• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

No longer a quiet ride

uberuser

I am desperate for help. 2004 R1150RT, 78,000 miles. The first 5 months owing this bike were amazing. The last 6 I have been spinning my wheels trying to solve a "buffeting" problem. The ride was quite with no wind buffeting. Now I am experiencing something that I can only associate with wind buffeting in my limited experience. I had to go back to my old earplugs (had switched to NoNoise) because it has become so loud with wind noise. In addition I now get a headache after about 30 minutes even with the noise quitted down. I think I am getting a micro vibration like tiny buffeting causing slightly blurred vision causing the headaches. I am at a loss in even describing the problem. Mechanically the bike is sound. New clutch and input drive, throttle body sync done. Fresh lube throughout the drive line. Anyone ever experience anything like this? Thank you in advance for all willing to chime in.

I think the new clutch is a clue. A slightly out of balance clutch assembly can cause vibrations that are bothersome, but it will vary with engine rpm. Find a good long hill and get up to speed, then pull the clutch and with the engine at idle speed see if the "buffeting" changes.

Also, make sure the face shield on your helmet is tightly attached.

windshield adjustment

How about adjusting the electric windshield? I make adjustments all the time depending how I am sitting on the bike, slouching or sitting more upright. The electrically adjustable windshield on my 2004 R1150RT is one of the best things about the bike. I like to adjust the windshield height so that the air goes over my helmet but I can still see over the top of the windshield. That usually cures the problem of wind buffeting on my helmet and makes for a more quiet ride at highway speeds.

Mark

I think the new clutch is a clue. A slightly out of balance clutch assembly can cause vibrations that are bothersome, but it will vary with engine rpm. Find a good long hill and get up to speed, then pull the clutch and with the engine at idle speed see if the "buffeting" changes.

Paul,

Are the Oilheads like the early Kbikes in that the clutch housing, pressure plate, and housing cover are/might be each slightly out of balance and must be properly orientated to achieve proper overall balance?

If so, a clutch replacement by a mechanic who is not aware of this could cause more vibration. Because of resonance frequencies, the vibrations could be more pronounced/bothersome at certain rpms/speeds.:dunno

BTDT with my K years ago.

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
Paul,

Are the Oilheads like the early Kbikes in that the clutch housing, pressure plate, and housing cover are each slightly out of balance and must be properly orientated to achieve proper overall balance?

If so, a clutch replacement by a mechanic who is not aware of this could cause more vibration. Because of resonance frequencies, the vibrations could be more pronounced/bothersome at certain rpms/speeds.:dunno

BTDT with my K years ago.

:dance:dance:dance

Yes, if the clutch is not assembled with the part's marks as close to 120 degrees apart as possible vibration may occur just like with the K bikes.

It's possible that nothing changed with the bike, and that the issue is literally in your head. It sounds like you changed earplugs and then at some point after that the problem started and then you went back to the original plugs? You may have gotten an ear infection, done some hearing damage, or something that makes you respond differently to the bike.

I had something similar after I converted my K75 into an RT. I was trying different windshields and all of them were awful. I knew the RT was a smooth and quiet ride because I'd ridden them before, but I just couldn't get comfortable. The problem was my ears; I'd either gotten some infection or otherwise irritated them. I think it just took a bit of time for them to recover and then all of the windshields were fine again. FWIW I use the EARSoft Green Neons.

The clutch was done before I got the bike. Everything was fine for the first 5 months. I changed the earplugs because of the noise!!! I can crouch way down into the "pocket" and still get the problem. And yes, I adjust the windshield and it does it through the whole range of motion. I had a sweet spot that was perfect. I did add bar risers but I'm going to take the bar risers off just to confirm that's not the issue

The clutch was done before I got the bike. Everything was fine for the first 5 months. I changed the earplugs because of the noise!!! I can crouch way down into the "pocket" and still get the problem. And yes, I adjust the windshield and it does it through the whole range of motion. I had a sweet spot that was perfect. I did add bar risers but I'm going to take the bar risers off just to confirm that's not the issue

Thats it. I have money on the bar risers being the issue. I am now going to take mine off which came with the bike to see what its like.

Looks like it was a defective road smart 3. 2 in a row. Metzler solved the problem.

Curious to know the approximate age of the defective tire. An NTSB study says tires should be replaced every 4 years -- 6 at the absolute max -- based only on age, not mileage. My read of the study suggests 6 is too long for motorcycle tires based on their recommendations about "higher performance" tires.

Last edited:
New tire. 1 year old. Sent photos of the inside to Dunlop and after a very short review they decided to send me a new tire. Tried loading a photo here and kept getting an error. 3 distinct ridges on the inside of the tire.

Back