• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My world is frozen, so I turn to thoughts of the coming riding season

glenfiddich

TravelsWithBarley.com
Today we hit 20F above zero, a major event after a week of 20 and 30 below temps. In northern Vermont this time of year we can only dream about adventures to come, and thanks to the shop woodstove get the bikes ready for the upcoming season. Repairs and modifications to the sidecar rig are done but for the multiple coats of carnauba wax it gets every winter. Wax on, wax off...with thoughts of scenic routes to Des Moines. Two dogs keep me company as I work. Tulliver, the devoted service dog that he is, hovers over me every time I lay on the shop floor to work under the rig. Glenlivet, not quite 18 months old and still in training, shoves a ball into my ear and wags happily as I get the rig ready for 2018.

I'm not sure which dog I'll take to Des Moines. Tulliver, at eight years old, is slowing down and loves his creature comforts...yet is absolutely devoted to me and takes his service dog duties very seriously. Do I take the old dog and ask that he endure the heat and humidity for two weeks...or once the snow melts do I make a concerted effort to train the pup and take him on the first of several adventures that most dogs can't even dream about? And if I take Glenlivet, will Tulliver's feelings be hurt?

The ride to the national (and then to the RA rally on the way home) will be my first retirement ride, the first time in my entire life I haven't had to rush home to return to work. The very thought intrigues me. Where before we had to press on no matter how miserable the conditions, now we will have the option of sitting tight and waiting for the storm or heat wave to pass. To linger in a region we find particularly appealing.

No matter which dog is at my side, I'm so looking forward to seeing my extended BMW family again! To sharing with friends a fine bottle of Scotch.

Pete and Tulliver
(or Glenlivet)

9.jpg

Same here!
COLD and Getting Colder.............

I've got the maps out and searching the internet for new adventures!

Planning for the upcoming season is one of the few things I enjoy as much as the actual riding/traveling.

jason

Today we hit 20F above zero, a major event after a week of 20 and 30 below temps. In northern Vermont this time of year we can only dream about adventures to come, and thanks to the shop woodstove get the bikes ready for the upcoming season. Repairs and modifications to the sidecar rig are done but for the multiple coats of carnauba wax it gets every winter. Wax on, wax off...with thoughts of scenic routes to Des Moines. Two dogs keep me company as I work. Tulliver, the devoted service dog that he is, hovers over me every time I lay on the shop floor to work under the rig. Glenlivet, not quite 18 months old and still in training, shoves a ball into my ear and wags happily as I get the rig ready for 2018.

I'm not sure which dog I'll take to Des Moines. Tulliver, at eight years old, is slowing down and loves his creature comforts...yet is absolutely devoted to me and takes his service dog duties very seriously. Do I take the old dog and ask that he endure the heat and humidity for two weeks...or once the snow melts do I make a concerted effort to train the pup and take him on the first of several adventures that most dogs can't even dream about? And if I take Glenlivet, will Tulliver's feelings be hurt?

The ride to the national (and then to the RA rally on the way home) will be my first retirement ride, the first time in my entire life I haven't had to rush home to return to work. The very thought intrigues me. Where before we had to press on no matter how miserable the conditions, now we will have the option of sitting tight and waiting for the storm or heat wave to pass. To linger in a region we find particularly appealing.

No matter which dog is at my side, I'm so looking forward to seeing my extended BMW family again! To sharing with friends a fine bottle of Scotch.

Pete and Tulliver
(or Glenlivet)

View attachment 65693

Sidecar on both sides than take both dogs šŸ¶ :)

I feel for you Pete!

Bitter cold the last 10 days followed by the Nor'easter today. Office is closed today, but I get to work from home. I am SO looking forward to retirement, but still about 3 years away.

I have been planning my annual trip for a couple of months, this year to the UP. Same time as the Rally and ending as the RA Rally wraps up, so I will miss both. At least I have good friends to take a nice trip with!

But first, a family ski trip to Steamboat ....

Happy New Year and safe riding in 2018!

Ahh yes , the aging mind drifts with thoughts of a summer ride,,,

Mr Pete, Thanks for your thoughts of winter ,,,, soon to be summer. I'm not a scotch drinker but would like to share a cold beer with ya in Des Moines this summer. Da wife and I will roll in from Wy so we too are ready for the snows to melt. We did get out of Wy for a couple warm clime trips this past season but spent most of the winter in sunny Minnesnowta. ( My ole stomping grounds) Came here for a couple different reasons and making the best of it. Its great tho because even tho you can't ride ,you can tinker, and like me, buy a new bike , spend thousands on accessories, and wait and wait till the roads are safe to go play. March is upon us and in a couple weeks I head out for a annual week trip with the Beemer club I belong to outta Denver, USA. Looks like parts of AZ,NM, and Tx are in the route plans so hope to see some other spring riders down that way in early to mid April. Also, we run a little campground just West of Cody, Wy called Wheels of Wonderment Motorcycle Campground ( www.wowmccg.com) which will be out 2nd year. Have tent sites , sleep cabins, awesome shower house, RV sites, massage chairs, a 2 bdrm 2 bath , w/ kitchen cottage ,all for rent. Travelers to and fro, stop on in for a cold one! All in all, see ya at the Rally, down South, in Wy, at Sturgis, or on some awesome USA byway . Keep 'em rolling, Pete

Great post Pete and reminds me how lucky we are here in the southeast being able to ride pretty much all year. But we do have some "weather" days like today with wintery mix and cold temps.

I retired 10 months ago and can totally relate to your perspective of not having to rush home. Last year I did my first big solo trip from Charlotte to the Rally in Salt Lake. It was a blast. And I was able to go at my own pace, hit the road as early as I preferred and stop when I felt the desire, all with no need to be home on a deadline. It was a great 21 day 6500 mile trip. Already planning the Des Moines trip although will be riding with 2 buddies ... they heard my stories of how much fun my trip was last year!

You are very lucky to have 2 great riding companions. I have never ridden a sidecar rig but always thought they were very cool. I even bought the video Side Car Dogs and loved it.

On your question I would take the older dog as it seems he only has a few more trips in him and work on getting the younger one ready for his future adventures. I will keep an eye out for you in Des Moines!

Oh ... and I am also jealous of your having a big space to work on stuff in the winter months. We are shopping for our retirement home now and a big ass garage is on the top of my list. :thumb

Space, Nice Weather

Space: many have space to work on stuff, many also have much crap piled up in that space so no room to work, having a very understanding wife her car sets in the drive way so some space available in 2 car garag.
Nice weather: supposed to be in the 60's in the next few days, my winter project new brake lines on the 1994 R1100RS I got the lines last July it was hot than thought it would make nice winter project now almost think I will go for a short 100 mile ride this week do the fall oil change and start on the brake lines, what a great spring project.
Than the 1978 R100/7 leaks oil like a old Harley. Say what you want about Harley riders but they are much more accepting of oil leaks, then the kids of the world they pull out their smart phones and want to document you polluting the worlds water supply ( local supplies at best ) so I must fix oil leaks just getting to much stink eye.

Back