Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: MOA NY license plates

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Montana has near 100 specialty plates available, but not for motorcycles. On the upside, motorcycle registraions are permanent. Do it once for around $60, most of which is a county fee, and you are registered for as long as you own the bike.
    Boy, that would help our yearly budget on license renewals
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Boy, that would help our yearly budget on license renewals
    The same rule applies to RVs and trailers. There are companies that facilitate out of state people registering their RVs here. Cars and pick-ups have an annual fee that is fairly stiff.
    Kevin
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
    Team Pterodactyl
    2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA

I pay about $70 a year per bike. But I pay no state income tax. And property taxes are comparable per $100K to other states I have lived. Ditto the sales tax.

You have to take the whole picture: income tax, sales tax, property tax, vehicle tax (registration), etc to decide the economics of your choice where to live. One measure is not sufficient. Kids in college getting their Doctorate degrees based their dissertations on this topic. I am not persuaded by a tweet or forum post on these issues. YMMV
    Last edited by PGlaves; 12-02-2018 at 03:22 PM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Kansas is recalling 371 car licenses because the six digit numbers include three numbers and the the three letters JAP. This is considered a pejorative racial slur by a San Francisco resident who saw such a Kansas license plate and complained.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Kansas is recalling 371 car licenses because the six digit numbers include three numbers and the the three letters JAP. This is considered a pejorative racial slur by a San Francisco resident who saw such a Kansas license plate and complained.
    I read about this. There are many other letter combinations that fall into this category. I see it as a failure of Kansas to just say “it’s just a random number- nothing personal” and move along.

It reminds me of a magazine cartoon from long ago. A woman had called the police because she saw a man showering without closing the blind. When the police arrived they asked “where this naked man was”. She responded “over there in that apartment” and pointed.
    The police responded “that apartment is a quarter mile away”. The woman responded “here, you have to uses these”........and handed the police a pair of binoculars.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by motorhead1977 View Post
    A thought on costs: My RTW annual NY registration is $17.50 which is cheap - slightly more than a decent lunch out during my work day. AFAIK NY DMV charges a $45.00 additional annual fee for a vanity plate. I think that is where the reluctance will come in. If there is some better information on the DMV charges please post it up. Also, an additional thought, will the MOA give a license to use the logo on a vanity plate? Are plates restricted to members? (I would think not as the vanity plate is really a paid advertisement of the MOA funded by the plate purchaser) If it is limited to members what happens if someone lets their membership lapse? Just a few thoughts. Interested personally.
    I don't think there's any actual membership requirement — I don't think they check for a professional license for MD plates, so I don't see them checking your MOA membership card. And yes, there absolutely would be the MOA logo on the plate (see the HOG plate I posted an image of in the first post), which is one of the reasons to do this in the first place (for me the other, possibly even bigger, reason is to have a white background on the plate instead of the hideous "gold" NY shamefully switched to).

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Dovfrankel, Or you can just put some MOA stickers on the bike and save a lot of money every year. When I was on the MOA BoD I spent a lot of time and effort investigating this NYS DMV program. Wasn't feasible then or now.

I can meet you in Rhinebeck and give you a couple of stickers (your choice of old or new style) for FREE....if you show up on your bike. Maybe lunch at Bread Alone?

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Thanks for the offer Friedle, maybe next year. Looking to sell the current bike and buy a new one. Know anyone looking for an '81 airhead?