• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1100RS possible purchase

My 2cents worth is buy a K75 or a K1100. I think the K100 are too hot. And I have had three K100, yeah I never learn, but the K75 is smoother and the K1100 is not as hot and similar engine. Spine Lube is an all day project or a whole weekend if you have never done one

I've only owned one K100 against a half dozen K1100s, but I've always felt the K11s put out more heat.

Thanks for all of the comments, and useful K bike data, I appreciate it.

I would like to update this thread, on the possible 93 K1100RS purchase. I was able to view the machine in person last week, after initially just viewing e mailed pictures. The K1100RS, although finished in a great deep red color, was a disappointment in the flesh.

I found several items that were not disclosed in e mail and phone conversations with the owner. First, the bike had been dropped, probably low sided on the left side of the machine. The true damage was not revealed from the in garage, low light photos that were provided. In person, the muffler and lower body panel had significant gouges. The left side fairing panels had uneven fit on some of the panel gaps, most likely from the crash. The left side mirror housing was scraped and had a 3" crack. It was also a little jiggly. The owner had mentioned in phone conversation, that the previous owner had " scraped the left fairing on the garage wall while parking". Repairing the damage would require at least a new muffler, and repairing/painting the left fairing.

The owner had also stated that the rear tire was brand new, and e mailed a photo of the tread. Upon close examination, the tire date code was march 2007. Even though the tread was at about 95%, I would not trust that tire. The front tire had some life left, but had significant cupping, and right side wear.

Lastly, due to recent snows, I could only start and hear the bike run in his driveway. The bike was already warm, and started fine. The bike had what I would refer to as a lumpy idle. As I am not familiar with K bikes, I don't know if this is normal, or not.

At any rate, the owner stated that he was firm on his price for the bike, so I elected to not buy it. I had asked for a few hundred off his price, towards the body damage.

I had traveled 175 miles to see this K bike, ready to buy, but it had too many issues to over come. The machine has 37,000 miles, and the owner indicated that the splines had not been looked at in his 17 year ownership.

I'm still looking. Thanks again for all of the useful info.

A lumpy idle is definite NOT a feature of a proper running Kbike.

A bike that has only used 5% of the tire tread in 10 years is probably going to require alot of work to bring back to good running condition. Mostly rubber parts in the fuel/ induction systems.

It's a shame that there are those people who will allow someone to drive 175 miles under false pretences and not disclose problems with the bike beforehand.:banghead. Hopefully karma will catch up with them.

:dance:dance:dance

It might seem obvious, but I would buy one that runs. I have now bought two that had sat for various lengths of time and both needed a total rebuild of the fuel tank system. Roughly a $250 job. And that's if the fuel sender unit can be salvaged. It is another $200. I'm talking just the parts cost. With dealer labor, they really are almost not worth saving, sadly. Other than that, I too have had a long fascination with what I consider one of BMW's best designs.

Back