• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Advice on custom saddle for my R1150RT

I think the first thing you need to identify is what works best for you. While a custom-made seat is going to be the most *likely* to fit you best and be the most comfortable, that isn't always the case.

Everyone's behind is different. Not just in shape, but also in what density, etc., makes it feel the best.

There are at least a few reasons why you will get individuals saying that one of the seats listed below is significantly better than the others.
  • Bill Mayer
  • Corbin
  • Russell
  • Sargent
  • etc., etc., etc.
Most common reasons seem to be:
  1. They have tried several of the above and found the one that works best for them
  2. They tried one, liked it and didn't need/want to look further
  3. They drank the cool-aid. Their friends and many others on forums have brand-X and swear by it so it must be great.

I have two bikes with Sargent seats and two with Corbin seats, and three with stock seats. I also had a Sargent seat on my R1150RT and that worked very well for me.

For me, the Sargent seats work best (of the ones I've tried) and they allow me to do multiple long days in the saddle. But that is for me, we are all unique. Last month on our trip to Des Moines, two of the other riders I was with had issues with their stock seats so we swapped my Sargent seat onto their bikes for one day each. Both noticed a marked improvement, but they still weren't where they wanted to be. At the Rally they both had Bill Mayer seats made and they are very happy with them. Each required at least 2-3 fitting sessions/adjustments and one will send theirs back over the winter for an additional adjustment.

It isn't easy to find what works best for you, but try the off-the-shelf seats if you can to see if they work or not (try to find someone who will loan you theirs for 1-2 days) and then, if necessary, go custom.

BTW,
All items purchased directly from Sargent Cycle Products are entitled to a 30-Day Money Back Guarantee (restocking fee may apply)
Like I mentioned, what works best for me, isn't necessarily what will work best for you. It is unfortunate, but there is still a lot of trial and error involved in finding the best seat for any specific person.

I know Corbin doesn't do custom, and unless they recently changed, neither does Sargent. Correct me if my info on that is dated.

That said, any off the shelf saddle will feel great...if your butt matches the butt they used as a model. If you are looking for certain comfort, custom (made for your specific buns) is the way to go. Russell Day Long is the gold standard, but their interpretation of "low" is an inch higher than OEM. I use a Rocky Mayer. Others swear by Rich's or smaller startups. I personally feel you can't go wrong on any saddle made specifically for you.

Pete

Oh you can go wrong alright. Solving the seat problem should start with finding out what your problem actually is. I learned this the hard way after buying and trying several seats including the BMW "Comfort" seat, a Corbin, a Sargent and finally Rich's Custom Saddles. Rich builds a beautiful leather seat and I went down there for custom fitting. It felt great when I left but on long trips I still had severe butt pain issues. Turns out I have a condition called Ischial Bursitis and the problem is my arse, not the seat. Wasted a couple grand figuring this out. I've developed strategies like getting off the bike more often, moving around in the saddle a lot more, standing on the pegs a lot more... basically not staying in the same position too long helps but the problem is not going away. I still have an issue with Rich's seat and I really should go back there and see what he can do and that is the seat on my RT pushes me forwards into the tank. That upward curve BMW put at the back of the rider seat must be for looks I assume because it is the primary reason I slide forward while I ride. The seat is just not level and it should be...

I think the first thing you need to identify is what works best for you. While a custom-made seat is going to be the most *likely* to fit you best and be the most comfortable, that isn't always the case.

Everyone's behind is different. Not just in shape, but also in what density, etc., makes it feel the best.

There are at least a few reasons why you will get individuals saying that one of the seats listed below is significantly better than the others.
  • Bill Mayer
  • Corbin
  • Russell
  • Sargent
  • etc., etc., etc.
Most common reasons seem to be:
  1. They have tried several of the above and found the one that works best for them
  2. They tried one, liked it and didn't need/want to look further
  3. They drank the cool-aid. Their friends and many others on forums have brand-X and swear by it so it must be great.

I have two bikes with Sargent seats and two with Corbin seats, and three with stock seats. I also had a Sargent seat on my R1150RT and that worked very well for me.

For me, the Sargent seats work best (of the ones I've tried) and they allow me to do multiple long days in the saddle. But that is for me, we are all unique. Last month on our trip to Des Moines, two of the other riders I was with had issues with their stock seats so we swapped my Sargent seat onto their bikes for one day each. Both noticed a marked improvement, but they still weren't where they wanted to be. At the Rally they both had Bill Mayer seats made and they are very happy with them. Each required at least 2-3 fitting sessions/adjustments and one will send theirs back over the winter for an additional adjustment.

It isn't easy to find what works best for you, but try the off-the-shelf seats if you can to see if they work or not (try to find someone who will loan you theirs for 1-2 days) and then, if necessary, go custom.

