• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'17 GSA w/ Nav V Issue

e185640

Hoping and looking for some brilliance from the group...

I have a '17 GSA with a Nav V installed. I installed the latest Garmin update on the Nav V 3 days ago. Yesterday out of the blue, I lost the motorcycle Wunderwheel control of the Nav V. The unit will turn on with the start of the bike, but I have to remove the unit from the bike to shut-off using the power button on back. The Nav V touch screen does work. There is no motorcycle ECU data coming from the CanBus.

Does anyone have suggestions on a reset, or fix? I cannot be sure that the software is the cause. The new load may be coincidence, and I have a system issue. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. :banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead

I have the same set up as you. I would suggest two things to try:

1) Carefully clean the contacts on the Nav V and the mounting base with isopropyl alcohol
2) Pull the battery out of the Nav V for 30 seconds or so to reset it.

The Nav V can get "out of sync" and then it will not function properly, including not turning on or off. If the two steps above do not fix it, you should contact Garmin as they are pretty good at supporting past customers.

Do you have the manual? If not, you can download one from the Garmin site.

First, resolve yourself that whatever the problem is it is your fault.... just preparing you in case you need to deal with Garmin customer service.

Could be a coincidence that the problem occured after the update, but the update should be the prime suspect in my opinion. Perhaps the download was corrupted and doing a second download may solve the problem.

I would try azgman's suggestions first.

Thank you!

Guys, thank you for the help and support. I re-racked the battery and re-loaded the software. The gods smiled upon my efforts, and allowed CAN-Hi and CAN-LOW messages to flow and the Wunderwheel to breath life once again.

Many thanks for your guidance!:)

Glad things worked out.

Often it isn't necessary to remove the battery if you do a system reboot. Simply depress the on/off button and hold it in until the unit shuts off and restarts.

For the touch screen not responding the Garmin troubleshooting advice is to:
  1. Turn off the device
  2. Hold your finger on the upper-left corner of the screen and turn on the device.
  3. Continue holding the screen until the device starts. The calibration screen appears.
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions.
Using these procedures has been known to fix a number of things without needing to disconnect the battery.

Note to Moderator- This thread should be moved to "Gear".

Also, it would make a ton of sense to have a "Navigation" sub-section under Gear. I know there's a lot of resistance to creating additional sections, but let's not get bogged down in being so resistant to change that even when there is a valid reason to adapt/adjust we don't because we are afraid to. There are enough threads all over the place (in virtually every section here) that are Navigation specific and should be together for proper Forum usage.

When (if) you contact Garmin, you want to talk to the group that handles OEM problems not the general consumer group. I've reached out to them a couple of times and they've always been very helpful.

I had symptoms like the OP once, cleaning the contacts solved the problem.

Back