• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2004 R1150R - White Smoke On Startup

jbtex

New to the bike and am curious about white smoke coming out of the exhaust for a few seconds when doing a cold start. Also noticed that I have to keep my finger on the starter button for 2-3 seconds before the engine finally kicks in. Again, that is on a cold start.

Anything I need to check out further, or is this common? The bike has 18k miles on it.

Do you park it on the side stand? For a short time on the side this is normal on the oilheads. A load test check up would tell for a possible low battery.

Do you park it on the side stand? For a short time on the side this is normal on the oilheads. A load test check up would tell for a possible low battery.

Thanks, Eugene.

The dealer replaced the battery when I purchased it. I do park it on the side stand, yes.

Something else I observed: I had it out for a ride after it sat for 3-4 days and when starting up, it first misfired once and then started up. Bike always runs great once the engine is warm.

Curious, what happens when it is parked on the side stand?

It seems those bikes can have a bit of side to side oil migration when on the side stand. The similar threads panel at the bottom of this thread has some more info.
OM

When you are parking the bike after a ride, shut the motor off and hold the bike up leaning it to the right side for about 10-15 seconds. Then park on the side stand. Won't eliminate the smoke on startup entirely but that should help. Oil in the chamber slips past the rings when leaned to the left and then burns off when you start it.

As for other issue - I would do a basic tuneup. Check valves, clean big brass screws and the bypass port, sync throttle bodies, new properly gapped spark plugs. When starting, do you use the fast idle lever? It may not be working. Try holding the throttle open just a little when you next try a cold start. Take note that the Fast idle lever might be labeled "Choke", but it isn't a choke - it just holds the throttle open a little bit - if the cables are still adjusted right.

It seems those bikes can have a bit of side to side oil migration when on the side stand. The similar threads panel at the bottom of this thread has some more info.
OM

Still getting used to using the forum and searching. Those related links are a great help! Thanks for the tip. As for the side stand, with the added explanation below, that might be all that it is.

When you are parking the bike after a ride, shut the motor off and hold the bike up leaning it to the right side for about 10-15 seconds. Then park on the side stand. Won't eliminate the smoke on startup entirely but that should help. Oil in the chamber slips past the rings when leaned to the left and then burns off when you start it.

As for other issue - I would do a basic tuneup. Check valves, clean big brass screws and the bypass port, sync throttle bodies, new properly gapped spark plugs. When starting, do you use the fast idle lever? It may not be working. Try holding the throttle open just a little when you next try a cold start. Take note that the Fast idle lever might be labeled "Choke", but it isn't a choke - it just holds the throttle open a little bit - if the cables are still adjusted right.

Awesome suggestions! Thanks for taking the time to make the list of tune-up steps! Appreciate it.

1. Is it cool in the morning when you start the bike? If yes, you're seeing water vapour.

2. The "choke" lever is actually a fast idle lever. Make sure you pull it all the way up when you're first starting the bike. Its in front of your left hand grip right next to the clutch master cylinder.

Last edited:
The description of how the bike is starting sounds like normal operation to me. Same with the smoke, that happens sometimes when the bike is parked on the side stand and is nothing to worry about. Just a "feature" of the bike. Unless I am misunderstanding something I would not worry about either one.

New to the bike and am curious about white smoke coming out of the exhaust for a few seconds when doing a cold start. Also noticed that I have to keep my finger on the starter button for 2-3 seconds before the engine finally kicks in. Again, that is on a cold start.

Anything I need to check out further, or is this common? The bike has 18k miles on it.

The white smoke is, as others have noted, oil migration either down the valve stems or past the rings. If you ride and get the bike hot then park on the sidestand for 5 minutes, the onto the center stand for 5 minutes, what oil level do you see in the oil sight glass?

I had a 2004RT for many years, when it is tuned properly and everything on the bike is functioning correctly it will cold start in less than 1 second every time. Mine took 2-3 seconds but with persistence I got it to less than a second. Here is the suumary: http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=940789#Post940789

Also, here is the proper cable tensioning TB adjustment procedure, which may be needed to get your fast idle lever set correctly: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthrea...nd-Zero-Zero&p=1091142&viewfull=1#post1091142

Very good points and input from all! Truly appreciate all of it. Makes getting to know the ins and outs of this machine that much easier.

At this point after reading all the comments I decided that what I am observing is indeed normal for the bike/engine. I will try the trick of leaning the bike to the right after shut-off. Makes complete sense and is a suprising tip. :)

Actually I also do have these on cold starts with temps in the 30s and 40s in the mornings even though I keep my bike on the center stand overnights, inside an unheated and detached garage. I do need to hold the starter for a second or two and does smoke but goes away as I am driving it. I do have manual choke and set it according to the temperatures as the manual suggests it. I too have a new battery and my bike was just tuned/serviced by pro shop. So I think this is normal unless for others same/similar bikes start up right away with no smoke.

Back