• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'78 R100/7 front brake worth saving?

braking

I don't think the single disk ATE setup will out perform a properly set-up /5 drum setup. BMW had to use a disk for style reasons given the new Japanese competition. But the wisdom in 1976 was that the brakes were not as good as the /5 drum set.

My experience is exactly the opposite. Even with fresh shoes and a pretty decent hub, my slash 5 braking is not as effective as my /7 was with ATE's. But then again that was a dual ATE setup. However, I didn't think that the ATE's were really up to snuff so I converted to a dual Brembo set up. IMOH much better and a lot less fiddly on the set up.

My experience is exactly the opposite. Even with fresh shoes and a pretty decent hub, my slash 5 braking is not as effective as my /7 was with ATE's. But then again that was a dual ATE setup. However, I didn't think that the ATE's were really up to snuff so I converted to a dual Brembo set up. IMOH much better and a lot less fiddly on the set up.

We are not disagreeing. Yes, if you doubled the braking to two disks it was better than the drums, but conventional wisdom was that the single disk was not. And yes, the Brembo setup was much better than the ATE stuff.

ATE Singe Disk = BMW's original anti-lock brakes. :)

On my R90 build, I'm just maintaining the old school look. I'm adding some period accessories to amplify that look. I figure if it's good enough for the revered R90S, it's good enough for my more pedestrian /6. :)

Have any of you tried the brake master cylinder conversion kit from Moto-Bins? It includes a handlebar mounted master cylinder that's designed to use the original throttle pipe and switches, steel braided lines and other pieces needed for the conversion. And if you have, was there a significant improvement in braking power?

handlebar master cylinder conversion

well yes a big difference see my earlier post amongst others mine is 13mm ,hope this assists Jimmy:thumb

Back