• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW's Too top heavy for older riders?

I was out early one spring and running up the interstate. I hit an underpass doing 90 MPH on the throttle. I discovered frost/ice on the roadway under the shadow of the bridge and the motorcycle confirmed it by the engine racing as the back tire spun. Lucky for me it was quick and over before I could respond. The next underpass I figured pulling in the clutch and coasting through was a good idea!

Thank you for that reminder. I have recently moved to Front Range CO from Northern California and had forgot about that possibility though I read about it I think probably in Proficient Motorcycling.

Trying to place it as am familiar with 99.9% of slip-n-slides in area...vertically and a few horizontally challenged crossings :banghead

The low water crossing was a road that run parallel to hwy 71 East of Spicewood.

Last edited:
The low water crossing was a road that run parallel to hwy 71 East of Spicewood.

Ahah, Krause Springs area past Opies BBQ.
Had navigated that on my HD a few times with no consequence many years back.
Then, riding with H after we met and me on a higher center of gravity RT showed my awesome sliding skills as she watched from the higher ground on her R...laughing

That crossing is always slick being shaded by cypress trees and trying to pick my bike up in the middle of that was quite the chore with zero traction

The first time I went down was not surprised as it was deep and running. This last time it was a complete surprise, slick as snot and took two of us to get the bike up. Hell I can't lift it anyway and that's why I carry a jack in case i'm by myself.

With the batteries kept at the bottom of the bike, new electric bikes will have a low center of mass and room for storage too.

"Getting pointless"....? That happened a long time ago.

Seeing as you've dropped your bike, twice, at low water crossings, I would respectfully suggest you stay away from low water crossings.

That wasn't me...that was some old guy I was quoting...I don't need no low water crossings to drop my bike...I can do it anywhere!

Seeing as you've dropped your bike, twice, at low water crossings, I would respectfully suggest you stay away from low water crossings.

It's hard to avoid low water crossings in the Texas Hill Country :)

Sometimes we turn around :)
High water.jpg

What is the recommended procedure or rule of thumb when encountering these water crossings on a motorcycle?

Hard to say.
It depends on the velocity and the depth.
Another thing to consider is how long water has been over the road. If it's been over the road for quite a few days it probably has some slime starting to grow on the road surface.

Shallow and not much velocity like this picture is not much trouble.
P4090036.JPG

I think this is the crossing I felt the front end weave a bit.
I don't know if it was the current or me going too fast.
This is my wife in the picture.
Leakey.jpg

We turned around on this one because I thought the water was running too fast.
A friend went through and he said the bike moved sideways a little.
P4090031.JPG

The one in post #248 I didn't even think about trying to go through it.

Okay, thanks for the insight.

So, what do you do then if you don’t go through? It looks like you are waiting it out in some photos, but it seems to me that would be futile/time consuming. Or are you just having a gander while you plot an alternate route?

So, what do you do then if you don’t go through? It looks like you are waiting it out in some photos, but it seems to me that would be futile/time consuming. Or are you just having a gander while you plot an alternate route?

Just stopping to watch the water and take pictures.
When we're in the Hill Country we're just out doing day rides and it's not a big deal to turn around and take a different road.

We avoid riding at night down there because of the critters. If you do ride at night you need to be very careful if there's storms in the area that may put deep fast water across these crossings.

there's water...and there's water

Timely posted in this thread which “I” really read as large/heavy bikes vs small/lighter bikes. The “mass” of the heavier bikes requires more torque to the wheels increasing the chance of wheel slippage than the lighter bikes. Easy to test with a ride on a light dirt bike.
I’m not sure where the quote came from- but I agree, “There is no such thing as a quarter-ton dirt bike”.
As one moves from a lighter to a heavier bike or heavier to lighter bike, throwing in a bit of older age :gerg the ability to control a bike with “body english” really starts to change.
Of course, YMMV
OM

Concrete slabs under running water, I stop to check if the surface is smoothed or left rough enough to still get grip on the tires even with a little slime on the surface. I got off the bike a few times and walked into the middle of the flow to check the available traction/surface condition.

Riding a slight slime covered road can't be any worse that running those steel bridges with Heidenau K60's or knobbies. Those bridges in Ak. near gave me heart attacks and the bike was always moving laterally under me [ sliding ] sometime an inch or two at a time with no control over the bike [ just had to go with the flow, sorta speak :) . Actually felt like I was sliding on the steel. Now with road tires, those bridges I cross locally don't affect the bike at all.

So, summarizing from my observations and experience, it's a combo of how rough the surface is under the water [ not so much the thin coat of slime ] and what tires you're running at that time. Fast moving water, I'll try to take that area at a slight oblique, front of the tire pointed more into the flow that perpendicular.

Fast moving water can quickly erode ditches in the pavement. They usually start on the water's out going edge and erode back toward the center/other side. While this happen very fast on dirt roads, pavement does slow it happening but when it does the ditch is deep enough to drop a front wheel in it.
Go slow and look for this happening.

Back