Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: BMW's Too top heavy for older riders?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I also have not found a good US site for non current models.
    I wish BMW USA had a site showing specs for non current models.
    I agree, but why would they. Spec's for non-current models won't sell new motorcycles.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

[QUOTE=36654;1183705]
    Quote Originally Posted by FELAW View Post

Whereas a 6ft tall person on an Indian cruiser looks like an adult sitting on a grade school chair for a parent-teacher meeting.

But, back to BMW's........young (20-30yr) Germans are 1.5 to 2" taller than similar age Americans and Germans are shorter than the Dutch. So, it might not be BMW that has a problem.........
    So I guess then that Indian, Harley and Victory have it all messed up because they really should be trying to fit their motorcycles to Dutchmen instead of Americans? And I guess its possible that BMW will sell more motorcycles in Holland than in America. I don't think it's rocket science that, within limits, seat height, seat to footpeg distances and other ergonomic dimensions could be adjustable. Harley sells Reach accessories that lower seats, move pegs and handle bars to accommodate various rider requirements. God forbid that BMW should make a bike where a 5 foot 8 inch individual could sit on the damn thing and put his feet flat on the pavement at a stop light. Just sayin'.

[QUOTE=FELAW;1183796]
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post

So I guess then that Indian, Harley and Victory have it all messed up because they really should be trying to fit their motorcycles to Dutchmen instead of Americans? And I guess its possible that BMW will sell more motorcycles in Holland than in America. I don't think it's rocket science that, within limits, seat height, seat to footpeg distances and other ergonomic dimensions could be adjustable. Harley sells Reach accessories that lower seats, move pegs and handle bars to accommodate various rider requirements. God forbid that BMW should make a bike where a 5 foot 8 inch individual could sit on the damn thing and put his feet flat on the pavement at a stop light. Just sayin'.
    I'm 5'8" and have no problem flat footing my 2015 RT...but it's not because of my height. Rather, as mentioned by a previous poster, it's because of my 32" inseam. Height has nothing to do with it...it's the length of your inseam.

Looking at my 25 years of riding BMW's, I actually feel they've made tremendous progress on trying to have bikes that fit a variety of people. Many of their current models come with lowered suspension (not just a seat with less padding). The RnineT comes with a 31" seat height, but it feels lower because of the bike's slim profile. Both the F750 GS and G310GS are slim profile bikes with a 32" seat height and pretty soft suspension... I would think someone with a 28" inseam would feel pretty comfortable on either of them when they sit on the seat and the suspension compresses. Incredibly, the lowered suspension version of the R1250GS takes the GS bike from a seat height of 34.3" to 31.5"...again, once you sit on the bike and compress the suspension it should feel pretty comfortable for someone with shorter legs.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

[QUOTE=powwow;1183802]
    Quote Originally Posted by FELAW View Post

I'm 5'8" and have no problem flat footing my 2015 RT...but it's not because of my height. Rather, as mentioned by a previous poster, it's because of my 32" inseam. Height has nothing to do with it...it's the length of your inseam.

Looking at my 25 years of riding BMW's, I actually feel they've made tremendous progress on trying to have bikes that fit a variety of people. Many of their current models come with lowered suspension (not just a seat with less padding). The RnineT comes with a 31" seat height, but it feels lower because of the bike's slim profile. Both the F750 GS and G310GS are slim profile bikes with a 32" seat height and pretty soft suspension... I would think someone with a 28" inseam would feel pretty comfortable on either of them when they sit on the seat and the suspension compresses. Incredibly, the lowered suspension version of the R1250GS takes the GS bike from a seat height of 34.3" to 31.5"...again, once you sit on the bike and compress the suspension it should feel pretty comfortable for someone with shorter legs.
    I'm wondering how my name got tagged with the quote in the prior message.

