• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Are Ilium barbacks adjustable for angle?

jbinaz

2017 R1200RTW.. I'm 5'9 but short in the torso, want to move the bars back some, but not really higher - they already feel pretty high.

I have watched the Iliumworks installation video and it appears there might be some adjustability in the rotation angle, or are they indexed?

To be clear what I would want to do is rotate them backwards more, not set them at the angle of the bars like they suggest.

** UPDATE **

It appears it may be possible - this sentence in a thread from 2014 popped up after I posted.

ACY540 said:
"I aligned the bar backs using a straight edge off the front of the handle bars to set the angle. Its pretty good for me but for those with shorter arms you can adjust it back closer if needed. "

Haha that's just what I need.. I guess I need to call them tomorrow to confirm, and order.

Last edited:
I just installed a set on my 2018 GA, and there is adjustment. The only thing that would restrict my laying the bars down ("flat") would be stress on the front brake line. Good Luck !

I just put a set on my 2018 RT and you can rotate them back, but the master cylinders and hoses limit how much, maybe about 35 degrees from vertical.

Rent the puller! One on my bar ends pulled out by hand, the other was a hard push the whole length.

No, they don't have much rearward adjustment

...you can rotate them back, but the master cylinders and hoses limit how much...

+1 but with added emphasis

When you rotate them back, the brake master cylinder will touch the handlebar structure. More importantly, the master cylinder will not be level -- not even close to level. Not only does it look odd when rotated to the max, but the brake fluid inside the reservoir will be at a sharp angle to the plane of the master cylinder lid. If the fluid level drops much, it will uncover the port and introduce air into your brake lines.

When I rotate them forward to be aligned with the handlebar forgings as directed in the installation instructions, the grips are too high for my comfort and place stress on my wrists. I rotated mine back a bit in a compromise between where I would like them and what I could achieve by keeping the brake master cylinder mostly level. I haven't decided if I will just remove the bar-backs completely. I certainly would not buy them again, knowing what I know now.

Cap

Thanks Cap, that's very helpful. I didn't realize until I read your post that the reservoirs can't be rotated without clearance issues. Upon closer inspection I can see the issue. Nothing is simple anymore, lol.

It's not that bad if I slide forward on the seat but I really would prefer 2-3" less reach for a more upright posture.

Thanks for the heads up.

I am 6'0 and also needed that extra 1 more inch back. I was not happy with the cable clearances when I set them at the same angle as the bar mount. I ended up taking a dremel with sand paper bit to the master cylinder support bracing where it was hitting the bar backs. I slowly chewed on the soft aluminum until i was happy with the angle. My clutch and brake reservoirs are still leaning a little, but not enough to cause issues. After making these changes the cable clearances actually improved to my surprise! I figure when its time to change brake and clutch fluids I will just mark the bars with a sharpie where i like them, make the reservoirs level to change fluid, and them move them back to my marks.

...I ended up taking a dremel with sand paper bit to the master cylinder support bracing where it was hitting the bar backs. ...

Boxflyer told me in a PM that he did something similar. For those who are wondering about this, the bottom of the master cylinder casting has a small ridge on it. I'm not sure why BMW put the ridge there, but it can be removed without harming the piece. Removing the ridge will allow some extra adjustment of the bar-backs.

Thanks guys. I have decided I will live with the stock setup. I prefer not to go with a solution that adds any significant amount of height. The bars already feel too tall to me. On my camhead and my GT the bars are lower and I got used to that.

Back