• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Nav VI

There are many apps or websites that can create or save to the gpx file format. The gps should be able to read and interpret the file. However there might be discrepancies in the results if the app that created the gpx file uses a different map base than the one loaded in the gps. This is why I prefer to use basecamp to load the files.

I have found whenever I receive a route it's best to open in basecamp recalculate make sure (the route can change) its what you want then load to NAV. I agree the way it was created makes a difference including the map base and defaults such as all road type avoidances. The GPS should have alike set-up.

Jay

Thanks, I think I'm going to try the furkot because I really don't care for basecamp. I haven't worked with furkot yet but I do like some of the features I have seen in the tutorials.

There are many apps or websites that can create or save to the gpx file format. The gps should be able to read and interpret the file. However there might be discrepancies in the results if the app that created the gpx file uses a different map base than the one loaded in the gps. This is why I prefer to use basecamp to load the files.

Good point.
Sometimes I have to go back and add more waypoint so the Nav V route matches the one on my computer.

I abandoned Base Camp and have been using FURKOT for over two years now. Web based trip planners are accessable anywhere on any device. I wish Garmin would do the same with system and map updates. And yes, you can transfer GPX files directly to the device via a usb cable. With the proper cable, you can do the same with your mobile phone. Like any web or software interface, FURKOT appears a little quirky at first glance but once you spend about ten minutes figuring it out, it (unlike Base Camp) stays with you.

Call me crazy, but I find Basecamp (for Mac) more intuitive, and easier to use than Furkot. I've tried Furkot a couple of times, but was never able to get into it. I did not find it intuitive at all, as much as I tried (not to say I'll never try it again).

I'm happy with basecamp and see no reason to learn another program.

That makes two of us Bob! I find it interesting that people are willing to spend the time to learn Furkot, (and describe it as "quirky"), but not Basecamp. Once understood, Basecamp does everything I would ever need. (and I do a lot of trip planning)

I guess maybe I am missing a wonderful improvement if I jumped over to Furkot, but no thanks.

Last edited:
I just discovered a icon on Nav VI above the icon to stop my route. Someone told me it was to delete next waypoint. I have not been able to find it in the manual. Anyone know where to read about it?
Bob

I just discovered a icon on Nav VI above the icon to stop my route. Someone told me it was to delete next waypoint. I have not been able to find it in the manual. Anyone know where to read about it?
Bob
Those icons can be changed. The original icon is to skip the next way point.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Bob

Bob they talk about it on Page 6 of the Nav-VI manual (BMW_Nav_VI_OM_EN 2017-08.pdf - available on the BMW Motorrad site, if you don't still have your physical manual). It is at the bottom left - "Custtomizing Map Buttons".

They didn't go into nearly enough detail for me (I know I've got issues), so I described what "Map Buttons" are available on the Nav-VI, and how to set them up in an earlier thread: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?88727-Navigator-VI-(Nav-VI)-Tips-and-Tricks&p=1118887&viewfull=1#post1118887

That make two of us Bob! I find it interesting that people are willing to spend the time to learn Furkot, (and describe it as "quirky"), but not Basecamp. Once understood, Basecamp does everything I would ever need. (and I do a lot of trip planning)

I guess maybe I am missing a wonderful improvement if I jumped over to Furkot, but no thanks.

I guess that makes me #3. After spending few hours learning Basecamp I find it very easy to use. I've been using it now for over 5 years. It's not really that hard.

I still prefer to use MapSource to create my routes. If I need to edit the route then I use BaseCamp it does that function well. To bad MapSource doesn't interface with the Nav V

Jay

Sometimes I'm out ridding around and would like to start one of my gpx routes in the center from using "Where I am now". My gpx file will give me a few starting locations but I would need a map or computer to figure out where they are, That's why I would like to start from "Where I am now". Is there anyway to do this?
Bob

Bob, from the route that you bring up in Trip Planner, you will have two icons on the lower right of the screen "Map' and "Go". As you've mentioned, if you press the "Go"you get the "Select Next Destination" screen, which shows all of the waypoints in the route and allows you to choose which one you wish to navigate to. As you say unless you can remember which one you are wanting it can be very difficult to know which to chose, and frustrating.

There are two things that I do to help with this. First, tap the "Map" icon. This will give you a map overview of the route with place names, etc. Sometimes that is all that is needed, other times I need to zoom in to get a better sense of where each waypoint is and where I am. If I need more info, than while still on the map overview page tap the menu icon on the upper left and tap "Review Trip". The info displayed there might be (hopefully will be) what is needed to identify which waypoint you want to nagigate to.

Finally, one of the things that I've learned the hard way is that planning a route any time in advance of the actual trip/use means that my old head may not recall which Shell gas station is being referred to as a waypoint when I've selected it 1-2+ months previously while setting up the route. The GPS simply inserts the waypoint and labels it with "Shell" or with the restaurant's name, etc. What I started doing a few years ago is going back into the saved route and renaming the location so that it would now be "Shell - Brunswick, ME" so I know that it is the Shell station that I use on my way to the BMW Riders of Southern Maine annual DownEast Rally on Hermit Island.

I've found that without adding that info to the waypoint name it is too difficult for my feeble mind to remember where that Shell station is located, especially if it is a bigger multi-stop route.

I don't know what I did but when I put my Nav 6 in my 2017 R1200RT I lost the function that lets me zoom in and out with the wonder wheel? I looked through the setting but don't see anything to change it.
Bob

I had to take my bike back to the dealer and they reinstalled the software for my Wonder Wheel to get my gps option back. I don't know why I lost it unless I pulled it off while it was powered.
Bob

I have no idea if unplugging the powered gps is what caused my problem but I won't do it again. Why take a chance.
Bob

Back