• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The Bicycling thread

Have stumbled on a few bicycle museums, always a treat to meet the owners and hear their stories about the bikes.
This one in the tiny town of Cumberland Gap was one of those. Had a lot of old school from Penny Farthing big wheels to an aero prototype.

92A60796-2C6F-478E-8B3B-4F8919547BBB.jpeg

D6EEEEB1-8A1A-4408-B832-6175E26B9A97.jpeg
4A1634D2-7F9E-4DE2-9C88-D9820AB4C200.jpeg

E3D0E10E-ABEF-4720-809D-8F0321B36420.jpeg
D895D212-12F2-401C-AAA8-221B76A69C82.jpeg

....I struck out on my own doing lawns and shoveling snow.

Pretty much what I did too. Mowing lawns and raking leaves. Shovelling elderly neighbors’ snow was considered a civic duty in my family, so not much opportunity to charge for it. By the time were were done with elderly neighbors, most everyone else was shovelled out.

Those are some cool old bikes from the ‘70s. The Stingray was an especially coveted model in our neighborhood growing up.

I picked this up years ago, never ridden, from a frustrated dad who’s kid wanted a video console. Yeah, it is an Orange County Choppers Schwinn, but still a cool bike and I would have loved to have back in the day if available. It has off sized Schwinn tires that I wonder if will be a available if needed.

6F3B2AAC-D0E6-48FF-BD45-D8594EA596C2.jpeg

82AF2A26-6618-4D06-8CC4-07C3037491E8.jpeg

58638343-C883-4B32-9204-62337D13F47E.jpeg

I am looking for the adult version with five speed hub and little better ergo for big people. Would make a fun beach cruiser

Back in our HS years, my brother who was an apprentice at a custom fab shop prior to starting his own business, was a gram chaser. The trend was drilling components and he did his thing

He took one of my old Reynolds 531 frames and made a fixie. His first set of bars were drilled more than these he anodized. One evening we were crossing traffic on a 4 lane divided boulevard with grassy median... The traffic was coming and he honked down to sprint the gap only to have the bars snap near the stem clamp... I looked back hearing the commotion to see him sliding and stopping in the safer median and cars locking brakes.
Some road rash and I pushed him home as he held pressure on some wounds and tried to one hand the half bar! We didn’t notify our parents of the circumstances at the time.

This setup was from his road bike that also had one of the first titanium freewheels we all drooled over, maybe Campy, that I have somewhere still

480A6F18-DA38-432E-BA71-D3E1A22B94F5.jpeg

5B4E896E-9E9E-40E7-920C-68BF2C11E9BF.jpeg

F1C8C61A-8110-44A9-952B-66FF6D2E7BA9.jpeg

Harsh? I've seen some serious crashes from broken bars.

I read an article no too long ago that asked what the single component of a motorcycle was that could not fail? The one thing that every manufacturer made with the single caveat that it must not fail under almost any circumstances. The bars.

Agree to disagree, a very common practice in 70’s and 80’s. Bicycles and motorcycles sported them.

Rode/raced and many miles with peletons full of drilled components and the failures were rare if any.When things broke, more often testosterone and human error prior and the crashes caused broken bits. My experience.
Internal cable routing required holes near quill stems and even some current folks are drilling for Di routing...yes, always debate. Fatigue failures happen and some could be from hole placement. Round smooth holes... and I am not a structural engineer, do not weaken structures... see them used in all types of stress bearing items. I am not scared of my drilled brake rotors exploding under hard repetitive use.

Anyways, we lived, continue to enjoy two wheels and have some great memories and stories after almost
60 years on pedals as I had to wait until I was maybe three to get my intro.
Taking up for my brother, who is not stupid , I will take offense any day at the reference.

Fair enough, we all have our opinions. I totally remember the drilling craze and saw all kinds of wild mods over the years. Personally I never bothered, I just went for the highest quality parts I could get on every build and the weight was what it was. Each to their own.

Agree to disagree, a very common practice in 70’s and 80’s. Bicycles and motorcycles sported them.

