• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW's Too top heavy for older riders?

The thing about most scooter riders is we're still out there enjoying the ride and don't give hoot about respect! I suspect that most of us scooter folks still have a "real" motorcycle in the garage as well.
Happy trails to you.

The thing about most scooter riders is we're still out there enjoying the ride and don't give hoot about respect! I suspect that most of us scooter folks still have a "real" motorcycle in the garage as well.
Happy trails to you.

They're enjoying life their way?........I respect'em.

You are entirely correct sir.

I have been thinking about downsizing myself (09 R1200RT). While boh Harley and Honda make motorcycles which are heavier than the present BMW line up, their center of gravity is lower and I routinely see motorcyclists of limited stature and advanced age riding same. Time for BMW to lower weight and center of gravity for those of us over 60

3hawks

I have been thinking about downsizing myself (09 R1200RT). While boh Harley and Honda make motorcycles which are heavier than the present BMW line up, their center of gravity is lower and I routinely see motorcyclists of limited stature and advanced age riding same. Time for BMW to lower weight and center of gravity for those of us over 60

3hawks

Not just for the over 60 crowd, either. There are plenty of younger riders who just don’t want a tall heavy bike. But maybe BMW doesn’t care, and figures those riders can just go elsewhere while they continue to focus on their style of bikes (tall, heavy)?

For your downsizing, take a look at the Honda NC750X. Very impressive machine. The “frunk” (forward trunk) is large enough for an XL helmet, which is a very convenient feature. While primarily a road bike, the design contemplates light-offroad use, so gravel and fireroads are within its abilities. The price is very competitive. If it had a shaft-drive, I would own one already. My only other gripe is lack of seat height options, but aftermarket kits are available to lower it as much as 4”.

Happy trails to you.

Most scooter riders are in college... visit any campus and there are swarms of them. Now... the trick is how to build a passion for 2 wheels and convince the young riders to stay in the community after they graduate.

Ian

If we took Camp GEARS on the road in a combined effort with BMW Dealers and local clubs, I bet we could reach those types of riders and turn them on to motorcycling via test ride of a 310. (Too bad there isn't a DCT version.)

Otherwise, the chances of them coming to our rally are nil unless they're the offspring of a current member.

Ian

Perhaps we might try looking at this from a different perspective. Are the BIKES too top heavy or are the RIDERS too middle and bottom heavy? Just wondering? :dunno

If you want to ride a big ass bike, perhaps you shouldn't have one. :scratch

Friedle

If you want to ride a big ass bike, perhaps you shouldn't have one. :scratch

Friedle

I didn’t see where anyone was saying they “want to ride a big ass bike.” Exact opposite. That’s the complaint being made here - - BMW primarily designs/offers tall top heavy bikes.

That’s the complaint being made here - - BMW primarily designs/offers tall top heavy bikes.

Oh, please.

Kawasaki and Yamaha sport-touring bikes are much heavier and more top heavy. Suzuki and Harley don't offer competitive bikes to the RT. KTM offers great bikes but nothing with a full coverage fairing. Who else offers something better, in-category, than BMW?

I'm going to put this whole thread down to the complaints of older riders who, unfortunately, may not have the same abilities they once had. News flash: its not the fault of the motorcycle.

Over the past several years BMW has introduced lowered versions of most if not all of their bikes. I ride a lowered 2017 GSA and can flat foot it with my 30 inch inseam. Ten - twelve years ago there was not a GS/A made that I could comfortably ride. The GSA replaced a 2012 Super Tenere that was lowered with aftermarket suspension bits. It was the same weight as the GSA but far more top heavy.

Oh, please.

Kawasaki and Yamaha sport-touring bikes are much heavier and more top heavy. Suzuki and Harley don't offer competitive bikes to the RT. KTM offers great bikes but nothing with a full coverage fairing. Who else offers something better, in-category, than BMW?

I'm going to put this whole thread down to the complaints of older riders who, unfortunately, may not have the same abilities they once had. News flash: its not the fault of the motorcycle.

Most of the competitors you mention above offer alternative designs to “sport tour” models, eg cruisers with low seats and low cg. The claim that bmw’s sport tour models are great products isn’t exactly a rebuttal to the complaint that they don’t offer alternative designs in other “categories” with low seats and cg.

In any case, I was merely restating the complaint being made in this thread since the individual I was responding to seemed to have completely misunderstood it.

Over the past several years BMW has introduced lowered versions of most if not all of their bikes. I ride a lowered 2017 GSA and can flat foot it with my 30 inch inseam. Ten - twelve years ago there was not a GS/A made that I could comfortably ride. The GSA replaced a 2012 Super Tenere that was lowered with aftermarket suspension bits. It was the same weight as the GSA but far more top heavy.

That’s encouraging and good to hear.

Most of the competitors you mention above offer alternative designs to “sport tour” models, eg cruisers with low seats and low cg.

I don't care that other manufacturers offer cruisers with low seats. BMW tried that once. In my most humble opinion, it was an abomination. To paraphrase Rodney Dangerfield, "Might look good on you, though!" :laugh

I don't care that other manufacturers offer cruisers with low seats. BMW tried that once. In my most humble opinion, it was an abomination. To paraphrase Rodney Dangerfield, "Might look good on you, though!" :laugh

Which of course begs the question, could BMW design and build and sell lots of a low seat bike if they wanted to?

Also possible is a sophisticated marketing strategy that taught us to accept heavier, more complex, more difficult to self-maintain and more profitable models...

From this Bike EXIF article... "WE’VE GOT USED to heavy motorcycles. These days, anything around 450 pounds or 200 kilos is regarded as light. And most of the bestselling bikes in the USA weight 600 pounds or more."

Attachments

• SR250.jpg
    SR250.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 218
Back