• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Radiator guards

Looking for radiator guards for 2016 GSW . any recommendations . Would like easy installation but don't want to use zip ties or double sided tape etc... looking mostly to keep bugs out of the fins . Thanks

Radiator guards.

QUOTE=56982;1122864]Looking for radiator guards for 2016 GSW . any recommendations . Would like easy installation but don't want to use zip ties or double sided tape etc... looking mostly to keep bugs out of the fins . Thanks[/QUOTE]

I had Altrider guards on a 2015 GSA. Raised water temperature approximately 10-15 degrees because of guard restriction. Replaced them with less restrictive Tour-a-tech guards that don’t raise the temp at all. Altrider guards at highway speed- 190-195 degrees. Used for approximately 20,000miles.
Tour-a-tech guards- 172- 180 degrees. Used for 40,000 + miles.
Without guards- 172-180 degrees.
Hope this helps.

QUOTE=56982;1122864]Looking for radiator guards for 2016 GSW . any recommendations . Would like easy installation but don't want to use zip ties or double sided tape etc... looking mostly to keep bugs out of the fins . Thanks

I had Altrider guards on a 2015 GSA. Raised water temperature approximately 10-15 degrees because of guard restriction. Replaced them with less restrictive Tour-a-tech guards that don’t raise the temp at all. Altrider guards at highway speed- 190-195 degrees. Used for approximately 20,000miles.
Tour-a-tech guards- 172- 180 degrees. Used for 40,000 + miles.
Without guards- 172-180 degrees.
Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

Not my experience with the AltRiders.

I installed AltRider rad guards on my '15 GSA, and still have them on the bike (21,000+ miles). They have caused me no problem whatsoever with regard to coolant temp.

For the OP, BMW also makes rad guards, which some people like. I think they're some sort of "plastic" Not sure what model years they fit, but you may want to check those out too.

I have the OEM guards on my early 2017 GS. Despite what the catalog says, the guards were designed for 2017.5 and newer bikes with the facelift fairings. I was able to get them to work but I did have to do a little Dremel work on them. They fit well, protect well, and do not seem to affect the water temperature. I think this might be the only bargain in the BMW parts catalog!

Rad guards

Looking for radiator guards for 2016 GSW . any recommendations . Would like easy installation but don't want to use zip ties or double sided tape etc... looking mostly to keep bugs out of the fins . Thanks

I use the OEM guards and have had no issues.

I installed the COX guards after looking at several others out there. Clean simple install.

Cox Radiator Guard

Unless your a hardcore offroader expecting to by crashing through the woods or behind other riders spewing rocks at you, your just as well off to buy the OEM guards IMO, $18-ish a piece.

46 63 8 556 647 PROTECTIVE GRILLE RADIATOR LEFT 0.25 1 $18.39
46 63 8 556 648 PROTECTIVE GRILLE RADIATOR RIGHT 0.25 1 $18.39
https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=55471&diagram=FA_77_0939&partnumber=46638556648

I have the OEM guards on my early 2017 GS. Despite what the catalog says, the guards were designed for 2017.5 and newer bikes with the facelift fairings. I was able to get them to work but I did have to do a little Dremel work on them. They fit well, protect well, and do not seem to affect the water temperature. I think this might be the only bargain in the BMW parts catalog!

OK guys - based on your recommendations, I bought these for my April-delivered '17 R1200 GSA (so I'm guessing it's a 2017.5?). Spent 2 hrs yesterday trying to mount the left guard and finally threw in the towel :banghead so frustrated I didn't even try the right side. Saw two threads re: these (I think they're the same as come on the Rallye GS?) guards over at Adventure Rider - one chap wrote his mounted behind the frames with no problems; the other, like "azgman," wrote he had to do minor surgery. Lesson learned: trying to save $100 and stay OEM may have proved a poor choice for me anyway. No one I know who has gone third party mfr has had any problems installing those.

Back