• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R80 Center Stand Springs

happy wanderer

Day Dreaming ...
Just saw a post about Brown's side stand springs which reminded me of a question I've had for a while. I have an 81 G/S that I modified by putting an R80ST center stand on. The reason is the G/S stand is very hard to deploy, the grab handle is too small as a human hand does not fit into it and also it raises the front wheel on my bike much higher than required. The ST stand sits a lot lower and raises the front wheel only about an inch off level ground. Enough to change a tire and easier to get it up there. My son is a welder and he recently beefed up the bottom for me which was rusting out a bit with some stainless rod.

The springs from the G/S stand will not fit the ST stand. After searching through years of accumulated parts I found two springs that appear to be from a very tough screen door that did the trick for now but I would like to put proper center stand springs on there as the tension is not that great on what I have.

So excuse the long explanation but I am wondering... does anyone know if the R80ST frame and the R80G/S frame which is really an R65 frame the same? If so I am thinking the ST springs should work. Big assumption though since the mount tabs may be different etc. If anyone knows please enlighten me.

Another question; does anyone know of an easy way to simply measure the length needed? I imagine measuring the connect points distance and then subtract X for tension??? What that X might be is the question.

Thanks!

RealOEM shows the same part numbers for a 1983 R80ST and R80G/S...I didn't check other years. Interesting, the RealOEM listing shows the spring length as 111mm...priced less than $10.

Kurt, IIRC, the prices on RealOEM are about a decade old or more.

Max BMW lists the price at $5.13. Motobins shows the cost at 4.80 pounds (slightly different part number and 143mm long...not sure what's up with that). Everybody seems to be in the same ballpark.

G/S and ST frame are the same and there is no earthly reason proper centerstand springs for either won't interchange.

When I view realoem, there are different part numbers for the centerstands themselves, but springs are same. Clearly the length of the centerstand from top to the crossbar is the same ... the length difference occurs from crossbar down, which is irrelevant as regards spring length.

Of course there is no "grab handle" on a centerstand. The short side bars are only used to drop the centerstand ... once dropped, place foot on end of left leg.

Back