• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Front Tire Noise

agspencer55

I have a 2000 R1100R with a very close to new Michelin Pilot 3 tires on both ends. On worn blacktop the front tire make a whirring noise and was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem.

Welcome to the forum ag:wave

We have run every variation of Pilot Roads and never hear the noise that others report...but that's maybe because we always have earplugs in.A lot of miles and a lot of sets.
Others will chime in that they hear it on the 3's more than the other models.

Our 1100RT has PR3's both front and rear and I have experienced the "WHIRRRRRRING" sound that you describe. Other than the fact it can be irritating to listen too, it will disappear after you put on some miles. In fact, when the sound disappears, you may not even notice.

Where we live I can hear tire noise. It is the chip sealed pavement, not the brand or model of the tire.

I've had four sets of PR3's in the last few years and every one the front tires have sang the whirrrrrrrr

Different types of pavement change the octaves

I don't notice it much in a straight line. Mostly it's on a slight lean, 20-30 mph. Any faster and wind noise covers it up. I think the sound is funneled up the "hole" for the fork tubes and directed back by the windshield. I cure it with earplugs.

I had the same sound and found it related to the speedo drive. Contact inside front wheel hub was not firm enough. Required a bit of adjustment and solved the problem.

Back