• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Palm Beach County BMW service

mxsx337

I'm a new forum member and a new BMW owner ('17 R1200RT bought new in Chicago May 11). I'm starting to get nervous about my new bike, which so far (1700 miles) has been great, and here is why: The only BMW dealer (that I'm aware of) in this area (Broward Motor Sports) has a HORRIBLE reputation. After reading reviews on-line, I don't want to take my bike there for any minor service let alone (God forbid) something major. I'll be taking a big trip in August/September and by the time I get back the 6,000 mile service reminder light will be on and I'm not ready to start wrenching on it myself, though I'll get there eventually. Even if I do the service myself, I'll need someone to reset the service reminder and I don't even want to go to Broward Motor Sports for that! Does anyone on this forum know of ANYONE or ANYPLACE in the West Palm Beach area that does QUALITY work on BMWs??!!! Help!

Just a thought.
Depending on where your big trip takes you, you can schedule your service at another dealer that has a good reputation.

I don't know anything about this dealer or other dealers in Florida but you are in a dealer "rich" area. For many of us the closest dealer is 100 or more miles away. A simple 6K service can be scheduled as an in and out with an appointment. It doesn't matter how good/bad the dealer reputation is we all have our day. I had that happen to me many years ago, it's why I got started doing my own service. If I were you, I'd become active in the local BMW club, they hold tech days, great hands on learning experience. You'll meet motorcyle minded folks and maybe find a mentor.

Welcome the forum and congratulations on your bike!

Jay

Greetings.
I tend to agree with the others who have responded. First, don't put too much faith in on-line reviews. Unless people are really upset, most people don't bother to review service they expected.
I'd suggest you go down to the local Boward BMW dealership, introduce yourself, let them know that you're new to the area, and talk to the Service Manager there about your bike and your desire for them to take care of it and see how it goes. Ask if he has certified BMW mechanics, and when/if you choose to have them service the bike make sure you tell them exactly what you want done. If you have done any of the service items yourself you don't need done let them know, and let them know of any problems or concerns you may be having so they can look into it. In other words, make friends with the Service Writer so he's looking out for you and knows what you want. Don't "assume" anything. The 6K service isn't complicated, and you can easily check the service light was addressed when you turn on the bike before leaving (if in fact it is due when taken in).

Don't worry, be happy. You have a great bike.

Two years ago I took a 2 month trip across the country and back and stopped at three different BMW dealers to have scheduled service or tire changes done, and all of them were fine and actually way above my expectations. Dealers usually accomodate "travellers", so depending on your trip, pick out a dealer and let them know you plan on being in town on a particular day and have them schedule your service in before you arrive.

Good luck.

Greetings.
I tend to agree with the others who have responded. First, don't put too much faith in on-line reviews. Unless people are really upset, most people don't bother to review service they expected.
I'd suggest you go down to the local Boward BMW dealership, introduce yourself, let them know that you're new to the area, and talk to the Service Manager there about your bike and your desire for them to take care of it and see how it goes. Ask if he has certified BMW mechanics, and when/if you choose to have them service the bike make sure you tell them exactly what you want done. If you have done any of the service items yourself you don't need done let them know, and let them know of any problems or concerns you may be having so they can look into it. In other words, make friends with the Service Writer so he's looking out for you and knows what you want. Don't "assume" anything. The 6K service isn't complicated, and you can easily check the service light was addressed when you turn on the bike before leaving (if in fact it is due when taken in).

Don't worry, be happy. You have a great bike.

Two years ago I took a 2 month trip across the country and back and stopped at three different BMW dealers to have scheduled service or tire changes done, and all of them were fine and actually way above my expectations. Dealers usually accomodate "travellers", so depending on your trip, pick out a dealer and let them know you plan on being in town on a particular day and have them schedule your service in before you arrive.

Good luck.

Thanks for the encouraging words and your last paragraph is exactly what I did for the 600 mile service on my way home from Chicago with my new toy. My experience then was as you say: "...actually way above my expectations."

