• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How Accurate is the Speedo?

What? 97%! So when my speedo said 120 numerous times while I was passing a few cars on highway 14 between Richland Center and Lacrosse this weekend, I was actually doing only about115?

Once last year, I deceived to pass that fifth car and gave it a go. As I passed the speedo on my Bandit was 114. I looked over and the car said “Sheriff” on the door. He stopped me and wondered where I’d come from, but didn’t ticket me. He wasn’t on traffic duty.

Seems to be a Europe thing to have the speedometers read high.
The speedometer in our last 3 Chevys are spot on.

All of my bikes and my Elements were between 5 & 8% low on the speedo, easiest way to tell is run with your GPS. My new to me Acura MDX is about 1-2%. It pays to know for certain.

I can only speak for my R9T using a gps.
Anywhere from 3 to 6 MPH fast.
Seems the faster you go, the more optimistic it is.

My Dodge Durango and Kia Optima are spot on. My RT reads 2mph faster than actual up to 70 mph and +3mph from 75 mph on.

An old document, but illustrative of BMW’s approach to speedometer accuracy.

View attachment 73939

When it comes to stupid that ranks right up there. The part labeled "Important Note" is as dumb as a box of rocks. It says, we know it is wrong and your GPS is right but use the speedometer anyway. Sheesh! The arrogance is astounding.

My Dodge Durango and Kia Optima are spot on. My RT reads 2mph faster than actual up to 70 mph and +3mph from 75 mph on.

Yep. :banghead

My Japanese, Italian and American made scooters were always right on even with new/different tires. But not my German one.

Obviously the Germans are smarter than the Japanese, Italians or Americans. :scratch

GD

Approx 97 mph.

Lee, I don’t know how you got three percent, whether you measured it with a gps, but to me it seems more like the ten percent mentioned in the document. I have to be going 80 on the super slab just to keep up.

My 2016 RS reads 135 GPS says 127. But It is pretty much Wrong even at low speeds 60 on the Speedo is about 57.
I hate the Display on this bike Speedo is the only thing readable above 60 and it is wrong. When I say readable I mean I am not going to look down long enough to get a view of the really important cues.
Gator in Dallas

Lee, I don’t know how you got three percent, whether you measured it with a gps, but to me it seems more like the ten percent mentioned in the document. I have to be going 80 on the super slab just to keep up.
Can't remember at 100 but in the 75 to 80 mph range the speedometer reads 2.5 to 3 mph higher than the GPS.

Deutscher Gerätefehler

It's not just a BMW motorcycle thing; every BMW auto I've had displayed the same speedometer variance from GPS-determined speed.

Mark

Think about how fast one has to ride "just to keep up" out there in the Great Plains. Speed limits are frequently (usually?) your "keeping up" speed. I have driven so many miles at 85+ that I cannot even keep count.

Good luck.

I led a club ride a few weekends back. One of my pre ride statements was the fact that most of the bikes displayed at least 3-5mph slower than actual speed. My point was if I was going 70mph at the front by GPS or knowledge of the bike I was on, to not think I was speeding:banghead It always comes up.

Only the authority model RT's with a different gauge cluster is calibrated to actual speed...you know why they do that:whistle The faceplate on the RT Authority even has wording to that effect the last time I looked.

Our KTM's are fairly spot on, none of our Beemers are. H is in the keeping pace mode anyways and she admits not a fixated on display person...works for her... I get to stop on the side of road and chat...she gets a pass:dance

Run at 4K rpm, look at gps, divide speed by four, get mph/thousand rpm. Extrapolate. Mine is 16.8mph per thousand. Everything is taken into account. Tires, gear, etc. Warning, wait till yer stopped, off the bike, to do the division. Just saying, FWIW. Or just look at gps not the speedo.

When i am riding at 50 MPH on my RT, my GPS records 48 MPH. Multiply by two and 100 MPH on the bike would actually be 96 MPH on the GPS.

My 1967 R60/2 with a 3.5" rear tire at an indicated 50 MPH is dead accurate. With a 4" rear tire it is not accurate.

Run at 4K rpm, look at gps, divide speed by four, get mph/thousand rpm. Extrapolate. Mine is 16.8mph per thousand. Everything is taken into account. Tires, gear, etc. Warning, wait till yer stopped, off the bike, to do the division. Just saying, FWIW. Or just look at gps not the speedo.

I was told there would be no math on this thread.

Back