Relative to BMW offerings, adjustable height seats are offered on some models while others have a range of seat height options. Low suspension models have been offered by BMW and several aftermarket companies sell short shock variants for modifying a standard height bike. The mothership also offers adjustable footpegs and controls, but most customers of such products got to Suburban, Ilium, SW Motech, Puig, etc. Of course, how many suppliers of bar risers are there??.....

I guess the issue might be.........all of these products aren't BMW made or pushed by the dealer. But, if HD and Indian are the basis for judging product offerings, I guess the lack of straight pipe exhausts and boom box stereo systems needs to be addressed immediately.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

[QUOTE=FELAW;1183796]
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post

In all honesty, Victory messed-up so bad.......they choose to end the product line.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

[QUOTE=36654;1183818]
    Quote Originally Posted by powwow View Post

I'm wondering how my name got tagged with the quote in the prior message.

Relative to BMW offerings, adjustable height seats are offered on some models while others have a range of seat height options. Low suspension models have been offered by BMW and several aftermarket companies sell short shock variants for modifying a standard height bike. The mothership also offers adjustable footpegs and controls, but most customers of such products got to Suburban, Ilium, SW Motech, Puig, etc. Of course, how many suppliers of bar risers are there??.....

I guess the issue might be.........all of these products aren't BMW made or pushed by the dealer. But, if HD and Indian are the basis for judging product offerings, I guess the lack of straight pipe exhausts and boom box stereo systems needs to be addressed immediately.
    Weird...it was FELAW's message I was quoting.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

[QUOTE=powwow;1183842][QUOTE=36654;1183818

Weird...it was FELAW's message I was quoting.[/QUOTE]

A misplaced bracket maybe? That will do weird things every time.

p.s. See!
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I made a confession to my wife the other night about a love affair I’ve been having since I was in my early twenties. Try saying that to you wife sometime, and see if it doesn’t get her attention. Well, she gave me that sarcastic look that instantly tells a husband, “Please, no woman could put up with you that long.”

Anyway, my affair was with a new red Triumph Bonneville. I knew it was not meant to be because she would not treat me well. I was told she had Lucas wiring, strange carbs, and a questionable transmission. So, I passed.

But while reading this thread I started thinking about her again. Then I came across the new thread in the Campfire section (https://youtu.be/dM1CYSsjprc) about the 40-thousand-mile review, and came back down to earth again.

I took a trip to Colorado in late September on my RT; and it is still manageable when heavily loaded. I do notice that with age it is getting a little more taxing to handle when fully loaded.

I’m not sure what I’ll do when I get to that point, but now I’m thinking about the C 650 GT.

E.

Quote Originally Posted by easy View Post

Iím not sure what Iíll do when I get to that point, but now Iím thinking about the C 650 GT.

E.
    Those are heavy also at 575 pounds.
    I would be temped by the F900R at 463 pounds.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Hadn't seen these. Pretty cool.
    Rinty

Quote Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
    Hadn't seen these. Pretty cool.
    I like the looks of the 2020 F900R.
    2020-bmw-f900r.jpg
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Those are heavy also at 575 pounds.
    The R 1250 R is around 530 lbs.

Any R 1250 R owners out there? What say you?

E.

2020-bmw-f900r.jpg
    The 900R comes in the yellow/gold color too. Most likely not in the u.s.this year. You can get them in Canada. The canadian web site showes 2019 F800GT still.
    No 900XR this year either yet.

Quote Originally Posted by easy View Post
    The R 1250 R is around 530 lbs. Any R 1250 R owners out there? What say you?.
    My R1200RS is approximately that weight, and I can still handle it, at 71 years. But I work out daily.

However in the last several years I've found myself being more careful in how I move the bikes around in the garage.
    Last edited by Rinty; 11-17-2019 at 02:57 PM.
    Rinty

Yes, I think Motorrad has hit another one out of the park. Good to see.

Today I was looking at "What bike do you want today" in ADVrider, and there are some intriguing machines that have hit the market recently.
    Rinty