• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 R nineT Clutch Slipping - Dealership No Help

alienbogey

2016 R nineT, 8,000 miles, stock engine except for Bren tune, which is for engine character and adds little or no power. The bike is run at track days on occasion but the clutch has never been abused - no burnouts, clutch drop wheelies, etc.

I began to get clutch slipping at a recent track day. The clutch does not slip except for at high speed in the higher gears. 4th or 5th gear, middle of the engine's power band, pin the throttle, and the RPM spins up to an additional 1,000rpm without a change in the bike's speed. If I'm more deliberate with the throttle I can get to at or near redline without slippage.

I made a service appointment at the dealership within the last few weeks of the warranty. The service department manager reported no leakage into the dry clutch, normal looking amounts of clutch dust, and test rides were unable to duplicate the problem. (He pointed out that the speeds at which I'm reporting the slippage (80-100mph) would require serious local speeding. Also, his test riders are lighter than me.)

He returned the bike with a report of unable to duplicate, a theory that it was a "perfect storm" (his words) of hot day (it wasn't) and end of track day (it wasn't) that the factory clutch can't handle. He suggested an upgraded clutch from a 3rd party shop.

I seriously doubt that a BMW motorcycle would be unable to operate within the bike's performance envelope without the clutch slipping if the clutch is within spec. He seemed strangely reluctant to just keep digging until he fixed the problem for me.

I adjusted the grub screw while installing new levers (the new levers are unrelated to the problem; they arrived after the slipping started and I installed them).

I went to a track day a few days ago and on the first session, third lap of a cool, overcast morning, the clutch is slipping as before. So much for the "perfect storm" theory.

Any suggestions?

Mainly I'm looking for what options there may be for an upgraded clutch. I'm guessing I'm going to be shelling out $$ for the fix regardless, so I'd like to improve it if possible.

Purely out of curiosity and since your Profile provides no clues, what is this dealership?

It is within the dealer's discretion as to whether this clutch is a "wear item" or a warranty issue at 8,000 miles. But they might be entitled to consider race track use, whether racing or not. That would depend on the wording of any exclusion in the warranty beyond "normal wear and tear excepted."

Good luck.

South Sound Motorcycles, Tacoma, Washington, USA.

When I made the appointment they were clear that worn clutch plates would be on me, as a wear item, anything else would be covered under the warranty. I told them straight out that I was at a track day which, IMO, should make no difference, since I'm riding the bike within its performance envelope, and the bike can't tell whether it's on the street at those speeds (illegal), or the track (legal).

But, both here and on the 9T specific forum no one has suggestions for an upgraded clutch for the 9T, either BMW or 3rd party, and a well respected local private shop that specializes in Beemers said they are aware of no upgrades available.

So - sigh - I guess I'm going back to the dealership to request that they fix it, and we'll see who pays.

So - sigh - I guess I'm going back to the dealership to request that they fix it, and we'll see who pays.

i would be prepared to open your wallet...WIDE...while the R9T is not covered in plastic like the RTs are they still need to split the bike in half to get to the clutch....just did my 13RTs clutch...used OEM parts (actually exactly the same parts as my 13RT), the second time around...don't ask...:banghead

Back