• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Replace petcock with solenoid valve?

Rather than try for a solenoid, maybe a vacuum operated petcock would be easier to use in your case. Most Japanese bike use this type of petcock all you need is a vacuum source from your carburetors, no vacuum, no fuel flow. You then could just keep the other side off and only use it as a reserve.

Cheap shots

Thank you for the useful input, of that it was supportive and thoughtful.

This is one of the first, and it will be the very last of, visits to this forum as a trial member.
I ain't thin skinned, but frankly surprised that the tone I expected of a forum of adult
BMW motorcycle owners was so quickly disappointed.

Cheap shots for no other reason, no good addition, than to have your fun at it?
Who would go looking for any more of that when you can just leave the room?
Not my kind of crew.

Thank you moderators for the opportunity to check out the forum and your
organization. I wish you all the very best in the future, sincerely.

Sorry that you were upset but I think a more detailed explanation may clear things up. Some of us tend to be a bit brief in our responses due to old age and the loss of ability to use many words in one thought. Many of us who have been around Airheads for a long enough time can tell you some horror stories pertaining to the latest models that came with just such electric solenoid operated petcock apparatus as you are looking for. You can in fact, find all the parts needed at the parts site at MAX BMW.
Those of us who know of this stock system can probably go on for a while about the problems associated with it.
Even more of us who are somewhat more motorcycle savvy can tell you about the similar fail made by Moto Guzzi back in the 1980s with a similar contraption.
Since most of us fall into the category of being "Geezers" who started out on 50s or 60s vintage machines we most likely learned the habit of shutting off the petcocks the hard way at an early age and, through he years have found great glee in seeing other more junior riders fall into the petcock trap!
Even the late Ed Hertfelder once wrote an article about the pitfalls of remembering what position your petcock is in while racing in the dirt in New Jersey.

I had a Honda (I think it was that one) that had a vacuum operated fuel shut off (actually two). It was a super bitch to get started in the spring or any time after sitting a few weeks because the starter had to grind so long to get vacuum before it would allow any fuel into the carbs before it could get running. Sure enough, the starter and battery soon started giving trouble. I finally got around it by artificially pulling a vacuum on the valve system (with my mouth!) just to fill the carb bowl. Then it would be good for a few weeks. Sold the POS 40 years ago.

Same thing with electrical solenoid valves - especially if they are buried under the fuel tank.

A wonderful fix for stiff Oilhead fuel cocks though is a product used in aircraft called Fuel Lube. It is a grease that does not dissolve in gasoline. Very sticky and works well in our petcocks.

My '82 Yamaha Seca had a vacuum operated petcock that included "Prime," along with "On" and "Reserve" positions. Most of the time, I left it On. Let it sit a week and the gas in the bowls would evaporate to the point that lots of cranking was needed. Finally realized that Prime let gas flow without vacuum - turn to Prime, wait a few seconds to top off the bowls, press the button for an immediate start, return the valve to On. The last step proved to be important - Prime let fuel flow until the fuel was gone, including reserve.

Man
Its just my opinion, but if you can't remember to turn the gas petcock on and off on a airhead to ride it and put it away properly.....
Should you even be riding?

I'm a Noob here myself....and I must say...that comment, Nick...was totally uncalled for.

After I suggested going to a vacuum operated petcock, it may be more difficult than I thought. I was checking out options on e-bay, looks like many of the items offered are flange mount rather than having threads that may mate to the BMW tank. (then how do you find one that fits your threads?) I did see an in line vacuum operated unit, which would be a simple option, but since it was made for a small displacement motor it may starve the BMW. Next issue is does the carburetors on his R65 have a vacuum port? Maybe the simplest solution is to put a large reminder fixed to the face of the speedo that says PETCOCK. See if that helps him, no cost, no hassle.

Couldn't the petcock just be turned open for the whole riding season? I wouldn't imagine there's much fuel pressure on the carburetor float needles.

I see the pre ride routine on these bikes as a bit akin to the one prior to flying a simple airplane; but without the checklist.

Couldn't the petcock just be turned open for the whole riding season? I wouldn't imagine there's much fuel pressure on the carburetor float needles.

It could be. But here is the downside risk. If the float needle seeps the carb bowl can overflow and allow fuel to flow into the intake tract and cylinder. Them upon attempted startup that cylinder may achieve hydrostatic lock (fuel won't compress) and the result when the other cylinder fires is a bent connecting rod. This is not theoretical. It happens. Equally evil is the dillution of the oil when the gas arrives in the crankcase.

Last edited:
My experience, as I run a lot of engines, any time you can shut off the fuel flow in a gravity fuel deliver system- it’s a good idea. The ethanol based fuels have generated such a wide range of problems with fuel systems, especially carburated/float bowls systems, it becomes a wild card as to whether the internals of the carb(s) will hold.
I have experienced the hydro-lock, oil diluted with gas, gas on the trailer floors and all from the carb internals not holding.
OM

Hey
I'm sorry if I ticked anyone off with my comment. But I stand by it. You've GOT to have a certain level of awareness to ride a motorcycle. The original poster called himself a idiot. In the the last year I've had two riding partners hang up the helmet after a series of spaced out caused close calls, like taking off with the side stand down, pulling into traffic in front of others, running out of gas in a bad spot, etc. etc. forgetting the fine points.
Clint Eastwood once said " A man has got to know his limitations"
Sorry for the tread drift....Try and stay safe out there.

