• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2011, R1200RT crash guards

highlandboy

I am looking for input on engine and crash guards for my new to me R1200RT. I am considering the Illium guards but they are expensive. My Kawasaki VoyagerXII had guards and I feel a bit vulnerable without them.

Those worked out really well, fast shipping, low cost. There are some issues in that they have to come off in order to remove the side fairings but, for the money, you simply can't beat them. Only the bars protecting the valve covers have to come off and that's just 6 8mm bolts and a couple of 3.5mm set screws.

This winter I'm going to buy a set of ZTechniks.

can't see the link....but sure they are knock-offs of Wunderlich....Pappy is right, they must be removed to remove the fairings and only adds a few minutes to the task and i doubt they would be much help in a decent speed get-off...BUT, they do protect in a tip over...the pannier bars hinder the pillions ability to place toes on the pillion pegs....

2013 R1200RT.JPG

can't see the link....but sure they are knock-offs of Wunderlich....Pappy is right, they must be removed to remove the fairings and only adds a few minutes to the task and i doubt they would be much help in a decent speed get-off...BUT, they do protect in a tip over...the pannier bars hinder the pillions ability to place toes on the pillion pegs....

My RT came with the Wunderlich guards. Valve covers come off with no interference. I can (carefully) remove the lower fairings without removing the guards. Remove the fairing screws, lift the fairing up a quarter inch and lean the top a little bit outward, then rotate the fairing forward around the cylinder, keeping an eye on the portion under the cylinder as it moves to the rear. Installation is the reverse, just go slow. If the fairing does not move freely, stop and adjust the position and angle. No scratches or dings so far, but a rag on the flat bars of the lower guard might provide some extra peace of mind.

My RT came with the Wunderlich guards. Valve covers come off with no interference. I can (carefully) remove the lower fairings without removing the guards. Remove the fairing screws, lift the fairing up a quarter inch and lean the top a little bit outward, then rotate the fairing forward around the cylinder, keeping an eye on the portion under the cylinder as it moves to the rear. Installation is the reverse, just go slow. If the fairing does not move freely, stop and adjust the position and angle. No scratches or dings so far, but a rag on the flat bars of the lower guard might provide some extra peace of mind.

sounds good Larry...i prefer to remove the guards....maybe 2 min per side....:thumb

Definitely Wunderlich knocks-offs but at one-third the price and the same, if not better, quality, they were a no brainer. I'd be willing to bet money they came from the same factory. I can't imaging how you'd get the fairing off with the bars installed.

Back