• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2004 R1150-Replace Fuel Pump and Filter

brook.reams

B Reams
Folks,

I did this work as preventative maintenance for a friend who has a 2004 R1150GS. His bike had 72,000 miles on the original pump. My 2004 R1150RS pump failed at about 75,000 miles several years ago at an inconvenient place--is there ever a convenient place for a fuel pump to fail? :banghead.

I thought I'd document what I did for those who may want to do the same work. I wrote up the procedure with detailed photos here:

And I also made a video for those who find that more useful.

I hope this helps if you have to, or as a preventative maintenance item decide to, replace the fuel pump.

Best.
Brook Reams.

Thanks a million! After hearing the war stories about worming the pump plate out of and back into the tank, this increases my confidence in being able to do it...I know I'm overdue.

Thanks a million! After hearing the war stories about worming the pump plate out of and back into the tank, this increases my confidence in being able to do it...I know I'm overdue.

Hi Glenn,

I'm pleased this is helpful to you.

Best.
Brook.

Thanks for another great contribution Brook! I agree that fuel pump failures are always a PIA. Your post reminds me of one bright sunny morning when I pulled my '00 1100RT out of the shed. With my gear on and ready to go I turned the ignition on and uh oh... no fuel pump whine.
Kill switch, check. Side stand, check.
OK.. get off and start trouble shooting. This led to right side fairing removal to get at the fuel pump plug and I found the dead pump problem right there.

So yeah, it definitely killed my mood and the ride that day but hey, my tools were 10 feet away from the dead pump! It doesn't get more convenient than that! :thumb

Here's what I found in there:

P1010202.jpg

I was not amused when I discovered this because the bike had just been for it's 1st (and last) visit to my local BMW dealer to have them see if their fancy BMW synchronizer would get rid of the surging. What a journey of learning that started!
During that test the service manager recommended I have them change out the fuel filter as I had brought them the bike without any fairings to remove and it would be quick and easy. HOW could they not notice the pump intake sock was so deteriorated? It is literally right next to the fuel filter! So the lack of input filter let to junk getting sucked into the pump. I tried running it in reverse and all the usual tricks to no avail. It was burned out. But this incident turned out to be a great motivator and I decided I would do my own work on the oilhead from then on. It has never been back to that dealer and when I run into something I cannot handle I am fortunate to have GSAddict a ferry ride away.

SNIP...
So yeah, it definitely killed my mood and the ride that day but hey, my tools were 10 feet away from the dead pump! It doesn't get more convenient than that! :thumb
SNIP...

Well, your location for a pump failure was the better one by far. Mine was more of an adventure, being at the intersection of I-35 and I-80 in a construction zone. My wife who was following me on her F650GS wondered why I was pulling over where there is almost no shoulder with traffic roaring by. Many hours later we got the bike out of there and repaired in Iowa City and the next day continued to the UP in Michigan.

I hope this helps if you have to, or as a preventative maintenance item decide to, replace the fuel pump.

What a great video. I watched the whole thing even though I don't have that model bike. Mr. Reams has a very methodical way of working which is transferable to different motorcycles. :thumb

On par with Chris Harris without the colourful language. :D

Thank you.

Wish I had seen this before I did this on my R1200c this last week. Shoulda seen the part about getting a new o-ring. Mine is leaking no matter what I do but it's rock hard. heheh

Folks,

I did this work as preventative maintenance for a friend who has a 2004 R1150GS. His bike had 72,000 miles on the original pump. My 2004 R1150RS pump failed at about 75,000 miles several years ago at an inconvenient place--is there ever a convenient place for a fuel pump to fail? :banghead.

I thought I'd document what I did for those who may want to do the same work. I wrote up the procedure with detailed photos here:

And I also made a video for those who find that more useful.

Best.
Brook Reams.

Wish I had seen this before I did this on my R1200c this last week. Shoulda seen the part about getting a new o-ring. Mine is leaking no matter what I do but it's rock hard.

I've seen several references on this site that the o-ring expands with fuel vapor exposure, but will shrink if allowed to dry out (frequently stated as "dry it out in the sun" but I'm pretty sure that's just an expedient, not a requirement).

Back