Hey
I'm sorry if I ticked anyone off with my comment. But I stand by it. You've GOT to have a certain level of awareness to ride a motorcycle. The original poster called himself a idiot. In the the last year I've had two riding partners hang up the helmet after a series of spaced out caused close calls, like taking off with the side stand down, pulling into traffic in front of others, running out of gas in a bad spot, etc. etc. forgetting the fine points.

I was only thinking it. You said it. Some folks are not meant to ride.

Sidestand.
Fuel valve.
Running out of gas. (Norton, 1 small reserve)
Guilty as Charged.
Pulling out in front of traffic.
Innocent.
Stopped riding with others took care of the first two.
I've found waiting for conversations to finish and others to get their bike started would break up my routine for getting started.
A Interstate tank and seat helped with the third.
Still riding. Not perfect, but still riding.

Thinking outside the box and trying to apply newer technology to solve old problems! I applaud the idea whether it ultimately works or not. Trying to SIMPLIFY your riding routine in the process! What's wrong with that?

If you mount inline I would think a bracket would be appropriate instead of letting it vibrate freely - unless it is so lightweight that a bracket is unnecessary. What about grounding? Inline would allow you to retain a reserve. You could carry a length of hose as an emergency backup. Personally I turn the gas on / off every time I start / stop my R65. A stuck float valve on a hot engine at a gas station many years ago changed my habits. If you ride a moden bike 98% of the time like I do then it is easy to forget about petcocks. Why are some assuming OP is old and feeble minded? Reminds me of the alternate 'assume' definition :). Carry on and let us know how it works out. Pics and part numbers too please! Heck, I might try it myself. Easily reversed and cheap as dirt to try. I would argue that it improves safety and simplifies at the same time.

Good Luck!
Neal

Hey

Ok, returned here. Call it morbid curiosity after my interested died.
He returns to use someone's self deprecating humor against him?
I thought the first was below the belt. This is ankle-biting. Childish.

Each time he opens his mouth he goes lower.
Again, good luck with such members. I'm out of here.

I'm pretty sure the MOA forum has a "safe space" somewhere.
A search should bring it up. I hear it has milk, blankies, and pacifiers.
Sometimes a live person is there to give you a hug but since it is a volunteer position, it is
not manned 24 HR a day.

Meh, the forgetting to turn fuel on and off could be a generational thing. If you grew into motorcycles from twist-n-go no-peds, the demands of today's old technology may seem excessive. Frankly, looking at the control perches on most current luxo-bikes, they look to me like rolling distractions from the basic tasks at hand. Nav, current traffic, traction and ABS settings, suspension preload and damping, communications (bike-to-bike, rider-to-passenger, rider-to-frequently-called-numbers, etc.), windshield setting, handlebar heating, seat heating, TPMS, etc. ad nauseum. Back in the day, the old-timers probably shook their heads at "riders" who didn't know what to do with the timing advance lever. The OP may have no problem remembering to synch his helmet to his phone, or flipping on the Go-Pro(s) on the fly, as he pulls away from the curb.

Geez guys:banghead

How to make new posters/ members feel welcome. Thinking outside the box isn't a bad thing, though this mod isn't one I would do myself.

I was so used to on/off on bikes for years, that I still on occasion reach down for one on FI bikes..so what? Should I too quit riding?
We used to turn buddies off or turned on their reserve for funsies. I turn them off because it is a safe practice for me having leaky bikes for many reasons thru the years.

I have run out of gas at 16 years old, ran out at 22, a few times in my 50's and ran out at 61 as well...I'm human and do goof up on occasion.I tip my hat to those of you that seem to never make a mistake.Must be a nice view from that high horse.

I have ridden off with my sidestand down, though rarer than when I first started riding Hondas trying to impress the girls of my youth with my mad skills. I did it once when I first rode my Airhead a few years back and had gotten spoiled with the safeties built in modern bikes I suppose. Haven't repeated it, but it happened. Guess I need to get off my bike (s).

Just because the Airhead is a low tech by todays standard, how about when the electric starter became the only choice that was available...rumbles of this will leave me stranded from the masses was the talk of the day.

Anyways, hoping the OP doesn't leave due to a few snarky comments, it is his bike you know and he was just asking a question.

Electric shutoff

I forget to shutoff the fuel on my /7 often, forget to turn it on enough at the first stop sign I hit when I leave shop I automatically come to compete stop and turn on my fuel ( it's at the point where it starts to die) often I find it on, many times not. I have left it on many times usually no problem, or if there is a problem just a puddle of gas on the ground. However I have found the oil contaminated, also have found the engine locked up because of lots of raw gas in a cylinder. So the electric shutoff would fix that. I have also had engines die because voltage dropped on a bad dying battery, I have also seen electric shutoff stick shut than no gas no go.
I think I would put a little bit of tape by ignition or start switch that says fuel as a reminder to turn fuel on or off as needed.

I'm pretty sure the MOA forum has a "safe space" somewhere.
A search should bring it up. I hear it has milk, blankies, and pacifiers.
Sometimes a live person is there to give you a hug but since it is a volunteer position, it is
not manned 24 HR a day.

Thank you, very much. I just won a beer bet from a friend that "snowflake" or "safe space" would come up in this.

It's the latest thing. A jerk is a jerk was always a jerk. In 2018 a jerk just labels anyone decent enough
to call him out a snowflake.

Still a jerk, sorry. The latest political fashion won't change that I'm afraid.:)

Back