Looks like you are about 100 miles from Fort Meyers right across the state. Gulf Coast BMW is there and they have a good reputation. I actually bought a bike from them that was the Sales Manager's personal ride. It was an EXCELLENT experience. They treated me great and they shop was very well staffed.

https://www.gcmotorcycles.com

Also, if you travels take you anywhere near Charlotte NC our dealer here is the best! If you call them and set up your service they will get you in an out.

Hope this helps!

Good Luck

I second the opinions to check BMW Motorcycles Ft Lauderdale and Gulf Coast BMW Motorcycles in Ft Myers. Eventually, the best is to do your own service.

mxsx337,

As a resident of Palm Beach County and having bought my 2015 R1200GSA from Broward Motorsports, I feel that the comments you've cited are not close to my experiences with service at that dealership. Paul is the primary BMW mechanic there with whom I have dealt on numerous occasions for service on my bike, which has already traveled nearly 69K miles. I have been quite satisfied with the quality of service that he and the dealership have given me.

--- Don

"Reviews" never tell the whole story. The BEST dealership will get bad review from a self indulgent BMW rider sure of his honorific status, every now and again. My advice is go talk to a dealer and give them a chance. They are mostly better than the interwebnet give them credit for.

"Reviews" never tell the whole story. The BEST dealership will get bad review from a self indulgent BMW rider sure of his honorific status, every now and again. My advice is go talk to a dealer and give them a chance. They are mostly better than the interwebnet give them credit for.

Paul, that is very very true. I think Charlotte BMW is one of the best and I love the Service team there, but every so often on a ride I will cross paths with another BMW Rider and will ask him if he frequents Charlotte BMW. A couple times the responses I've gotten were "no they are not friendly" or "those guys did not want my business" or "blah blah blah". I am always shocked to hear these comments as that truly does not reflect who they are. But these are the same folks who post the negative review based on that one experience.

When I was working and managing young upcoming professionals at a large corporation I would always tell them to "form your own opinions of people based you YOUR personal interactions" So many times in my 41 year career I had been told that this person or that person was a jerk or not someone you could trust, etc. however, my experience with that same person was much different, hence I built my own opinions. Your suggestion to check out the dealer yourself and form your own opinion is excellent advice.

Paul, that is very very true. I think Charlotte BMW is one of the best and I love the Service team there, but every so often on a ride I will cross paths with another BMW Rider and will ask him if he frequents Charlotte BMW. A couple times the responses I've gotten were "no they are not friendly" or "those guys did not want my business" or "blah blah blah". I am always shocked to hear these comments as that truly does not reflect who they are. But these are the same folks who post the negative review based on that one experience.

When I was working and managing young upcoming professionals at a large corporation I would always tell them to "form your own opinions of people based you YOUR personal interactions" So many times in my 41 year career I had been told that this person or that person was a jerk or not someone you could trust, etc. however, my experience with that same person was much different, hence I built my own opinions. Your suggestion to check out the dealer yourself and form your own opinion is excellent advice.

Two very relevant, excellent pieces of advice :thumb

I'm a new forum member and a new BMW owner ('17 R1200RT bought new in Chicago May 11). I'm starting to get nervous about my new bike, which so far (1700 miles) has been great, and here is why: The only BMW dealer (that I'm aware of) in this area (Broward Motor Sports) has a HORRIBLE reputation. After reading reviews on-line, I don't want to take my bike there for any minor service let alone (God forbid) something major. I'll be taking a big trip in August/September and by the time I get back the 6,000 mile service reminder light will be on and I'm not ready to start wrenching on it myself, though I'll get there eventually. Even if I do the service myself, I'll need someone to reset the service reminder and I don't even want to go to Broward Motor Sports for that! Does anyone on this forum know of ANYONE or ANYPLACE in the West Palm Beach area that does QUALITY work on BMWs??!!! Help!

Nothing brings someone to the internet (social media) faster than a complaint..........Bad news travels fast.......... Compliments seem scarce...........
Might be nice to see for yourself.
Welcome to the forum!
Gary

Back