• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Beta Blockers and Riding

swall

I'm 69 and have been riding for 52 years. My doctor just prescribed a beta blocker for my blood pressure and I was wondering how this drug could affect my riding. I would like to hear your experiences with this situation.

Swall:

How will beta blockers affect your riding? Probably not at all.

I, too, am 69. I've been on metoprolol (one of the most prescribed beta blockers) for about ten years. I suffer little to no side effects. It doesn't figure into my riding at all.

Having said that, everybody is different and YMMV. My suggestion is pay attention to how you feel, particularly for the first month or so you're on the medication and act prudently.

For most of my life I had good blood pressure, if anything slightly lower than normal. It was not uncommon for me to get momentarily light headed if I stood up too quickly after sitting quietly for an extended period. That went away with age and as life's pressures did their worst on me. Now, with the metoprolol, that symptom has returned. Not often, but it's there. Fortunately riding is active enough (who knew sitting on a bike was "active"?) that I never have an episode when around the bike.

Good luck with it! If you have issues, for heaven's sakes see your doc about it. If you have a side effect a change in dosage or medication may very well take care of it.

I'm not a trained medical person but I'm pretty sure my wife-in-command (a retired RN) would be upset with me if I didn't close with gently reminding you to take your meds as prescribed. Hypertension isn't called "The Silent Killer" for no reason.

As Bobby McFerrin advises, "Don't worry; be happy!"

I'm 69 and have been riding for 52 years. My doctor just prescribed a beta blocker for my blood pressure and I was wondering how this drug could affect my riding. I would like to hear your experiences with this situation.

Why not ask your doctor this question?

I would like to hear your experiences with this situation.

Swall - I've been prescribed beta blockers for about 30 years now. The two effects which I've noticed are a reduction in my heart rate (usually about 55BPM most of the time), and a general feeling of calmness in what could be high-stress situations. I never had the lightheadedness or dizziness symptoms, although my doctor did warn me about those.

I imagine that the drug data sheet which came with the product will have a list of potential side-effects. I just looked at my Metoprolol bottle, and it says something about taking care when using alcohol or marijuana, beware of dizziness and take care when operating a vehicle, water-craft or machinery.

As with many medicines, the size of the dosage can have a dramatic effect, as well as the time of day when you take the beta-blocker.

Thanks, guys. The main issue I was looking at was the dizziness or light headedness if you suddenly change positions, like if you have been riding for an hour, then stand up on the pegs to stretch.

You're going to hate me for this...

I'm saying this as a guy who's doctor said "You are a candidate for a cardiac event."

You can exercise your way out of this condition with low impact aerobic exercise. I did it with running to start, but running isn't for everyone. Rowing is actually better than running for someone our age. I row a minimum of 15 minutes a day at least 3 days a week. Here's the thing, if you row or use a nordic track like device, not only will you correct this issue long term, you'll gain strength.

There's some new controversy about the role of cholesterol and if beta blockers are actually helpful long term. I'm not a doctor, but I'd recommend reading counter-arguments to make an informed decision.

I can't tell you about whether you can take beta blockers and ride, but you'll likely never get off them if you start.

I'm not telling you what to do, that's your decision. I'm only recommending an alternative that will likely have a greater long term benefit because it worked for me and a lot of people have had great results. If the doctor didn't mention "Diet and exercise" I wouldn't trust his judgement. Yes, it's a pain in the ass to start but you'll be a well tuned machine

Thanks, guys. The main issue I was looking at was the dizziness or light headedness if you suddenly change positions, like if you have been riding for an hour, then stand up on the pegs to stretch.

I'm low dose Atenolol, 15 years, I'm 52. I do not get any of this. If I do not take it, I get skipped beats. I too feel the calming affects.

I am 76 and take 50mg metoprolol and 2-1/2 mg lisinopril. You should not be light headed when you get up from a chair if so you are on too much medication. I try to ride my R1200gsw each day, 25,000 miles on an 2016. Your body will tell you if you are at the right blood pressure.

Metroprolol 25mg, Lisinopril 40mg, Hydroclorothiazide 25mg, given all this and the high dosages maybe it's no surprise I occasionally suffer dizzy spells (usually if I get up too fast or immediately start walking quickly, and sometimes if I reach my arms over my head after standing). It doesn't happen daily, or even weekly, just occasionally. But I have NEVER had any issues while riding.

Effects of beta blockers

Your question is important, and you have gotten good answers.
I am a Family Physician, retired, who practiced about 40 years. As a whole, most patients did NOT have any problems with these drugs. (Of course, some did, and the suggestion that you try it for several weeks is a good one.) Beta blockers, and various sister drugs, have been around about 30 years.
And a great many patients, even if they reduce weight, eat better, etc., still benefit from these drugs.

Patients seem to focus on drug side-effects; as I would tell them, EVERYTHING has "side effects" - even raising a teenager has side effects.....

Beta blockers slow down the heart rate and lower blood pressure, and they are also used for "performance anxiety" ; i.e. , when you have to speak before a group, or if you get nervous getting on an airplane, and so forth. So some of their "side effects" are beneficial.

