• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2003 K1200GT - Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT Tire thoughts

jrmull

A set of Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT Tires front and rear were put on. $580 installed. 40 pounds pressure recommended. Estimated 2 hrs labor and rest tire costs. The dealer recommended them for this 2003 K1200GT bike. He indicated good tire for the bike's weight. Non-BMW dealer but locally recommended here. They did clutch, brake (abs), coolant, new plugs to round out my $1300 total cost. Those fluids were last done 2 years ago. 26k miles on the bike. The ride has improved as expected. Seemed like a good place to future work as needed.

Any thoughts? I am curious on your reaction. Newbie here so your thoughts welcome.

My bike: 2003 K12RS.
After playing around with Bridgestones and Dunlops on the bike, I tries Michelin Roads a few generations ago. I think they were Road 2s. Liked them so much I've run nothing but the Mich Roads ever since. Obviously not the cheapest buy, but I get great mileage (which delays those pricey mounting costs), they wear evenly, and I like the feel plus the wet traction.
Currently got the Road 4s on it. Not the GT higher load model. I see they've just released a 5.

My other thought, seeing your $1300 bill, is that I'm glad I can do my own service work.

A set of Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT Tires front and rear were put on. $580 installed. 40 pounds pressure recommended. Estimated 2 hrs labor and rest tire costs. The dealer recommended them for this 2003 K1200GT bike. He indicated good tire for the bike's weight. Non-BMW dealer but locally recommended here. They did clutch, brake (abs), coolant, new plugs to round out my $1300 total cost. Those fluids were last done 2 years ago. 26k miles on the bike. The ride has improved as expected. Seemed like a good place to future work as needed.

Any thoughts? I am curious on your reaction. Newbie here so your thoughts welcome.

I use the PRs of my '02 K1200RS & '04 R1150RT. Currently have 4's on the RS and the 4GT on the RT. Been using them since the PR 2's. Are there other good tires out there, of course there are. But I really like the PR's and that's were I've put my hard earned cash.

2003 K1200GT - tires

After a week of daily riding, these tires are awesome great. Yes, I did spend a bunch on these, but so far I am pleased. Handling good, traction. A new rider here, but more confident with ride. Thanks for your ideas.

Back