Thread: Ignition switch / Steering lock

Ignition switch / Steering lock

My 1999 RT has 2 positions for steering lock: locked with headlight OFF / locked with headlight ON. Is there any practical use for leaving the bike with the steering locked and the headlight ON? I inadvertently left the bike parked and didn't see in the sunshine that the light was on. Caught it though and all was well but I've been wondering about the purpose behind this set up. Thx.

When you have to abandon your motorcycle beside the Autobahn in the dark and wish for the wrecker driver to see it so it can be retrieved you might lock it with the light on. Otherwise I would consider it a fool's errand. In fact, those locks are used so seldom that they sometimes stick. Once in a campground in Montana Voni's R1100RS was inadvertently locked. It took over an hour to manage to unlock it. Large quantities of WD40 were used with abandon. The alternative was to get it towed 200 miles to the dealer in Missoula so the dealer could use large quantities of WD40 and an hour of labor to unlock it. It has never been locked since, and won't be unless once again by accident.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

1996 RT Steering Lock

I've also never used mine so is it a good idea to shoot some oil on the lock pin or? Is there a way to access it?

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I do a lot of lock work. Locks are mechanisms and mechanisms need to be maintained. If locks or the related mechanisms are kept working- occasionally exercised, they should work as well as anything that has been maintained.
    I recommend Tri-Flow #TF20027.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

1996 R1100RT steering lock

Thanks. I just looked it up and looks like good stuff. Can you access the steering lock pin to squirt this on? I assume you wouldn't shoot this into the ignition switch. Thanks, oldcarman Jim

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I use in in the locks and around the locks. If things are real dirty- when the lubricating fluid run-off is discolored, WD-40 can be used as a “flushing” solution.

These steering locks are like the parking brake on a car. If you can’t remember the last time you used it.....it may stick when used.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200