• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Reflective kits for saddlebags..opinions

shortythorne

shortythorne
I think Motoreflective posted something on here some time ago. I like the idea of being able to buy the pre-cut reflective for a certain saddle bag (Jesse, etc.), as this company offers. Opinions wanted on whether or not this is the best reflective kit, or do you know of others you have had experience with. Thanks in advance...:)

My only recommendation would be to make sure the material is 3M SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea) grade retro-reflective.
I think Aerostich sells them. They come in 2" wide strips. Might be able to find others on eBay etc.
Yes, there are cutesy precut kits available that are not as reflective or effective but a lot more expensive.
I happened to spot these on clearance: http://tinyurl.com/y9uoyj4g

Good luck.

Joe P

I was able to buy some 3M black reflective material a few years ago and cut it to fit my panniers. The nice thing about doing it this way, is you can make any shape or design you like. I obviously didn't make anything fancy for my panniers. Left images are normal daylight and right is what car lights see at night.
Four bags.jpg

I like the idea of being able to buy the pre-cut reflective for a certain saddle bag

We have used MotoReflective on several of our bikes and have been happy with the pre-cut kits. The company is good to work with.
On the R1200RS I did not want to use the film on the painted lid and asked if they would sell me just the part for the inner half of the bag.
They sold me 4 pieces for the inner half for the price of one kit.

They use 3M film but I don't know if it's SOLAS

Here's a daytime flash picture so you can see where I applied the film.

3-26-16 (3).jpg

3-26-16 (2).jpg

Here's the kit on K1300S bags. The bike on the right.
MotoReflective.jpg

Last edited:
I have found Reflexite prismatic to be the brightest (even brighter than 3M SOLAS). The difference seems to be in the reflection angle. Reflexite prismatic reflects back more towards the light source and SOLAS reflects in essentially all directions. Reflexite makes some SOLAS rated tapes as well. SOLAS is a spec, not a manufacturer.

Here is a source... (BTW They sell 3M SOLAS as well so take your pick)

https://www.identi-tape.com/hi-intensity4.htm

Thanks guys! :)
Beemerphile, with those turn signals you have any reflective tape would be unnecessary :wave:laugh

Yep, and thus I have none. Jesse's are the easiest in the world to tape though because it is two straight strips down the outside edge. You can overlap to the sides of the bags and get two axis reflectivity with one strip of tape. Easy-peasy. Doing it yourself lets you choose the type and color of tape from a wider range of choices.

I think Motoreflective posted something on here some time ago. I like the idea of being able to buy the pre-cut reflective for a certain saddle bag (Jesse, etc.), as this company offers. Opinions wanted on whether or not this is the best reflective kit, or do you know of others you have had experience with. Thanks in advance...:)

I have used the Motoreflective kit on my K since I started riding it in 2005 and it is still as good as when I installed it, 90,000 miles later. My wife was concerned about my riding at night and being seen until one evening she followed me home down the highway. After that she had no qualms about about my being seen from behind at night.

I have have the kit on my R1100.

My GIVI boxes do not have running lights. The red reflector looks rather impressive in daylight but is totally a blackout in the dark. I picked up some silver reflective tape at a safety shop, removed the red reflectors, as well as the white paper under them and used this paper as a guide for cutting the reflective tape. Tossed the paper, installed the silver reflective tape where the paper had been, re-installed the red reflectors over the silver tape and wow! When headlights come up from behind (at night of course), it looks as if I have one massive red light across each of my GIVI top boxes.

motoreflective for the win! great people to work with, bike focused, kits arrive fast, inexpensive and fit perfectly.

I have run Motoreflective kits since about 2005. Fit is perfect. If you have fears about the material degrading, don't. It is 3M, which is usually the best you can get. I saw no degrading over the 9 years I had it installed on the Oilhead. You would not want or need anything brighter.

Follow a bike at night with Motoreflective kits installed and you will see why they are a must have for many riders! One big plus is that they don't stand out in daylight. Actually easier to clean than the surface they are on.

Hard to find a better quality, better fitting, longer lasting part for your bike. Especially for what they cost!

Motoreflective is the way to go. Had their kits on my RT for 9 ½ years, and the material was like new when I traded my bike in on a new one. I've now have their kits again on my 2015 GSA. I'm just as happy now as I was with my previous bike.

https://motoreflective.com

If your looking for a cheap option, I bought a roll of pvc reflective tape, (Same grade that gets sewn into construction worker vests) with an adhesive backing. I think it was 1 or 1.5" thick. Just cut the strips to length, and stuck them to my paniers, license plat frame, and top case. Doesn't look out of place, and lights up nice, and bright when lights hit it. Going on 3 years now, multiple rain storms. Hasn't started to peel off, or lose it's luster yet.

Back