• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2019 1250rt windshield

this might be a goofy question, but, I just bought a 2019 r1250rt and was wondering if you have to keep the bike running to clean the inside of the windshield , since it lowers when the bike is shut off ? thanks for any input

I think the general practice is either to keep the bike running, or do what many people do and remove the windshield, clean the inside, then re-install it.

this might be a goofy question, but, I just bought a 2019 r1250rt and was wondering if you have to keep the bike running to clean the inside of the windshield , since it lowers when the bike is shut off ? thanks for any input

Nope--just the ignition needs to be on to adjust the screen position the engine doesn't need to be on. I usually just take the screen off to do the inside it's easier to do a nice job but I have cleaned the inside just putting the screen up w/ ignition on. Also: DO NOT overtighten the bolts that hold the screen on--2Nm's is actually too much! I followed the 2Nm torque and ended up with several radial spokes coming out of the holes in teh screen, some an inch long!

I do not remove and reattach the windshield just to clean it. Too much hassle. What do you do to "clean it"?

I just leave the windshield up, engine running or just ignition still on. It doesn't take more than a minute to clean it. Perhaps my definition of "clean it" is inadequate?

I have found that you can trick the windshield in to staying up. I raise the screen to the max height, then I turn off the bike. While it's coming down I interfere with the lowering and the screen and it goes back up, kind of like your garage door should do if something is in the way. This way I don't have to leave the ignition turned on.

I wish I had a little of that OCD, cause my poor bike is always dirty as sheet.

Well, I do commute to work daily, and I have to go over a mountain range which is typically getting rain...so, I sortta have an excuse.

My friends give scolding lectures on what a slob I am. I am not really a slob type, its just, well, I don't have that much time to clean bikes.

...so, I envy you

Well, I do commute to work daily, and I have to go over a mountain range which is typically getting rain...so, I sortta have an excuse.

And what mountain range might that be. From your Profile I can't tell if that is the Himalayas, the Alps, the Rockies, the Smokies, or something else?

Or, please fill out some info in a sig line or your profile.

And what mountain range might that be. From your Profile I can't tell if that is the Himalayas, the Alps, the Rockies, the Smokies, or something else?

Or, please fill out some info in a sig line or your profile.

I don't like to put personal info on line, though I have my name and phone on the book.
'
The Koolau Range is the mountain I pass daily. They aint that high, but as a tropical environment, they usually hold a lot of rain clouds

What do you use to clean the rim of your wheels. They built a black crud on mine that is hard to take off. I been using Windex lately--even that don't clean the hardcore black crud

For most of my windscreen cleaning I just do it with the ignition on. Not much drain on the battery, especially if it is done just before I ride which means the battery will be charging.

I do a thorough clean by removing the windscreen, typically twice a season while I'm washing the bike. It is very quick and easy, just 4 T25 (IIRC) Torx screws hold the two trim strips and then 2 shorter T25 screws beneath those (these are shorter but because there are only 2 one shouldn't get them confused with the 4 longer ones). Super quick and easy, plus it allows you to clean the cowl and reinforcement plate.

As others have said, these screws are to be just finger tight. Nothing past snug.

... What do you use to clean the rim of your wheels. They built a black crud on mine that is hard to take off. I been using Windex lately--even that don't clean the hardcore black crud
The black crud is typically brake dust, sometimes with a little road grim added for good measure.

If left on for long periods of time (a year or more) it can embed itself into the surface of the rim and be very difficult to impossible to fix completely. Depending on the brake-pad material this can happen quickly (some aftermarket pads) or take a long time to become embedded. Either way, use a quality spray wheel cleaner like Meguiar's and many others. The quality ones have a brake-dusk cleaner component to them that chemically attacks the brake dust but doesn't damage the rim. The cheap ones typically are too aggressive and can damage the finish of the rim.

You will want to spray the rim and let it soak for about 2 minutes. Then try to scrub it off.

If the brake dust is too persistent you may have to go to an automotive store or department and get a wheel cleaning brush. Just a soft-bristle brush. If it is really tough you might need an even firmer bristle, but avoid scratching the finish as that creates ideal places for brake-dust to attach in the future. Just repeat the process until the rim is clean. Waxing the rim after cleaning can reduce the buildup but most folks, myself included, aren't meticulous enough to go that far. ;-)

Back