When I prescribed beta blockers, or any drug for that matter, I would tell the patient to watch for any untoward effects, but if they had none in the first week, they usually could do anything they wanted to do. (If I'm not mistaken, you can even fly a plane when on beta blockers.)

Therefore, talk with your doctor, but if you have had no ill effects from the drug, you can do whatever you want...

What a concept! You mean ask the health professional instead of the (fill in this blank)?

But seriously, Doc; thanks for the info.

It did not appear that he was asking for medical advice; he wanted to know from riders, with similar meds, what to expect while riding. If the doctor also rides a motorbike, he may have a better real-world approach on what to inform his patient. Suffice it to say, the doctor will always err on the side of caution.

What a concept! You mean ask the health professional instead of the (fill in this blank)?

But seriously, Doc; thanks for the info.

This made me laugh. I'm a retired RN, BSN, worked mostly ER and ICU, and it's always amazed me that people will ask the nurse, ask the doctor, ask their family member who's a doctor or nurse, and then studiously follow the advice of their plumber/janitor/electrician/cashier etc. rather than the medical professional.

To the OP, Swall, you'll know in a couple weeks. There's some good advice above. You MAY be able to exercise your way out of this. If that works, great! If you do get on the beta-blockers, remember that you can't just suddenly stop. This can cause rebound hypertension or elevated heart rate and serious complications. I'm on Metoprolol twice a day, Losartan and Dyazide in my early 60's. I walk a couple miles a day, and usually stay pretty active. I wish I could still run, but my doctor, the one that put in the titanium knee says no. I listen to him. Good luck.

67 YO now,I've put over 100,000 miles on my bikes while taking Atenolol.

I haven't noticed any side effects while riding.

I do notice side effects while walking up a long grade or several sets of stairs in a row.
My heart just doesn't beat much faster than 140 BPM, resting pulse is between 50-55 BPM

I haven't noticed any lightheadedness when transitioning from seated to standing.

It did improve my putting on the golf course, LOL.

Good luck,
John

Yes, I just wanted to hear riders' experiences.
If the dose is right for you (i.e., you're not suffering from significant postural blood pressure changes) then if anything you will be a safer rider because you will be less inclined to overreact physically to panic situations :) As mentioned BB of a certain type are prescribed for performance anxiety and they work by dampening the physical 'fight or flight' response. BB's do not have direct sedating or calming effects, but as I say they blunt the sympathetic nervous system responses to panic, fear, excitement.

Last edited:
This made me laugh. I'm a retired RN, BSN, worked mostly ER and ICU, and it's always amazed me that people will ask the nurse, ask the doctor, ask their family member who's a doctor or nurse, and then studiously follow the advice of their plumber/janitor/electrician/cashier etc. rather than the medical professional.

To the OP, Swall, you'll know in a couple weeks. There's some good advice above. You MAY be able to exercise your way out of this. If that works, great! If you do get on the beta-blockers, remember that you can't just suddenly stop. This can cause rebound hypertension or elevated heart rate and serious complications. I'm on Metoprolol twice a day, Losartan and Dyazide in my early 60's. I walk a couple miles a day, and usually stay pretty active. I wish I could still run, but my doctor, the one that put in the titanium knee says no. I listen to him. Good luck.

What is even more humorous is when folks ask the professional about an internet search.

And don't even mention anything about Legal _whatever_.com to my uncle; he is a retired corporate attorney. I also chuckle when I mention the adverts on t.v. from well meaning attorneys soliciting business for injury cases. HA

Beta blockers

I'm a retired internal medicine doc. I've been taking metoprolol for decades to reduce extra heart beats ( ectopy ). I titrate the dose to keep my heart rate low. I've never experienced any problems with riding up to 600 miles a day. At 71, that's my limit. I've ridden in sweltering heat and yesterday in 20 degree weather and the drug doesn't bother me. BUT, it can blunt the body's natural "fight or flight" reaction to sudden emergencies by somewhat decreasing the effects of adrenaline when you need it. ( That is why it's often used for stage fright. ) Beta blockers can reduce stamina or your exertional capacity on higher doses, but it would rarely interfere with your daily activities. As mentioned in a previous post, I believe the FAA allows pilots to take beta blockers and fly. Legal disclaimer: I don't know anything about your situation, your health, other medical problems, other medications, etc. So, talk with the doctor who prescribed the drug if you experience any side effects or have questions. One warning: many physicians feel very negative about motorcycles based on what they have seen in their practice and ER's, so your doc may have a bias. My cardiologist keeps telling me riding isn't safe. He's right.

My cardiologist keeps telling me riding isn't safe. He's right.

My Mother-in-Law died as a direct result of her cardiologist deciding she needed a heart cath at the tender age of 88. This happened while she was hospitalized to work up a massive bruise on her leg after she tripped and fell during a daily walk, while on coumadin for her chronic afib, then subsequently had a cerebellar stroke after they stopped her anticoags so they could do the completely unnecessary, no criminal, heart cath. Quite frankly I feel way safer riding my RT then tangling w/ modern western medicine. In general life isn't particularly 'safe' either.

Back