• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW's Too top heavy for older riders?

Makes sense really. I recall reading something long ago about the effective weight of a Sportster that is doing 60 MPH is somewhere around ten pounds. I'm sure I have the numbers wrong, but point is that if you think your bike is too heavy then you need to go faster. Applying this to moving a K1600 around a garage may be difficult.

Just to keep this thread off track, Einstein's theory say the faster you go the more your mass increases.

Just to keep this thread off track, Einstein's theory say the faster you go the more your mass increases.

My G310GS will go 90. But it is true the red ones go faster. Voni's will go 91. Disclaimer: straight and level; I-90 in Montana; 10 and 11 over the 80 mph speed limit; loaded with camping gear.

Not very top heavy at all.

.....and the younger you get. Of course, one requires a K bike to get up to speed. :D

And we all know that mass is different than weight. i.e. On the moon the weight of an object is less than on earth while its mass remains the same. Maybe older riders should ride on the moon?

.....and the younger you get. Of course, one requires a K bike to get up to speed. :D

And we all know that mass is different than weight. i.e. On the moon the weight of an object is less than on earth while its mass remains the same. Maybe older riders should ride on the moon?

I went to a weighty Mass last Sunday

With the past dozen or so posts I'm finally getting some value out of this thread. What took you guys so long? :laugh

.... Maybe older riders should ride on the moon?

Funny that this is mentioned. There is a place, about ten miles from our house which is one of several locations where NASA folks practiced with the Rover before taking it to the moon. Locals still call it Moon Valley.

I've laid my 2017 RT down twice, both times at low water crossing. The first thing I added to my bike was crash guards so that saved all the plastic. I'm 79 and traded in my Goldwing for the RT.IMG_1150.jpg

I've laid my 2017 RT down twice, both times at low water crossing. The first thing I added to my bike was crash guards so that saved all the plastic. I'm 79 and traded in my Goldwing for the RT.View attachment 76369

I'm 72 and traded my F6B for MY R1200RT. I have no idea what my point is, but this entire thread is getting pointless-so let's just pile on! Can a thread be top heavy for older readers?

I have no idea what my point is, but this entire thread is getting pointless.....

"Getting pointless"....? That happened a long time ago.

Seeing as you've dropped your bike, twice, at low water crossings, I would respectfully suggest you stay away from low water crossings.

I've laid my 2017 RT down twice, both times at low water crossing. The first thing I added to my bike was crash guards so that saved all the plastic. I'm 79 and traded in my Goldwing for the RT.

Was that crossing a little slick? I imagine the green stuff gets slick. Not sure I would have even tried it and I ride in snow once in a while!

I was out early one spring and running up the interstate. I hit an underpass doing 90 MPH on the throttle. I discovered frost/ice on the roadway under the shadow of the bridge and the motorcycle confirmed it by the engine racing as the back tire spun. Lucky for me it was quick and over before I could respond. The next underpass I figured pulling in the clutch and coasting through was a good idea!

Back