Rode/raced and many miles with peletons full of drilled components and the failures were rare if any.When things broke, more often testosterone and human error prior and the crashes caused broken bits. My experience.
Internal cable routing required holes near quill stems and even some current folks are drilling for Di routing...yes, always debate. Fatigue failures happen and some could be from hole placement. Round smooth holes... and I am not a structural engineer, do not weaken structures... see them used in all types of stress bearing items. I am not scared of my drilled brake rotors exploding under hard repetitive use.

Anyways, we lived, continue to enjoy two wheels and have some great memories and stories after almost
60 years on pedals as I had to wait until I was maybe three to get my intro.
Taking up for my brother, who is not stupid , I will take offense any day at the reference.

During history, technology pioneers were often regarded as "stupid"...until, everyone realized they were thinking way ahead of the crowd. Kudos to you and your brother for pushing the envelope and discovering at a young age that failure is the most common, and arguably the most important, type of progress.

Steve, there is a difference between manufacturing and testing for fatigue (e.g. your brake rotors) and DIY lightning of handle bars. One thing I find interesting is that components of ALL conveyance have been able to be made both lighter and stronger through modeling and testing. Specifically for handlebars, check out this video (it is kind of an ad but it is interesting to watch the testing process):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0stL5Q9b_oo

Similarly, when the erie canal was built, there wasn't a discipline of civil engineering. The building of the canal in the early 19th century was an instigator for the development of that science. So the bridges and aquaducts on the canal are impressively overbuilt. Those stone structures have stood for 200 years while everything around them has changed. You would never see that type of construction in the modern era. There is a neat documentary on this https://www.pbs.org/show/erie-canal-made-america/ - one of the interviewees is my friend, Dr. Sam Clemence, a professor of civil engineering at Syracuse University, and also an Ironman Triathlete (When he was younger: in his 60s).

Also, coming into this late, Skibum didn't say that your brother was stupid. He said one particular act was stupid. drillium on brake levers, shift levers, chain rings is no big deal (although if you quantify the effect of these weight saving, it ends up being a joke). Drilling bars, seat post, stem, seems silly to me. Your brother's experience seems to demonstrate this. Unless he was specifically focused on racing up hills, working on aerodynamics would have saved significantly more time in races. I wasn't a racer as a kid, so drillium for me really would have been stupid :).

Question:

What GPS head unit to get?

Currently use an ant+ head unit with no GPS. My phone is my nav unit and recording device. Would like to have some nav info on the handlebars AND ability to record data (power, HR, cadence, speed) for upload to Strava. Prefer easy to use, I don't have much patience with electronic gadgets. Will use for both training and touring.

Thanks for your thoughts.

One more thought on handlebar failure. I think one of the main causes of failure in aluminum bars is corrosion - particularly for those who live in hot places or use the bike on a trainer all winter. So if you are using aluminum bars and sweat, inspect periodically.

I had a seat post break on me once: it was one of those single bolt jobs and the bolt broke. I couldn't find the bolt, so I wasn't able to figure out how it happened. Luckily I was only a couple of miles from home so I just pedaled standing up (with a big penalty if I let my butt get too low). I don't use that type of post anymore (with a couple of exceptions: haven't swapped out folding bike post yet). Only the two bolt (like Thompson) or the 'round' ENVE style.

I think that was my only (non-flat) mechanical failure while riding my bicycle. Oh, I had a stick get caught in a rear derailleur while mountain biking and it destroyed the derailleur. Not the components fault.

Any good bike breaking stories out there? I've seen pictures of frames and forks breaking - but I've never witnessed this in real life. From my experience and observation, bikes and components are pretty robust: and have been for a long time. I do not have any experience with carbon frames. But, again, none of my friends with them have had any problems. I have one friend that has a really old TREK OCLV - I think it is carbon bonded into aluminum lugs - no problems.

All of these words because it is raining and I'm stuck inside...

I am amused by this thread where seasoned adults are pontificating about something a person did as a 15 or 16 year old. Thus they are applying their wisdom gained from advanced age to actions of a teenager. Duh! I am willing to bet that it would be a very rare person on this list, if any exist, who I couldn't criticize for what they did as a youth if only they were brave enough to admit it. Leave the kids alone.

Back