• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F700 knocking noise, can you help me troubleshoot?

LongRider2

A new noise . . .trying to figure this out. The noise happens in first gear and lasts only as long as quick acceleration. Kind of a knocking sound from right side rear wheel area, maybe. No rhythm to the knock. Intermittent in first gear and only under fairly robust acceleration (not crazy); very easy acceleration does not initiate this knock. Up shift and up to speed = no issues. Chain appears to be within spec (measured it!). Axle nut torqued to spec. Chain has about 4400 miles on it. Like usual, the chain has tight an loose spots. What am I missing to get rid of this annoyance, or is it something more sinister? Brake calipers checked for tightness and I cannot find anything else loose. I can say with 95% certainty the sound is not coming from the engine area.

Bike is new to me and this did not happen 100 miles ago. The only changes I have made have been preload and damping adjustments, chain clean and lube (it appeared to have been neglected ). I am thinking that it is something I contributed to, but have no idea what that might have been.

What do you think?

thanks so much!

,Longrider,

There is an unwritten rule on these forums; If you post a problem on these forums, you must post the final solution/result.

The purpose of these forums is not only to help solve an individuals issue, but to educate the whole community about things that they might encounter. It helps people, even years from now, search for similar symptoms and possibly easily find a solution. It also helps us from having the same issue if it was something that was "operator error".:thumb

Don't be embarassed if it's something stupid. If it happened to you, it could happen to others. We've all accidently done dumb things (even me), (once), (but it wasn't my fault), (and you can't prove it was me), (besides, nobody saw me do it), (and the sheep are LYING!).:bolt

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
Yeah I suppose that I was embarrassed about the final outcome, and wanted to let everyone know not to “waste” their breath!

While I was almost certain the “noise” was coming from the rear of the motorcycle, I am convinced that I was mistaken. More accurate was my description of the noise being a “knocking “ one! A measured dose of seafoam into a new tank of gas seems to have been a miracle cure. I changed nothing else. After the sea foam, the symptoms continued for about 5 miles or so then mysteriously disappeared. I have not been able to replicate the knocking sound since.

Lesson? Buy my gas from my tried and true source! I don’t think i would have put in lower octane because I always get the good stuff. Maybe the station had bad gas? What ever the reason, I am thrilled that the fix was way too easy.

Many apologies for not being more “informative” at the outset.

No apologies needed.

You told us where you perceived the sound to be coming from. It is a good lesson to us all, sounds don't always come from where you perceive them while riding a motorcycle.

What you were experiencing was detonation (or engine knock) caused by fuel that did not have adaquate anti knock properties (low octane). Ignition timing that is too far advanced can cause the same problem. Sounds like you are aware of this, so this is for those that aren't.

Thanks for the update.:thumb

:dance:dance:dance

Back