• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Odometer Advancing

burnszilla

The K75C I bought had a the motometer replaced with a new one and the
guy who sold it to me said the odometer should read 36,000 miles not
16,000 miles. I've got the motometer all apart. How do I go about
advancing the odometer to 36,000 manually?
I checked the K Tech page on IBMWR but there is no info on it.

Steve, I don't know why you'd want to do that other than 'vanity issues' :brow

But, hook the wheel end of the cable up to a 'corded' electric drill and run it as fast as you can for number of hours needed (Don't exceed maximum). The other more complicated method would be to disassemble the unit and rotate the numbers by hand.

I'd just make a note in the owener's book that the speedo was replaced +20,000.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

AntonLargiader said:
I take it you don't actually own a K bike?

NOPE, but there's usually a internal cable with a square taper at the end of all speedo cables? :wave

SFDOC said:
NOPE, but there's usually a internal cable with a square taper at the end of all speedo cables? :wave

What Anton is saying Russ is that the K speedo is electronic. No cables.

Damn, no wonder you had to ask. :laugh :laugh

Thanks, learn something new everyday. :gerg :dog

P.S. Steve, do you still have to grease that thing every 24K ? :p

Burnszilla said:

Actually what he says about cleaning the pins is not exactly true. Cleaning them will get the older speedos working for a time but soon the oxidation caused by slight vibration of the pins will make the black oxide again and the speedo will fail. BMW modified this design in later K75/100/1100 speedos by tightly screwing the amplifier board down and the three pin connection into the speedo so the pin connectors can't move under vibration. They also ventilated the housing on the bottom so any moisture would dry up. They also had a problem with the plastic face which needed to be carefully reglued along the edges so water resting on the face of the instrument pod wouldn't seep inside.
The only way to really fix the older speedos is to wire around the four pins of the amplifier board and wire around the three pins of the speedo. If you do this, the speedo will work well indefinitely. I have used stranded about 22 or so gauge wire for this such as 3M flat cable. It's flexible and takes up very little room.

Last edited:
When I needed to spin my new speedo forward, I found that the rotating number dials had enough slop that I could just spread them apart and click them forward. Of course, my bike has 738,000 miles showing now..... :laugh

Back