• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The Bicycling thread

This is my little fixie built about 14 years ago. The frame and Campy Record track cranks and wheels were new but most other parts were floating around. I had a track bar on it first but the downward curve of the tops didn't give enough leverage, It is a much nicer ride with the old school TT bars on there.
IMG_1842-L.jpg

That's an elegantly minimalist machine.

Thank you. When I built it I was wasting way too much time looking at the awesome builds at fixed gear gallery:

http://fixedgeargallery.com

That was where I pieced together the aesthetic that I was going for. I only wish I could get all of the parts with logos removed. That is my biggest beef with my Litespeed frame: the name is plastered all over: on both forks, on both seat stays, of course the down tube.

This is my little fixie built about 14 years ago. The frame and Campy Record track cranks and wheels were new but most other parts were floating around. I had a track bar on it first but the downward curve of the tops didn't give enough leverage, It is a much nicer ride with the old school TT bars on there.
View attachment 78193

Cool steamroller. What does it say on the left side of the top tube?

Did you build it for a specific reason? I wanted an early season training tool and a less expensive bike to commute on. I always intended it to be road geometry and matched it closely to my other road bike. At first I had a single front brake. After my first terror-filled ride down a hill (where I learned that removing your feet from the pedals just raises your center of gravity while keeping a meat grinder spinning below you :), I made it home and immediately put the rear brake on. I had the brake lever on, anyway. I tend to ride the hoods a lot.

I just built it as something to mess around on, I was repping mostly bike stuff including Surly and was riding XC, DH, road and was hanging out in Ottawa a lot so this was to be a bit of a commuter/coffee for me, you can see the flask carrier on it. When I moved back to Newfoundland I had to put a bigger cog on the back to deal with the hills we have. I too have spun out pretty hard on some big hills at home but I find the front brake is plenty to keep it in control. I did get a chance once to play bike polo on it and it was a great machine for that. The decal say "diabolicus racing" which was a little entity I created to go with the racing I was doing and the support I was giving to other racers. Diabolicus: left handed, of the devil.

I've got 2 Surly's, the other is a 1x1 single speed Mtn bike. Both of them ride really nice. Super simple machines.
IMG_0593.jpg

I don't think the branding was too much on my Litespeed
View attachment 78194

No, looks like yours is fine. You also have a Look fork. Mine is Litespeed branded. No idea who actually made it. I won't even try removing that from carbon. The rear could be removed with a lot of elbow grease but I just live with it. Hasn't been off the trainer in years, anyway.

Coming and going:

LSFront.jpg

LSRear.jpg

Oh yeah, yours has a lot more. The black down tube is interesting, is it carbon. I've ridden mine about 5 km's in the last 3 yeas! Gotta get out more! Mine was custom fitted and a custom build, it was insured for more than my 640 new. It's still a beautiful ride.

Oh yeah, yours has a lot more. The black down tube is interesting, is it carbon. I've ridden mine about 5 km's in the last 3 yeas! Gotta get out more! Mine was custom fitted and a custom build, it was insured for more than my 640 new. It's still a beautiful ride.

The black down (and top) tube and logos are painted. I like the paint. A little different than most Ti bikes. Mine isn't anything special - except that it fits me well and rides like a dream. I built it in early 2004. The Tuscany is adequately stiff. I don't notice any flex, but I'm not a powerful rider. The welds are really fantastic. The craftsmanship of a nice metal frame really appeals to me. A custom frame must be awesome. The one thing that I have to deal with now is that I ride with 30mm or so of spacers under the stem of the road bikes. But the gravel bike fits like a glove.

I can't say that I ride a ton but my Litespeed has 2200 km's on it since Jan 1st. All in Zwift! Outside: I have only ridden my fixed gear this year. I'm trying to get 500 miles before I ride geared. Probably 2 more rides. I don't really know why. I have no events planned. Maybe I'll just keep riding fixed all summer.

I know that fitness takes a while to come back - but remember the butt pain only lasts a few days. So get out there! You obviously want to: you are posting pictures on a bicycle thread in a motorcycle forum!

Is the riding nice in Newfoundland? It is a dream of ours to ride (motor) up there. We've toured NS & PEI but didn't have time for the ferry to NL. We've watched Dieter's slide show at 'The Return to Trenton' rally (a couple of times) and would love to do our own trans-Lab ride. If you've never made that rally, Dieter is a rip and a super nice guy.

My frame wasn't custom made but it was only made for a few years as it was 6/4 Ti and can't be drawn. All tubes were hand shaped and welded from sheet, it cost too much to build. The big tapered downtube gives this bottom bracket a lot of stiffness for super climbing capability. To me this frame is a beautiful piece of artistry and like yours it rides like a dream. JLambo over on ADV was up last summer and took it for a spin, he cane back drooling.

I've got 2 weeks of self isolation ahead of me when I get home so it will be awhile before I can leave my property.

Newfoundland has some of the most beautiful scenery on the continent, I speak from experience as I have been all over the whole continent. Lots of curvy ocean side roads and fun little roads to nowhere all over the place. There are some offroad options as well including the 900 km T'Railway across the island.

On the Trans Lab I think only 4 or 500 km's left unpaved, funny we're just talking about that on 2 other forums right now. Been a few years since I've been up there, I was working a lot in Churchilll Falls.

We're building a Moto B&B and were supposed to open this spring but obviously that's not going to happen, we'll see when we can.

Where is that Trenton rally? Will the new normal right now I don't see any trips off the island for me this year, I have a week long lighthouse tour I want to do around the island if I can pull it off. There was a Horizons Unlimited rally scheduled on the west coast for August but how likely is that?

Where is that Trenton rally? Will the new normal right now I don't see any trips off the island for me this year, I have a week long lighthouse tour I want to do around the island if I can pull it off. There was a Horizons Unlimited rally scheduled on the west coast for August but how likely is that?

