• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

adjusting 2019 R1250 RT throttle grip resistance

WWeldin

Hello,

Does anyone know how to increase the resistance on the throttle grip for the RT with throttle by wire? It is too easy to roll on/off the throttle and I have not become accustomed to it yet. I basically have to partially palm the end bar weight to allow a more steady throttle control. I am used to a 2000 R1200C that has good tension from a cable wire.

Attached is a view of the bottom side of the throttle. There is a silver screw (?) that has a specific type head for a specialty tool (guessing.)

Thanks in advance.

20190202_130337-1.jpg

First off, congrats on the 1250 acquisition :thumb

Having a bike with TBW, it is a total different feel and input that takes some getting used to as it responds snappy quick to me. When I swap bikes to cable systems it is a large difference.

Haven't read or heard of any adjustment and would be leery of trying that screw yet. Have you asked the local service department?

First off, congrats on the 1250 acquisition :thumb

................. Have you asked the local service department?

Thanks for the congrats.

No, I have not asked the dealer's tech yet. I guess I can, once I put it in for the first (free) service. I was wondering if anyone knew if it was a possible DIY. It could not hurt to ask since the 1250 RT was still using the prior years' chassis.

What riding mode do you have your bike set in, rain, normal, or sport (my names may be wrong, the intent is correct). Your selection will affect the response to the throttle respectively. I found for me keeping it in the "rain" mode work best for my not so sensitive & steady hands. The rain selection does seem to quiet down the WTB control response. Please note, I am not talking about the mode suspension settings for the bike, which are similar in names but refer to single riding, with load, and with two up. :wave

That appears to be an "anti-tampering" type of screw. Notice that the screwdriver slot is formed to allow tightening but not loosening. I believe it just holds the throttle housing together. When my '16 RS was new, I inquired of the tech if any "free play" could be adjusted into the throttle as I was having trouble adjusting to the throttle action. He said no- that there was no adjustment in the system. I might suggest that you use "Rain" mode until you get used to it- Less aggressive throttle response. After a few hundred miles I wasn't even thinking about it any more.

Frank

OP: maybe give it some time? If your past bike was a "stiff throttle" type of machine, you may just be adjusting to the new bike. And ride by wire or throttle by wire may seem a lot different. Dunno.:scratch

I know that when I get a new bike, the prior bike imprinting is massively strong and it take time to adjust to the new steed. :dance

BTW... my 2016 RTW (going from a non ride by wire (2008 FJR) to a ride by wire) is brilliant in terms of throttle response. Ride by wire is the bees knees.

I appreciate all the input. I sort of figured it was something that I will have to get used to. Coming up on my second full week on the new ride, so time will tell. I guess I am going to need to ride it some more as a remedy. More miles, more smiles. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

We had some rain on Wednesday and I rode with it in RAIN mode. The streets were wet enough for me to switch the mode from ROAD. I really did not notice (or pay more attention to) reaction to the throttle, but I ride easy when wet anyway.

As I read more about it, the 1-up, 2-up selections are gone as the settings for suspension are automatically adjusted for the weight.

Cheers,
William

I had the same issue on my Triumph. I put brake grease between the handlebar and the grip tube. This added some resistance to the throttle and made it better. Kinda sucks when it gets cold though.

My biggest issue was when standing, I would flick the throttle on bumps. I guess if I was better at relaxing my grip and holding on more with with my legs, this would be less of an issue.

My concern is exactly the opposite. On my new 2020 BMW S1000XR which has the ETC (Fly by Wire) throttle, I found it to be a very heavy weighted return spring. I don't tend to grip the throttle tightly and so I'm finding, with a loose grip over bumps, was that the throttle tries to snap closed a bit, and this results in a not very smooth ride. Bumpy roads = jerk ride.
I spoke to the Master Mechanic at the BMW Motorad shop near me and was told that the throttle bar assembly is not serviceable and I would void my warranty if I opened it. :-(
So it sounds like at this point I will need to start lifting some weights or do some dumbbells' curbs so that I can work the throttle on this bike, with out being exhaust after two hours. Mind you this bike has an awesome cruise control system that works amazing, but that doesn't help me when I'm in the twisties and trying to have some fun. I previously had the Ducati Multistrada and think I'm comparing the two throttles. The Multi had an amazingly easy throttle tube to turn, which I really like, because the bike took off like a bullet with very little effort!
If anyone knows of how to reduce the throttle spring on these new units, I'm all ears!

I ended up adding Grip Puppies to help me with my issue. That and got more used to it.

I installed a friction throttle lock (Kioki or Wunderlich) to aid in my adjustment. Honestly, it took about 2-yrs to relax my twitchy throttle hand. Too many years of riding with a throttle thumb screw.

Some other owner, just trapped an O-ring between the throttle grip and the bar end weight.

Hello,

Does anyone know how to increase the resistance on the throttle grip for the RT with throttle by wire? It is too easy to roll on/off the throttle and I have not become accustomed to it yet. I basically have to partially palm the end bar weight to allow a more steady throttle control. I am used to a 2000 R1200C that has good tension from a cable wire.

Attached is a view of the bottom side of the throttle. There is a silver screw (?) that has a specific type head for a specialty tool (guessing.)

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 72573

My 2019 1250RT (delivered Nov 2018) is the first TBW bike that I've ever owned. When I first got it, I asked myself this very same question. I did some research and could not find anything on an adjustment. However, now that I've lived with this bike almost two years, I no longer feel the need for adjustment. Basically, I got used to it. Now it feels completely natural and a cable throttle feels, well, primitive. Also, the feel is not just the TBW, it's the fact that the throttle response on the 1250s is instant, almost electric motor response. No manual throttle could ever be as fast. You will get used to it and you'll be able to modulate the throttle just fine. I have around 700-750k on bikes with throttle cables and was able to adjust with no problem. You'll be fine :bliss

you might try getting an rubber o ring that is large enough to go between the bar end and grip , this may give you the desired effect . just make sure its not to tight that it wont let the throttle release when you take your hand off

Back