• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New member project bike.. 1987 K75

First thing you do is return the cluster for a refund and have the seller provide a prepaid return label.

Your best bet is to get a functioning stock instrument cluster. Make sure to get one that reads miles instead of kilometers. The aftermarket insruments integrate poorly with the BMW electronics and you will loose several functions (self cancelng turn signals, bulb monitoring, gear indicator, etc.).

:dance:dance:dance

Funny thing..

I sent an email and got a full refund about an hour later.

Done and done on that side.

I can understand the wiring thing.

I will have to chew on this for a while.

Currently the turn signals do NOT auto cancel, but there is abuttun on the rh side that does that.

But, I am still dealing with a buzzing RH turn relay.

So is it a short, or a bad relay?

I don't recall the K75 ever having self-cancelling turn sigs, but i do recall that RH cancel button.

I don't recall the K75 ever having self-cancelling turn sigs, but i do recall that RH cancel button.

All K75's had self-canceling turn signals. Usually after 11 or so flashes if rolling but they would continue flashing if stopped, as at a traffic signal or waiting for a break in traffic to turn.

The turn signals will cancel:

"after approximately 10 seconds at main road speed - above approximately 30 miles per hour or 50 km/h

or

after approximately 210m (690 ft) in local or slow-moving traffic."

That's why you need the stock cluster; to calculate speed and distance and send the signal to the relay.

I ordered up another flasher for the moment that is used.
In about a month or so I will be ordering a new relay altogether from the guys in Denver.

If this solves the problem with the RH blinker, then would it also solve the distance issue?
I kept rolling as stated and the blinker never self canceled.
I went about a mile with it still on before cancelling it with the RH cancel button.

You need a functioning speedometer to have the self cancel function work.

You need a functioning speedometer to have the self cancel function work.

It did it!
The new speedo works great and the self cancel on the blinker works.

Now I am waiting on the front turn signals and the blinker relay.

The bike is now streetable and running.
I have been exercising her out to chase away the cobwebs.

My next move is the tires and oil change. (Poss. next week.)

The turn signals came out looking really nice and all things are good so far.

Next up are tires and saddlebags.

Back