• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1992 K75S braking issues

beamus

Warning light on dash is on. Rear brake light pulses/flashes. Rear brake pedal pulses when applied.

Just bought this bike. Knew it had some issues but it was reasonable and extremely clean otherwise. I've put about 500 miles on it this far and can now see everything said about the little K bikes is true. Nice little bike.

I need to score a manual now. Which one is best?

Gus

Warning light on dash is on. Rear brake light pulses/flashes. Rear brake pedal pulses when applied.

Just bought this bike. Knew it had some issues but it was reasonable and extremely clean otherwise. I've put about 500 miles on it this far and can now see everything said about the little K bikes is true. Nice little bike.

I need to score a manual now. Which one is best?

The factory service manual in conjunction with the Clymer manual should get you through most service tasks. The Clymer is available through Amazon, the factory manual is part# 01519798791 I think, but verify that with the dealer or online source you order from. Be very cautious about torque values in the Clymer, that’s why you’ll want the factory service manual, but the Clymer has more pictures and is more step-by-step on many tasks.

Good luck,
DG

As I remember the Gen I ABS, the dash light comes on when started. Once you drive off the wheel sensors send a check-off signal to the computer to extinguish the light. If the light doesn't go out, it means the wheel signals are bad, or the battery voltage is too weak.

Pulsing of the rear brake sounds like a warped rotor.

I don't believe the ABS light goes out after using front and back brake levers. On my '93 K1100 with ABS I, if I activate front and rear brakes w/o the bike moving the ABS and Brake light will start to blink in unison until I bike starts to roll, then both go out.

My understanding is that the bike must roll forward or backward a short distance so the ABS computer senses input from both front and rear ABS wheel sensors. If the ABS light does not go out, one of the simplest things (I believe) to check is the gap between the wheel sensor and brake disc.

Regards,

Richard Flood

On my '95 K75S with ABS the lights act like this (which is just like the other K bikes with ABS that I've ridden):

Turn key:
ABS light flashing, red triangle warning light on, but steady

Start bike:
ABS light flashing, red triangle warning light on, but steady

Activate both front and rear brake:
ABS light flashing, red triangle warning light flashing in the same sequence as ABS light

Ride the bike 5ish meters:
Both ABS and red triangle warning light go out

FYI: Red triangle warning light checks to see if your brake lights and switches are working correctly

In your situation would start with cleaning the contacts and replacing the bulb in the rear light. If that doesn't fix the issue, you start working you way up the chain. I'll send you a PM with some resources.

Back