• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New RT rider!

nsarvai

Hey all,
Just traded in my 94 K75 for a new R1200RT. It has been sitting in the shed and today was the day it came out. I ended up riding 150 miles today. I love this bike.
One problem though, my right shoulder is killing me. I have been looking around at other forums and everyone else says they love the Ilium Works bar risers. Does anyone else have this problem, or am I just a 28 year old whimp?
Thanks in advance!

Bar risers

Hey all,
Just traded in my 94 K75 for a new R1200RT. It has been sitting in the shed and today was the day it came out. I ended up riding 150 miles today. I love this bike.
One problem though, my right shoulder is killing me. I have been looking around at other forums and everyone else says they love the Ilium Works bar risers. Does anyone else have this problem, or am I just a 28 year old whimp?
Thanks in advance!

Well, I ride a 2016 R1200RT, and I added the Ilium Works bar risers and they solved my shoulder pain for long riding days. I love my RT, and I am happy that Spring is here! Ride safe!

I use the Ilium risers too. My pain was between my shoulder blades. It would hit after about an hour and nothing would relieve it but getting off the bike. No pain with the risers. I suggest that you rent the tool from Ilium to put the risers on. It greatly simplifies things.

Welcome to the forum.

My new 1250rt does not result in shoulder problems, but my knees suffer. Waiting on a high seat and hw pegs.

Another +1 for the Illium risers. They do give you a bit of adjustment that should be there. I mean, BMW has tilt and telescoping steering the cars, why not a bit of adjustment on the bikes?! For me it was numb thumb, and the risers alleviate that problem.

And no, you are not a wimp, you ride, so that removes the wimp factor.

Congratulations! I may be a 79-year-old wimp.

http://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Accessories.cfm?pn=30-500&pID=103

bar-backs.jpg

Thanks guys,
I am going to get the risers and will rent the tool to put them on. I saw a video online using the tool and it just looks so much easier with it.

Hey all,
Thanks in advance!

I'm 53 and I don't get any shoulder pain on my 2016 RT (or my previous 2005 RT). I don't think it has anything to do with being a whimp, just whether or not the ergonomics of the bike match up with your body.

Personally, I'd ride it for a couple of weeks and see if the issue resolves itself through you getting used to it and relaxing on the bike. If the issue is no better, then get the risers.

Highway pegs

Thanks guys,
I am going to get the risers and will rent the tool to put them on. I saw a video online using the tool and it just looks so much easier with it.

Great! After that then, add the Ilium Works engine guards with their highway pegs, then you’ll be riding in comport. IMHO, although YMMV! 😎

Great! After that then, add the Ilium Works engine guards with their highway pegs, then you’ll be riding in comport. IMHO, although YMMV! 😎
First thing I did was install the engine guards. I have the back guards too for the saddle bags (or panniers) I will be installing them closer to summer time.

Been a while since I posted here. Had an 04 1200 gt until a few months ago and now ride a black (dark blue) 18 1200 rt and couldnt be happier. I have the illium fronr and back crash bars with illium highway pegs to stretch out, but no risers yet. 300 mile days no pains yet, but good to know about risers. 2000 miles, to early to tell about risers or a new seat. A great bike off the line.

I'm 53 and I don't get any shoulder pain on my 2016 RT (or my previous 2005 RT). I don't think it has anything to do with being a whimp, just whether or not the ergonomics of the bike match up with your body.

Personally, I'd ride it for a couple of weeks and see if the issue resolves itself through you getting used to it and relaxing on the bike. If the issue is no better, then get the risers.

I think this is good advice. I have found over the 30+ years of riding and buying bikes that it is always best to ride it a bit and see what you really need. As far as your shoulder pain .... I think that is a personal issue and specific to you and the bike you are riding. I have had bikes that resulted in shoulder pain and others that have not. My first BMW was a '97 R1100RT that I loved but could just not get comfortable on it. After 18 months I swapped it for a new '02 GS and the fit was perfect. Subsequent BMW's included a '05 K1200LT, '06 RT, '12 GSA and my current '16 RT none of which resulted in the shoulder pain I experienced on the '97 RT. So I chalked it up to just a bad bike fit for me. Not sure about my new '18 GSW that I picked up last week but hoping it too will be pain free.

The risers may certainly help but not always. Ride if first and see how it works out. It may also be your body just getting accustomed to a new bike and riding position. I am 6'3" and don't use risers on my RT. In addition I thought the more bent knees would be an issue on the '16 RT for me but not at all. So you just never know.

Regardless of what you do about risers I would strongly recommend adding some cylinder head guards. MachineArtMoto are my favorites for the RTW but there are lots of options. Some guys go the crash bar route but that is another personal preference and I just don't like the looks of crash bars on an RT. But either option works and will save your valve covers in a tip over.

Good luck and do post some pics!

Here is what the MAM guards look like. Subsequent to this photo I also added Illium Works Rear Case Guards.

RTW3.jpg

I have been tweaking my bike to make it fit me. I have a 2018 R1200RT and I am 5'8" with a 30" inseam. I started with putting the seat in the low position, but the bike was still a little tall. I also felt like I was leaning forward into the handlebars when I rode and was getting hand numbness, so I had the Illium Bar Risers installed. They made a big difference in how I feel on the bike and the numbness was massively reduced. I then added the BMW Low seat. This made my feet touch almost flat and I felt more in touch with the bike; however it created a new issue. Once I got the low seat I took a 100 mile ride and my legs felt a little cramped. later that evening I wound up with a strain to my right hip flexor. To resolve my hip flexor issue I then had the Wunderlich Foot Peg Lowering Kit installed. So, I believe I have made the necessary changes to make mt RT fit me. I also had the Wunderlich motor, case and faring guards installed. All I can say is all of it has been worth the money.

R1200RT 2.JPG

R1200RT 1.jpg

Bar Risers.JPG

Low Seat.JPG

Lowered Pegs.JPG

Back