• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'92 K75RT Digital Gear Indicator

MCRyder

I archive searched the term "gear indicator" and couldn't find anything exclusive. Took a short trip on my RT during a wet day and the gear indicator started showing only 0 or 1 (and getting a neutral light on the 0) when shifting through the gears, this just before getting to my destination, maybe 90 miles ride. I disconnected the connectors on the right side and sprayed them with cleaner/lubricant, no change. Any input on how to get the indicator showing the correct numbers? Thanks.

It will really mess with your head when you look down and it says "8" :)

I would say time in a warm, dry area is where I would start.

The last time it happened to mine was after a very, very wet weekend. It eventually dried out and started working correctly again. After it fully dried, I did remove the gear indicator and applied some liquid electrical tape to prevent any further water intrusion. That seemed to solve the problem on my bike. I would not venture into taking it apart just yet.

Mark,

In the future, please include the year and model of bike in the title of your thread.

I have added it to this thread for you.

Thanks.

Sounds like you've gotten the sender wet inside. It's on the back of the tranny, behind the swingarm.
As drneo66 said, try letting it dry out for awhile, see if it works, and then try to seal it better.

:dance:dance:dance

Thanks for the input. It's been pretty wet here in E. Texas, we had single digit temps, snow, ice since after the gear indicator went goofy. I'll give the sender time to dry and reseal it. Thanks for adding the year/model Lee :thumb, I overlooked that fact.

Mine ('95 K75RT) has been wonky for a number of years, wet or dry. Guess it is time to take a look.

Do they fail? Easy replacement?

i-c8wkhbS-M.jpg

Yes, they do go bad.

Yes, they are easy to replace.
(If you have the transmission out for a spline inspection/lube and bend a 7mm (7mm ?) open end wrench to remove the old switch and replace with a new one.)

Wonder what the alternative is to a homemade bent wrench.

Charlie

Yes, they are easy to replace.
(If you have the transmission out for a spline inspection/lube and bend a 7mm (7mm ?) open end wrench to remove the old switch and replace with a new one.)

Charlie

That doesn't sound easy to me... :)

The rubber/plastic that envelops the switch (very thin) sometimes cracks and allows moisture in.

That doesn't mean it happens to most.

You don't have to remove the transmission, but you do have to remove the swing arm to get to the switch.

:dance:dance:dance

On my previous K100 and 1100s, I've had the wonky wet sending unit issue, but have also had the display unit go bad. Popped in a display from a wrecked bike and I could read the gears once again. FWIW.

Back