickets/hissing noise from front tire

Team,

Wondering what would be causing the sound of crickets / hissing sound from the front tire? Wheel bearing going bad? It does sound like a brake pad is stuck against the rotor but that doesn't seem to be the case. The sound gets louder/faster with speed.

I have michelin road 5s on front/rear with probably 1,000 miles on them.

Thanks,
Brent

Welcome to the forum, Brent! Does it make these noises when you turn the wheel by hand in your driveway?

Welcome to the forum, Brent! Does it make these noises when you turn the wheel by hand in your driveway?

It does. I put it on the center stand and spun the front wheel. The wheel does not rock side to side so I'm confident bearing is fine. The noise is definitely different but it's most likely due to it not spinning at 40mph I suppose. I guess something is rubbing the rotor.

I'm also guessing that's normal for this bike? Hearing cicadas buzzing while you ride?

support the front wheel off of the ground, push back BOTH caliper pads on BOTH calipers and spin the front wheel....report back...

Road 5s are a noisy tire, but at slow speeds, hardly noticeable....

FTR, i changed my front wheel bearings and it made a huge difference at about 100,000 miles!!!

wyman

Wheel Bearing Source?

Wyman, what was your selection for wheel bearings? Amazon? BMW Dealership? Somewhere else? With 120,000KMs on my 2010, I think its time for my front wheel bearings. They are making a bit of noise when riding in a straight line, but less noise when leaned into a corner.

Any other recommendations for a good source of wheel bearings? SKF or other?

At $22.73 for both bearings and both exterior seals, thats a bargain! Can anyone comment on the quality/longevity of their bearings?

Cann't speak on longevity since I only kept my FJR for another 10K after changing bearings. Went from whining in turns to absolute quiet. Most manufacturers use crappy cheapest vendor in their bearing choice. Most bearing have dimensions stamped on the outer surface. If you pull your bearings and get the numbers they can be purchased from any bearing vendor. Almost always cheaper than OEM.

Back