• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2003 K1200GT - missing aluminum M6 nut

jrmull

Well, the real nut is running around town looking for hardware.

It started with me adding a fuse block to the K1200GT. All I wanted to do was connect wires to the battery. I pulled out the tools and manual, tool tray, digging into the battery area. While loosing the negative connection, I fumbled the m6 aluminum nut. Down into the caverns. I could see it and tried my handy magnetic extract tool. Nope. It fell further. It landed on it's side and I fashioned a wire with a hook to snag it. Nope slid under the battery tray.

No great loss, I had to learn how to pull the battery anyway. Charge it out of the bike not using a trickle charger. Good learning experience, etc. But, no nut under the battery. No clue where it went.

To the store I go in search for a M6 nut. AutoParts - nope, no aluminum bolts or nuts. Loews - nope, Home Depo - nope, Sears hardware - nope, Menards - nope. Steel, Stainless Steel, Zinc, Chrome but not aluminum. I had a steel M6 nut that fit. I heard stores of not mixing aluminum with steel especially around a battery connection. I bailed and went with a new steel bolt and steel m6 nut.

In the future, I expect to lose many a bolt, nut or screw. Where are you guys finding aluminum bolts, nuts, etc ? BMW dealer is a hour away. Then again, it took me several hours to visit each local store.

Well, the real nut is running around town looking for hardware.

It started with me adding a fuse block to the K1200GT. All I wanted to do was connect wires to the battery. I pulled out the tools and manual, tool tray, digging into the battery area. While loosing the negative connection, I fumbled the m6 aluminum nut. Down into the caverns. I could see it and tried my handy magnetic extract tool. Nope. It fell further. It landed on it's side and I fashioned a wire with a hook to snag it. Nope slid under the battery tray.

No great loss, I had to learn how to pull the battery anyway. Charge it out of the bike not using a trickle charger. Good learning experience, etc. But, no nut under the battery. No clue where it went.

To the store I go in search for a M6 nut. AutoParts - nope, no aluminum bolts or nuts. Loews - nope, Home Depo - nope, Sears hardware - nope, Menards - nope. Steel, Stainless Steel, Zinc, Chrome but not aluminum. I had a steel M6 nut that fit. I heard stores of not mixing aluminum with steel especially around a battery connection. I bailed and went with a new steel bolt and steel m6 nut.

In the future, I expect to lose many a bolt, nut or screw. Where are you guys finding aluminum bolts, nuts, etc ? BMW dealer is a hour away. Then again, it took me several hours to visit each local store.

I do not recall ever owning or even seeing an aluminum M6 bolt or nut. Every battery bolt I have ever seen was steel of some variety.

Battery terminal bolts are most commonly zinc coated/plated steel. Could check it with magnet to see is aluminum of course. Seeing some of stainless steel battery terminal bolts now days. Bolts on Odyssey battery in my scooter are stainless and 304 so not magnetic.

GD

Last edited:
Possibly plated brass or bronze, but of no special matter. A steel one will perform the function.

The battery sits on a raised platform inside the battery tray. The platform is raised just enough to allow a nut to slip underneath it (ask me how I know). I believe it's riveted to the bottom. You won't be seeing it again unless you ever have to pull the iABS unit out - then with a little more work (and removing the rear wheel) you can get the entire tray assembly out..

I'm late to this and a replacement has been found. But the part number is 61211459656. Using RealOEM, I found that a wide range of bikes use this part. Even some BMW cars. So you could go to the car dealership and buy the proper part from them.

But I agree, the nut has to be a ferrous nut of some kind.

Hello, I agree with others on this topic, not aluminum. Stainless steel will work.

Regards,

Richard

Commerce Township, MI

In the case of these lost items....under these circumstances.... I have used shop air with a blow-gun or straight hose to dislodge the hidden part. Sometime you have to go in a couple of different directions.
OM

Back