• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Center Stand and Kick Stand Wear

I have a 92 K100 4 Valve and I noticing that on the the Kick Stand the bike leans way too much, also, on the center stand, the bike wobbles, is this a normal wear and tear? How can I fix this?

I have a 92 K100 4 Valve and I noticing that on the the Kick Stand the bike leans way too much, also, on the center stand, the bike wobbles, is this a normal wear and tear? How can I fix this?

I have not seen your center stand problem, but I seldom use the center stands on our bikes except for maintenance. But it does have bushings and if they wear then you get looseness I would assume.

The side stand problem is common. The bushing wears. Sometimes replacing the bushing and bolt will cure the problem. But more often the "fork" on the sidestand where it attaches spreads. This provides a lot of up-down play with the sidestand extended. The initial fix is to bend the fork back so that the two sides are parallel. This can be done best with a hydraulic press or very big vice. After a time or two doing this I think the integrity of the stand itself is suspect due to repeated bending of the fork.

Yes, they can be fixxed, but. On my '87 K100 my side stand wasn't getting the job done anymore and the center had quite a bit of wear on the bottom side that contacted the ground. I didn't want to mess with it. I just bought the whole complete unit, both center and side stand. I figure I'm good for 5 years. Maybe take the old unit down from storage and fix it for future use. :dunno

I'm not familiar with an '87 K100 side stand but I have added 3/8"-5/8"to the bottom of the foot of the stand with satisfactory results. It takes a bit of "fashioning" so it doesn't interfere with the centerstand when both are in the retracted position. It's like carrying around a block of wood to park on and you don't have to worry about it slipping off, or leaving it behind.

I've also had a sidestand break from too much stress of being leaned too far over and loaded down (for years).

Charlie

85 center stand rusted

My 85 K100RS center stand rusted enough to just about drop my bike at Ben and Jerrys on the way to the Nat'l BMW rally in upper VT years ago. Another stand from BMW dealer solved it. Mine are modified to accept the wide rear rim and Michelin Pilot road radial 3.

The rally trip was completed with just the side stand.

IMG_1419.jpg
IMG_1420.jpg
This assembly is probably pretty much the same for '85-'90 all K100's and K75's. Generally these units are pretty much ignored until the problem of too much lean or rusted out legs become apparent. Mine was leaning over a little to much. Was going to do a repair, then it dawned on me it was a combined unit. At the time it seemed logical to just replace both and be done with it. The old one is laying around somewhere in the garage. Thought I might get around to doing a repair on it. It's way down the list of future projects. I noticed that the two centerstand pivots have vert fittings for grease lube I guess. Good. I hadn't remembered that. I can't remember if the oem stand had this.

Another option to actually trying to straighten the sidestand, is to add a thicker foot to the bottom. It helps raise the bike more upright, and increases the footprint; good for soft surfaces.

Back