• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Spark plug change gone wrong :(

The BMW boxers are among the easiest bikes around to work on. Compared to most other engine configurations, routine maintenance procedures are simple and access is uncomplicated. It is, of course, helpful if one uses the correct reference guide, tools and procedures. Not knowing that a thin walled socket is needed to remove the spark plugs is not an engineering flaw.

Yes, and the fact BMW has made the effort to catalog a special tool socket and reference it in official procedures is your clue ...

I bought this at Autozone a week ago for $7 plus tax. Works like a charm with a 12" extension.

That socket is listed as 14mm, my new plugs I just ordered are 16mm head, just wondering if i missed something. A few people have mentioned the thin wall tool from the tool kit, mine is way larger than the 16mm sparkplugs, I have no idea what it fits, it could be from an unknown source as I bought the bike used.

That socket is listed as 14mm, my new plugs I just ordered are 16mm head, just wondering if i missed something. A few people have mentioned the thin wall tool from the tool kit, mine is way larger than the 16mm sparkplugs, I have no idea what it fits, it could be from an unknown source as I bought the bike used.

may i ask, what bike are you talking about...?

The '05-'09 (Hexheads) have difference plugs than the '10-'13 (Camhead) RTs.

With used bikes you never really know what you're getting. I think you are going to need a thin-walled socket whether it's 14mm or 16mm and Autozone sells both sizes.

The '05-'09 (Hexheads) have difference plugs than the '10-'13 (Camhead) RTs.

With used bikes you never really know what you're getting. I think you are going to need a thin-walled socket whether it's 14mm or 16mm and Autozone sells both sizes.

pappy35...i know that...i have worked on both vintages of R1200s....i have both the 14mm and 5/8" thinwall 12" deep sockets...never had a problem with either...:scratch

05-09 Hexhead plugs... https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=26310 5/8" (16mm)

10-13 Camhead plugs... https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=26330 9/16" (14mm)

I vote for Heat / Cold. Use a canned air spray that gets darn cold from the Office Depo store. Spray it on the socket to shrink it. Heat gun expands things, so ok to then warm it and repeat with cold.

More important, drink a beer in between each step.

Seems that the OP got his socket stuck in the upper plug hole. I had no problem with regular Craftsman chrome socket on upper plugs. The left lower one gave me a scare, the socket fit fine and backed the plug off about 1 full turn, then stuck. I was able to wiggle it out with ViseGrips and a few choice words. That socket has been ground down, and now has good clearance. Live and learn.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I've seen this happen a number of times when somebody goes after the spark plug while the engine is cooling down ... easy to get that socket stuck! Some good suggestions in the thread for getting it out. I hope he managed to fix it!

That is why the only thing you do on an engine when it is warm, is drain the oil. The rest of the work is done cold or ambient temp up to a point of course....YMMV

I've seen this happen a number of times when somebody goes after the spark plug while the engine is cooling down ... easy to get that socket stuck! Some good suggestions in the thread for getting it out. I hope he managed to fix it!
I did mine completely cold, the bike had been sitting for 4 to 5 hours. Weird that only the left side lower gave me a problem. Not now with the super clearanced
poorboy special socket.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I made that mistake once as well, after a ride was going to change the oil and figured I should adjust the valve clearance as well. I tried for two days following all the tips from a couple of threads on how to do it. After a couple of days of trying I decided best to leave it to the pros and took it to a motorcycle mechanic I use who has a small shop and is great. He and his head mechanic worked on it off and on using cans or Wurth freezing spray and lots of fine language :). Told them while they were in there they might as well do the valve clearance adjustment, oil change, and new spark plugs. All in including our exorbitant tax rate in Ontario (13%) and I was just slightly over $600 cdn. Best money I ever spent for the piece of mind that I wasn’t going to damage the engine case. Immediately went out and bought the same socket he uses. Learned my lesson - oil change when engine warm, everything else cold!

Back