• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Up arrow next to gear indicator on 2017 wethead

brhartw

Hi

I've scoured my owners manual and still unable to determine what the up arrow next to gear indicator means.

Is it telling me to upshift? I tried that and it went away, only to come back just a few rpms later.
If that is an upshift, it seems to come pretty fast.

Thanks for your expertise.

Yes, pretty sure that's what you're seeing. It can be disabled via the settings using the WonderWheel. From what I remember, it's set to save fuel at the expense of lugging the engine so I disabled it shortly after I got my 16 RT.

It has me shifting into high gear pretty early.

There is a setting somewhere to turn it off?

Thanks

Yes, pretty sure that's what you're seeing. It can be disabled via the settings using the WonderWheel. From what I remember, it's set to save fuel at the expense of lugging the engine so I disabled it shortly after I got my 16 RT.

Ah!

Its under vehicle, shift indicator.

Got it!

According to the owner's manual for the '19 RT, the only symbol shown next to gear selector is the Circle H for Hill Start Control, which is to the right of the gear digit (or N) and slightly up. I have yet to see any up arrow, but I have not really been paying attention to it. I am curious to see if it is on the '19 model.

So it lights up and then goes out? Maybe it comes on at the peak of the torque band. Do you have access to a GoPro so you can record it and run it through the RPM's? I curious about whether that is an option or if it is standard and nobody ever noticed it before. I have only had my new RT since January and coming from a 2000 model oil head, I am still learning the technology on these BMWs.

Thanks,
William

I am curious to see if it is on the '19 model.

It is. I turned mine on to see when BMW thought the boxer should be shifted. It does indeed seem to want you to short-shift all the way to 6th quite quickly and then stay there. I don't really notice it now.

Thanks! I will look for it on mine.

Use your Quick manual for menu and audio system card.
Under settings vehicle shift indicator. You can turn it off or on depending what you prefer.

It definitely has you up shifting pretty early.

Use your Quick manual for menu and audio system card.
Under settings vehicle shift indicator. You can turn it off or on depending what you prefer.

It definitely has you up shifting pretty early.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I looked all through the OM and found that the settings need to be done while stopped and never found a reference to the shift arrow. I made a concerted effort to look for that arrow and it never appeared; I am guessing that the function was never activated. I may try it out for grins.

I thought it meant you were in the zone for using the PSA clutchless shifts. Which doesn't matter, because I just ignore it and shift when I'm ready.

Back