• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My first BMW-could this be my first TRUE motorcycle?

love2sightsee

Been riding 50 years! Mini-bikes, QA50, SL70, Trail 90, XL100, CB550T, CX500 Custom, XL500, C50 Boulevard most recently (now put out to pasture after 13 years/105,000 miles) and my wonderfully fun TW200 that I’ll never get rid of EVER.

Enter the “retirement present”... after months of reviewing reviews, YouTube and more motorcycle forums I can count... I decided on a “fully loaded” BMW R1200RT (post 2014 model).

Apparently I’ve never really had a great motorcycle? I mean all my motorcycles were fairly good (Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, etc) and 50 years of riding without regrets BUT... holy cow! This BMW is in a league of its own. Never had I had such a riding machine!

I tip my hat to the engineers who built this wonderful thing they call a motorcycle.

So this newbie MOA member is looking forward to retirement and Global travels on 2 wheels!

I’ve been missing out... but NOW it’s GAME ON!

Attachments

• C2505C6C-89BD-44BF-B884-05CA6C56E5D8.jpeg
    C2505C6C-89BD-44BF-B884-05CA6C56E5D8.jpeg
    265.8 KB · Views: 115
Welcome to the forum!

(to the rest of us forum members) Don't we all remember when we were THAT excited about riding in general and about a specific bike? I know I do.

Being a new BMW owner myself, I agree with everything you said.
I have only been riding for 35 years though.:)

Last month I took my, then great, 2009 Kawasaki Concours to smoky mountains. I had two friends with me, one riding the same bike you got and his wife riding a 2018 K16000B.
I had a chance to ride both bikes for a lit bit.
The only conclusion a reached after that was that the Concours was no longer a 'great' bike.
It was a hard choice to make between the RT or the K. I finally 'settled' for the 18 K1600 GTL.

Congrats on your purchase. It is a gorgeous bike. :beer

Congrats on your retirement and welcome to the forum. When I bought my 2015 San Marino Blue RT, I was kinda neutral on the color. Now...the most favorite color I've ever owned...love it.

As mentioned by another poster, it really is the fastest color. :)

Great bike, Love2sightsee
I feel the same way, I bought my 1998 Anniversary edition R110R in July, and my insurance is going to end for the winter on Monday. (it has already frosted here where I live in Canada) but apart from the weather, my impression of my first BMW is that it is a professional grade vehicle. We both own bikes that have faster alternatives, or specs, but like you, I have a buzz in my head riding my bike I have never had before.

I wish you all the best,
Cam

Back