BTW,
Like I mentioned, what works best for me, isn't necessarily what will work best for you. It is unfortunate, but there is still a lot of trial and error involved in finding the best seat for any specific person.
Good advice. Thank you. Although I’ve had Corbin’s in the past, I’ve decided to give Sargent a try. They have a comfort saddle available and a low version which will help me become more sure footed. I’m hoping this saddle does the job in terms of long term comfort. I’m a touring guy, so comfort is at the top of my list.
These guys have been around for a long time.
https://day-long.com/
Thanks for the link. I checked out their website and they are here in CA a few hours ride from where I live. I like the idea of being able to ride out there and arrange for a custom fitting. The comfort guarantee is a huge plus in my book. If the Sargent saddle doesn’t work out. A RDL saddle will be next on the list.
Oh you can go wrong alright. Solving the seat problem should start with finding out what your problem actually is. I learned this the hard way after buying and trying several seats including the BMW "Comfort" seat, a Corbin, a Sargent and finally Rich's Custom Saddles. Rich builds a beautiful leather seat and I went down there for custom fitting. It felt great when I left but on long trips I still had severe butt pain issues. Turns out I have a condition called Ischial Bursitis and the problem is my arse, not the seat. Wasted a couple grand figuring this out. I've developed strategies like getting off the bike more often, moving around in the saddle a lot more, standing on the pegs a lot more... basically not staying in the same position too long helps but the problem is not going away. I still have an issue with Rich's seat and I really should go back there and see what he can do and that is the seat on my RT pushes me forwards into the tank. That upward curve BMW put at the back of the rider seat must be for looks I assume because it is the primary reason I slide forward while I ride. The seat is just not level and it should be...

You have a condition called Ischial Bursitis. So it appears we have something in common, because I too have a pain my arse...in fact, I’ve been married to her for 18 years now! Ha! Ha! [emoji23]Just teasing! Tomorrow is our 18th wedding anniversary. Gosh I hope she doesn’t read this post...it might be our last.

All kidding aside, I know what you mean about finding out what the problem is. In my case I truly think the issue is that the factory saddle doesn’t provide a relief area for my tailbone and the foam feels hard as a brick after two hours of riding. My HD Ultra Classic for example had a saddle that was more dished out towards the rear which created a step/ledge of sorts that provided a measure of support against my lower back. It also had approximately a 2” deep relief built in at the rear of the saddle where my tailbone would be. Boy was that saddle was comfy. I’ve ridden up to 700 miles in a single day in that saddle with no discomfort whatsoever and at the end of my long ride I felt like I could still ride further. As I mentioned to GSAddict, if this Sargent saddle doesn’t work out for me, I’m ordering up an RDL saddle. Keep your fingers crossed for me! 🤞

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good advice. Thank you. Although I’ve had Corbin’s in the past, I’ve decided to give Sargent a try. They have a comfort saddle available and a low version which will help me become more sure footed. I’m hoping this saddle does the job in terms of long term comfort. I’m a touring guy, so comfort is at the top of my list...
You might think about trying their "regular" height version first.

That is what I had on my 2004 R1150RT and with my 30" inseam, like yours, I was okay. The low-version would have provided a more flat-footed stature, but at the cost of a slightly thinner foam which might have reduced the great long-distance comfort the saddle afforded me. The Sargent seat is narrower at the front so that your legs have a shorter path to the ground when stopped, than they do with the OE seat. It makes a noticeable difference.

So.....when I got home from work last evening there was a large box for me waiting to be opened. Naturally curiosity was high among my kids and my wife who are the ones who first discovered the package sitting on our doorstep.

Seeing a perfectly good opportunity to harass me about what appeared to be a large purchase, my wife immediately began texting me about the package arrival, noting that it obviously had something to do with my bike. In her verbal teasing, she slipped by mentioning that smaller items are much easier hidden from spouses. Such as those that come in jewelry boxes, or makeup, skin care items, etc, etc.. ha! ha!

Anyway...I mounted the Sargent saddle on my bike and I must say that I was surprised at how low I sit compared to my factory saddle. I do like the feeling of sitting in the bike, rather than on top of the bike, but there are some trade offs.

1) Because I now sit lower in the saddle and my feet remain at the same height on the pegs, the angle at which my legs are bent is noticeably tighter. It’s not as comfortable compared to sitting higher in the saddle where the radius between leg and thigh is wider providing for more comfort. Keep in mind the last two bikes I owned were full dress HD Ultra Classics. So I’ve grown accustomed to comfy, low saddles and having my feet on floorboards for the prior 15 years.

2) Another tradeoff is not being able to see over traffic quite as well. I’m really surprised at what a difference an inch or two makes. I guess I’ve grown accustomed to a certain sight picture and now that has changed. I also noticed that I must lower my windshield from where it typically is. The sight line has moved down. I’m sure I’ll adapt to the changes.

3) the seat has more of an upward lip at the rear of the saddle which I find to be very comfortable and also supportive. It holds me in place when accelerating and I’m not finding the need to scoot forward in the saddle. This is a huge upgrade. I can also get a better footing than before. Sadly, I still cannot flat foot it with both feet. However my heels are just off the ground, making parking lot maneuvers much easier when pushing the bike back in to a parking stall. I feel more secure. If I use just one leg to support the bike, I’m completely flat footed on the ground with my butt in the center of the saddle and I find that I don’t need to lean the bike as much as before. Big improvement.

4) Comfort. Well...it’s hard to say. I really need to take the bike on a long weekend ride to evaluate whether or not the saddle is more comfortable or not. My instinct says yes, but it’s not obvious when I sit on the saddle, like you might imagine. The gel or memory foam...whatever Sargent uses feels firm and more dense than the factory BMW foam. It’s not a plush saddle by any means. So I think the jury is still out on that in terms of long term riding comfort.

5) As far as aesthetics are concerned, the saddle looks 100% better than stock and there’s no question it’s better made. That’s apparent just by looking at it. Also, I will say that the saddle does make the bike feel more personalized to fit my size, height, dimensions, etc. I found a great deal of confidence riding last night. I had the feeling that the bike was more built around me or made to suit my size.

Only time will tell if the saddle is a keeper, but for now I’m gonna put on as many miles as I can to find out.

Here’s a pic.
22ce94896fcb9b33eb16aebfb1f6acd4.heic

Back