• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sad saga of my R1200RT ('06)

tasslehawf

My RT has been out of commission for about 4 months now. i full charged and recovered my Odyssey battery and just replaced the alternator belt, but I'm still seeing the same behavior - the bike comes on at the proper voltage, but it steadily drops until - I would assume - the bike shuts off for lack of power. I guess I'm going to start thinking about taking it to a shop.

Age of battery?
If you attach another battery, like you were going to give the bike a jump, does it stay running?
Is this something that happens in 15 minutes?
If you have even a basic volt-ohm meter, you should be able to see this going on.
Let us know.
OM

What is the voltage at the battery when the engine is running? It needs to be roughly 14 volts. My guess it your alternator is shot.

If I put a volt meter on the battery, and starting the bike, the voltage starts at about 14.4 v and drops .01 v every couple seconds.

Age of battery?
If you attach another battery, like you were going to give the bike a jump, does it stay running?
Is this something that happens in 15 minutes?
If you have even a basic volt-ohm meter, you should be able to see this going on.
Let us know.
OM

The battery is about 2 years old. An Odyssey. It was fully discharged, but I was about to recover it after trying the method the Odyssey CS told me.
I got a second battery, but it does that same thing (voltage drops consistently every couple seconds).

When I replace the alternator belt, I checked the alternator and it still turned OK fwiw. Also the bike only has about 19k miles.

Back