• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Portland to LA end of September

RWEISS141156

This is my first time posting and I'm looking to see if there is anyone interested in doing a ride at the end of September starting in Portland, OR to LA for 9 days or so. I'll be hitting the highlights of Butler Maps, Northern & Southern California. Thx

I did that ride alone a couple of years ago in 9/2016. Highlights were the See See Motorcycle coffee shop in Portland, Crater Lake, CA1 for as much as it was open, and all the roads (especially those south) in Joshua Tree NP.

Have fun and welcome to the Forums!

I think I recently read that the damaged section of Hwy 1 might be reopened around Sept. of this year.

:dance:dance:dance

May open sooner....

I just read this on one of the closure sites...

"June 12, 2018
BIG SUR, MONTEREY COUNTY – As Caltrans continues efforts to rebuild and re-open Highway 1 at Mud Creek, the department has announced a new target date of the end of July for opening the route to all travelers.

:thumb:thumb

GD

Get gas when and where you can if you pay any attention to this route. Leave Portland via 224 through Estacada and go on into Detroit. turn left and roll to 22 to 20 west to 126 the Mckenzie River Hyw, south.Then take Cougar Reservoir Road, which becomes S. Fork Rd (S. fork of the McKenzie)which is also designated NF-19 as it is a paved route in the National Forest. as you crest an undistinguished pass NF-19 becomes Canyon Rd, as it follows the North for of the Willamette River through ancient doug fir groves. This is the Aufderheide scenic Hwy. that was recently mentioned in Rider Magazine. It drops you out on Hwy 58 which could take you east to just north of Crater Lake. That is a very worthwhile visit. If I was on a leisure tour of much riding and little stopping, I would leave Crater Lake on 138 west to Roseburg, take I-5 south to Wolf Creek and then Lower Wolf Creek Rd to Galice. That is a noodle of a road surrounded by big mountains and remoteness. I was going to recommend Bear Camp Rd., but apparently road construction has left it a mosaic of asphalt and gravel. I will recommend taking I-5 through Grants pass to Obrien then take Waldo Rd, which becomes Grayback Rd. and eventually Indian Creek road when after a twisty ride it deposits you on California State route 199. Go south west on 199, then at Somes Bar head south east to go over some high passes and through a unique floristic provence. You will end up in Callahan and proceed south on HWY 3. Go through Weaverville and continue on 3 to Hayfork then pick up Hwy 36. You may want to take 36 back into Red Bluff for fuel or for fun, cause there is a neat section just west of Red Bluff (There are lots of deer around here!) Anyway Hwy 36 is your route west. Go through the redwoods. Ferndale is a cute little village of gingerbread victorian architecture. Past Ferndale you can take the "Lost Coast" by taking Matole Rd. That is a long loop through the coast range and back to 101. South on 101 to Redway and Briceland Rd and another wonderful twisty bit to the Mendicino Coast. From there I got nothing
Ride safe.

Back