• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Warming up for oil change

masegraves

I've always changed oil after riding the bike so that oil is warmed up. I was wondering what the service shops do. A bike comes in for service, sits for a day or two then it is its turn for service and oil change. Does the service tech ride the bike to get it warm, or do they just start it up and let it run for a while in the shop at idle until it reaches normal operating temperature?

In my shop, and when I was at a dealership, the bikes get ridden to warm them up if they are cold. Ideally the bike is ridden in by the customer and can go straight onto the lift.

I just change it cold. The only difference is that the oil comes out quicker if warm.

I've always felt that the quicker "warmer" it comes out, the more contaminants that come with it. And a more thorough drain of the old oil.

Am I wrong?

I've always felt that the quicker "warmer" it comes out, the more contaminants that come with it. And a more thorough drain of the old oil.

Am I wrong?

That's what I thought as well. I'm mostly asking because the R1200RT in this case is part of a sidecar rig, and it's a little bit of a challenge to get it in and out of the garage where I would change the oil. I think I'm going to take it out, ride it to warm it up, then change the oil out on the street at a spot where I can get it nice and level.

Back