The Trenton rally was located in Trenton, Ontario which is kind of midway between Toronto and Ottawa on the north shore of Lake Ontario. The only time the MOA internationally rally was held outside of the USA was in 2002 and it was held there. The club (Loonie-tic riders) instrumental to hosting that event had a yearly rally (the return) every year until a couple of years ago. Attendance just kept dwindling. I believe we last attended in 2016. I remember because I'm probably not welcome back. There was a lot of concern amongst my Canadian friends about the US's political situation. I tried to calm their fears: "don't worry, have faith that the voters in the states will do the right thing"... Kind of like "It's just a little flu..."

There won't be any rallies put on by responsible organizations until there is a vaccine or some other 'cure'. Even without restrictions, there are enough smart people out there who will self isolate to protect both themselves and their loved ones. That will limit attendance enough such that it would be foolhardy to try to organize something until there is public 'confidence' (for lack of a better word). If Corona beer sales can take a giant hit just because of the name, an outbreak caused by a large gathering would spell doom for the future of the organizers, I would imagine.

OK to get this back on to bicycles. I found an old pic of me using the Litespeed in the Lake Placid Ironman, 2004. I was training and racing like crazy back in those days and I have almost no pictures to document that time. Same with motorcycle trips. The convenience of smart phones has really changed my approach toward snapshots.

Kurt_bike (1).jpg

I know people in Trenton and I agree trying to organize a rally before things are settled out is a good route to suicide.

I was just posting pictures of fixies on another bicycle thread so here's the one I had in Taipei. It was super fun playing in Taipei traffic every day going to and from work.
IMG_0393-L.jpg

Replaced the cassette on ALAN, gave it a total clean up, swapped the tires front to back, ordered new cables, got new old stock ultegra equipment coming, (the 600 brakes are going on the shelf), checked and will reuse Wipperman chain, went with 11-25 cassette because I never use the low gears. Normally turn a 52 to 14 gear where I ride. Still waiting on the standard shimano spacer for the cassette. Got a new seat too. That's about it.

Last edited:
Replaced the cassette on ALAN, gave it a total clean up, swapped the tires front to back, ordered new cables, got new old stock ultegra equipment coming, (the 600 brakes are going on the shelf), checked and will reuse Wipperman chain, went with 11-23 cassette because I never use the low gears. Normally turn a 52 to 14 gear where I ride. Still waiting on the standard shimano spacer for the cassette. Got a new seat too. That's about it.

No pics = no good!

Pretty please?

I know people in Trenton and I agree trying to organize a rally before things are settled out is a good route to suicide.

I was just posting pictures of fixies on another bicycle thread so here's the one I had in Taipei. It was super fun playing in Taipei traffic every day going to and from work.
View attachment 78202

That is cool looking. Are those the same pedals as on the Surly?

Here is a picture of my wife's fixed gear. It is a Wabi (now in Tulsa, OK). 650c. Beautiful looking bike, but a weird geometry. Long and low. I'm picturing a very short person with really short legs and really long arms.

This bike doesn't get much use. I have a tendency to project my ideals onto my wife. Sometimes she humors me...

Wabi.jpg

This was a weird little bike that fortunately fit me ok. The pedals are whatever were on it, I have no idea. The pedals on the Surly came from my buddy's shop and I have no idea what they are either. When it comes to flats I mostly don't give a crap what they are as long as they are cheap. I did once buy a good set for my DH rig but ended up hating it and went back to clipless. I pretty much hate not being clipped in on any longer rides or when I rode DH. I have flats on the fixie just because now I only use it for scooting around the neighbourhood which is nothing, it was a great coffee bike when I lived in cities, not so much in a town of less than 100 people with not even a store. Not even sure what big the good flats are on, either the tandem or the 1x1.

This was a weird little bike that fortunately fit me ok. The pedals are whatever were on it, I have no idea. The pedals on the Surly came from my buddy's shop and I have no idea what they are either. When it comes to flats I mostly don't give a crap what they are as long as they are cheap. I did once buy a good set for my DH rig but ended up hating it and went back to clipless. I pretty much hate not being clipped in on any longer rides or when I rode DH. I have flats on the fixie just because now I only use it for scooting around the neighbourhood which is nothing, it was a great coffee bike when I lived in cities, not so much in a town of less than 100 people with not even a store. Not even sure what big the good flats are on, either the tandem or the 1x1.

I was wondering about your selection of flats. I have some cheap ones that I keep around to throw on a bike if a visitor wants to ride to the brewery with us. Other than that I completely agree with you and prefer clipless. About 10 years ago I got a pair of clipless sandals. They are probably my most used bike footwear. There was I time that I, maybe, tried a little to 'look the part'. Now I an much more pragmatic. I am still vain about taking reflectors off road bikes. Come on, they look terrible! I would consider reflective tires :).

Picture of me on tour. Sorry for the poor quality.

How many sacred cows am I killing? Helmet with peak on 'road' AND a cap underneath. Camelback. Sandals. Wired bike computer. Full finger gloves (I always wear gloves, always full finger - I like the grip). Mirror!

Also, definitely didn't need gears for this ride!

Sandals.jpg

Last edited:
If you guys want the best of both worlds, try the Shimano SPD A530 pedals. I’ve worn out several pairs of them and they are fantastic - - truly versatile. (They may now be superseded by a new model#, but the concept is the same.)

If you guys want the best of both worlds, try the Shimano SPD A530 pedals. I’ve worn out several pairs of them and they are fantastic - - truly versatile. (They may now be superseded by a new model#, but the concept is the same.)

I have thought about those for my fat tire bike. Wasn't sure how well they would work. I could wear real boots in the winter.

Back