• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

System Cases from K1200rs to r1150r??

I doubt they'd fit, but don't rely on my guess. Instead, go to the MAX BMW online fiche and compare part numbers. I do that all the time to check used parts.

Fred
'02 R1150R

I believe they're the same bags. Half sized left bag with standard attachment. Full sized right bag.

The inner half of K1200RS bags are unique with hooks in different locations than R1150R bags in order to maximize space. R11XXGS bags will fit Roadsters however.

This photo shows (from left) K1200RS/GT, R11XXR/GS, R1100S/R11XXRT bags.

Michael Cohen

Attachments

• system_cases.jpg
    system_cases.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 3,823
From what I've heard, no they are not the same. I think the lids are, but that's it. The R bikes can share cases, but the mounting locations are different between the K and R bikes.

That's correct ... they will NOT fit. BMW has made sure that you need a set for each different model of bike, that way you can't swap them between bikes. Clever Germans !!! :brow

Drat!!

Well, I bought some on the IBMR marketplace and the one that goes over the exhaust won't fit. I am not sure that it will fit even if I lower the exhaust. I guess I can resell them or order the half that properly mounts to the frame?

BTW, that picture above says volumes about the cases. Thanks for illustrating the differences. There's an engineer inside me that always whispers (don't worry, we can MAKE it fit....evil laughter....). I'd rather have them fit properly and look like they should.

Thanks again,
:wave
Gravity

Gravity,

There is always a strong market for system cases (based on the online marketplaces and eBay bidding). Many owners get caught up in a desire to maximize carrying capacity of their Roadster, Rockster or GS and want to switch their standard left case for a R1100RT left case. Why not take advantage of that and post an offer for an even-up trade for your RT case?

Fred
'02 R1150R (And no, I'm keeping my left case, thank you very much.)

Like Fred said (hey - thay rhymed!) you can do a little 'engineering' to your bike and make the full sized RT case fit on your roadster. It really gives you a lot more useful room. You can either remove your muffler (it actually sounds pretty good - but not too loud) or get a muffler lowering kit, and use the full sized left case. That would probably make more sense as you are buying the cases now.

Back