• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Getting ready for Des Moines - Any Route suggestions from Milwaukee?

skibumwi

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone would have some good route suggestions from Milwaukee to Des Moines? It's easy enough to figure out the freeways - but that's really boring. Anyone know of lesser-traveled roads that may make the ride more interesting?

Thanks,
Ski

Hwy 60 from Sauk City to Marquette Iowa.
County road X56 to Guttenburg (check out the locks)
Hwy52 and C9Y to Dubuque
Hwy 151 to Anamosa (National Motorcycle Museum)
Hwy 1 to Iowa City (BMW Motorcycles of Iowa City)
Hwy 6 to Newton

Hwy 60 from Sauk City to Marquette Iowa.
County road X56 to Guttenburg (check out the locks)
Hwy52 and C9Y to Dubuque
Hwy 151 to Anamosa (National Motorcycle Museum)
Hwy 1 to Iowa City (BMW Motorcycles of Iowa City)
Hwy 6 to Newton

Looks like a great route, Thanks!! CR X56 doesn't show up in BaseCamp - looks like it might be the Great River Road.

It even takes me through Grinnell - great diner right in the middle of town - wish I could remember the name.

Ski

Looks like a great route, Thanks!! CR X56 doesn't show up in BaseCamp - looks like it might be the Great River Road.

It even takes me through Grinnell - great diner right in the middle of town - wish I could remember the name.

Ski

Looks like it's considered the Great River Road. https://www.traveliowa.com/getinspireddetails/iowa-s-great-river-road--explore-the-route/72/
It goes past Pikes Peak State Park which has a nice overlook of the river.

There's a good cafe on the west side of Grinnell, West Side Family Restaurant. Have not ate at a diner in the middle part of town.

Another attraction which is a little off the route I mentioned is Field of Dreams outside of Dyersville Iowa.

Last edited:
More Eats

Elkader,Ia. has a great m/c friendly City campground. Lots of shade, great RR/Shower facility. Located on the Turkey River with a really cool bridge going into the downtown area. Really great bakery just across the bridge.
Just North of Elkader , St. Olaf, IA. Biggest damn tenderloin you can imagine. Bar is in a 100 yr old bldg. I could only handle the 1/4 loin.
Just NW of Elkader, Gunder,IA. The Gunder 1lb hamburger or Hamburger Steak. Great Salad bar. Gunder amounts to the Restaurant, closed gas station and a handful of houses.
Happy Travels

I'll be starting from the ferry terminal in Manitowoc north of you. My plan is to drop down thru Kettle Moraine, south and then west on secondary roads passing south of Madison WI. Mandatory stop at New Glarus for beer, then angling back up 39 to Hwy 18 (or side roads running parallel to it) to Prairie du Chien, cross the Mississippi and north to 76, following that NW to Decorah. From there zigzag thru northeast Iowa taking 52 to 13. Stay on 13 all the way to Cedar Rapids (with a cooling stop at Backbone SP). Continue to Riverside IA to pay homage to Captain James T Kirk at the place he'll be born in a couple of centuries. Meander west and north thru Amish and Mennonite country, then Amana country up to Chelsea, Haven and Tama. Then south to Grinnell, and SW to Pella before emerging in Des Moines

Pete and Glenlivet
(Or Tulliver if the pup isn't ready yet)

Here's what I'm looking at. The Blue is going and the green is returning. Of course if the weather is crappy I'll just plug the destination into the Nav V and take the freeways.

MOA RAlly Route.jpg

Ski

Can't tell -- hope that route takes you through Anamosa, IA, home of the National Motorcycle Museum (and J&P Cycles). Also check the Anamosa Jail (from the outside!) It's rumored to be the one they used in filming The Shawshank Redemption.

[QUOTE=glenfiddich;. Continue to Riverside IA to pay homage to Captain James T Kirk at the place he'll be born in a couple of centuries.

While in Riverside, stop by and see Jimmy Figgens. NEDS Motorcycle and rock Hauling. Its a very nice ex BMW and Moto-Guzzi shop. He has a very unique shop with interesting things to look at. Been there since the 50s-60 , BMW until the Mid 90's when thing s and BMW went Hi-Tech. Jim is probably one of the best BMW Airhead Mechanics in the state of Iowa. Don't expect of fancy new age shop. Its as Old School as it gets with Customer Service to Match. Enjoy the Ride!

I'll be starting from the ferry terminal in Manitowoc north of you. My plan is to drop down thru Kettle Moraine, south and then west on secondary roads passing south of Madison WI. Mandatory stop at New Glarus for beer,
if you are stopping in New Glarus, go downtown to the Glarner Stube Pub. All the NG beers on tap and some of the best Swiss/German food in SW Wisc. Arguably the best fried Cheese curds in the State.

if you are stopping in New Glarus, go downtown to the Glarner Stube Pub. All the NG beers on tap and some of the best Swiss/German food in SW Wisc. Arguably the best fried Cheese curds in the State.

Been there on previous visits, but might be difficult on this trip. Glenlivet (my furry co-pilot) is celebrating his second birthday with nine of his littermates in nearby Evansville on our way to the rally. I think ten exuberant two year old golden retrievers might be more than the pub could handle!

Back