• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Euro bars

Ergonomic preferences are too personal for any useful conclusions. I much prefer the Euro bars. My son likes the US bars. We are both 6'-2" tall. Whom should you believe?

As indicated, it's quite personal. I would think that low bars are workable on a naked bike where the air hitting your chest helps lift you and take the weight off your arms. If you do more city driving in this configuration, it might not work as well. Taller bars might better behind a fairing letting you sit more upright.

I have Euro bars on my 71 R60/5, Love the riding position, I'm 5-8. The slight forward lean feels great and not too much pressure on my wrists. See if you can try them before you commit.

Attachments

• 71 r60 SWB.jpg
    71 r60 SWB.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 198
I have Euro bars which came installed on my '71. Haven't had the bike long, and have never ridden one with the other bars so cannot compare, but FWIW I am 6' and the Euro bars feel great. Really happy with them.

Keep in mind that changing bars often involves changing cables. I have some bars that are longer still than US bars but could never find a long enough front brake cable, so there it sits....

Advantages of 'low' bars...

The closer you get your hands to the front axle the better feel of the road you get. The wind at speed without a windshield will partially support you to keep weight off the wrists in the forward leaning position these bars require. I find that from the 'leaned in' position, I can move my body around on the saddle while maintaining solid contact with the bike. That helps to keep changes in the road angles from upsetting yours or the bikes line. It permits you to load, follow and unload the suspension in response to the road irregularities... The seating position helps to keep you from getting battered by the road with a riding position that makes it easy to get your butt off the seat... USA bars (high bars) encourage one to sit upright for hours in one position, provide reduced feedback from the road and require slightly more effort to simply hang on. I like 'S' or European style but I really prefer flat bars like RS and particularly 'Clubman' style. Down side: your belt buckle will scratch the paint on the back of your tank...

An R100 was my first BMW. I lived in the Chicago area. I changed to Euro bars and loved it overall.

Cons
Extended slow commuter traffic could be tiring on the wrists and shoulders.

After the bar change, I wanted a slight footpeg rear set. I tried several aftermarket options, and made one set, but never found just the right feel. It may be a case of chasing a dream.

Neutral
On long days I could feel the weight of my helmet. Keep in mind this was the mid-80s and helmets have gone on diets. YMMV as a result.

Euro bars have less pull back than US bars. I am 6’4” and liked the extra reach to the bars.

Pros.
The ski jumper body position was incredibly comfortable. My torso became an airfoil instead of a wall. After thirty mph the weight began to lift off the hands, wrists, and shoulders. This position was a real plus on extended rides at highway speeds.

Cables
I had no trouble going from US bars to Euro bars. The other way around may or may not be the same.

I have owned /5's set up both ways. I liked both, though there is a difference. "The only way to what you like is to try everything."

My /5 toaster has Euro bars and I personally like the look and feel of them. They seem to evoke more of a "sporty" feel. My /6 has US bars and they are certainly more comfortable and provide more leverage. It is personal taste as many others have indicated, but these bikes are not used (in my case anyway) for long distance touring anymore, so the pluses/minuses of the different bars are less relevant.

One other consideration is originality. If you are a stickler for originality, then most US bikes probably left the dealership with US bars. Does anyone here know if the US bars were installed once they got to the US vs at the factory?

Original configuration...

One other consideration is originality. If you are a stickler for originality, then most US bikes probably left the dealership with US bars. Does anyone here know if the US bars were installed once they got to the US vs at the factory?

USA bars were installed at the factory. If you ordered a bike you could have it delivered with low bars instead or the dealer would convert it. 90S and 100S had low bars as standard. However dealers did convert some S bikes to touring models with addition of US bars and Luftmeister/Vetter fairings. I bought a 1 owner R100S that was done that way. "Original" bars for these bikes would have been low bars.

I went to Euro bars years ago. Before that it was a Windjammer. My bike thanked me.

Sadly my 1980 vintage black Magura bar has started to peel; time for a replacement. OEM Stadiums have been replaced by Halcyon 820 mirrors.

Euro.jpg

Go low!

My preference is for the low bars. I'm 6ft. 1. The correct original low bars for a /5 are different, and lower than the /6 and later bars if you choose to be a stickler for originality. I prefer the later bars, originality be damned. I might also point out that if you have an original or original style seat then it will be more comfortable with the low bars. You'll be sitting with pressure on your cheeks instead of on your tail bone.

Low bars also let rider bend spine in a different curve from the upright, bump, bump, bump on the rear end. My first bike, /5, had a jammer/high bars. So cool, at the time. A year later ordered cables and euro bars, tanked the jammer and took off for the Missoula '84 rally. For me it was the right move. No windshield, the air foil thing. You can always shelve the parts, re-use them later. I just gave the jammer and parts away.

Important detail

...The correct original low bars for a /5 are different, and lower than the /6 and later bars if you choose to be a stickler for originality.
I had completely forgotten about that! Thank you for mentioning it. I need to find set of those 'LoLo' bars :)

I have a R75/6 that I bought new. I've had the R90S bars, and cables, on and off several times. I'll ride it with the short bars for awhile then the taller US bars for awhile. The older I get the more I like the higher US bars. I think the bike looks better with the S bars, and I may put them back on this summer.

Back