• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2012 Model R1200RT P refuses to start

swagmanfromau

Hi fellow riders,

After riding over 2000 Km to get to the Australian capital Canberra (the long way), with the 2017 Wall to Wall Remembrance Ride without incident; my 2012 R1200RT P decided it had enough.

It started as normal, ran for about 5 seconds in neutral gear then the motor just stopped.
Tried to restart, in neutral, side stand up- Motor turns over but refuses to fire up. -Half tank of fuel- plenty of voltage in the battery – No blown fuses – Also tried with spare key.

Then tried to restart whilst moving the side stand up and down in case the cut out switch may have been faulty and possibly sending a wrong message to the computer. Still would not start.

I notice that when I turn on the ignition the warning triangle on the instrument panel first appears red and after a few second turns to yellow. No other symbols appear to indicate what it is warning of.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem and can advise the probable cause and how to correct the fault.

Regards to you all.

Warren

My bike stalled at 70MPH on the highway and then would not start. Turned out to be the fuel pump controller ( I think it's basically a relay). Take off the left (clutch) side fairing and its right on top held on by 2 T-20 screws.

Very easy to replace, but, very pricey at $205.

I know your bike did not stall when you were riding down the road, but it could still be it. Mine exhibited the same behavior after it failed.

Mine failed when I was nearing the bottom of the gas tank (had less than one half gallon gas remaining).

There are great threads about it here : do a forum search on fuel pump controller or FPC

Good luck, hope you are not stranded for long. If you are stranded I would try taking it out and check connections/clean, you never know, you might be able to get it working.

When you turn on the key you should be able to hear the fuel pump ... if you can not, this could be your problem.

My bike started and ran fine after I got a tow home, but I replaced the part anyhow.

Last edited:
Did it cut off as if a switch was flipped or did it sputter to a stop? A sputter, even the slightest hint of stumble, is often fuel related. Electrical issues are usual as if a switch is flipped with a clean instantaneous stopping. I would use an meter or test light to check the side stand switch. That's as good a thing to check as any and is easy.

My bike stalled at 70MPH on the highway and then would not start. Turned out to be the fuel pump controller ( I think it's basically a relay). Take off the left (clutch) side fairing and its right on top held on by 2 T-20 screws.

Very easy to replace, but, very pricey at $205.

I know your bike did not stall when you were riding down the road, but it could still be it. Mine exhibited the same behavior after it failed.

Mine failed when I was nearing the bottom of the gas tank (had less than one half gallon gas remaining).

There are great threads about it here : do a forum search on fuel pump controller or FPC

Good luck, hope you are not stranded for long. If you are stranded I would try taking it out and check connections/clean, you never know, you might be able to get it working.

When you turn on the key you should be able to hear the fuel pump ... if you can not, this could be your problem.

My bike started and ran fine after I got a tow home, but I replaced the part anyhow.

Thank you for your suggestion gimme 789.

The bike came home the 1200 Km in the group support trailer.

I spoke to my BMW service centre this morning and he also suggested it may be the FPC. Gave me a new replacement part but when installed it may no difference, still no start.

I returned it to him this afternoon and he gave me a refund.

He suggested I trailer it to his workshop and connect it to his diagnostic tool (computer) so that we can get a fault code and go from there.

Did it cut off as if a switch was flipped or did it sputter to a stop? A sputter, even the slightest hint of stumble, is often fuel related. Electrical issues are usual as if a switch is flipped with a clean instantaneous stopping. I would use an meter or test light to check the side stand switch. That's as good a thing to check as any and is easy.

Thank you also for your suggestion rudyinla.

It stopped without any sputter, just as if the ignition had been switched off.

I saw three wires at the side stand switch. Are you able to tell me the function of each wire and which sequence to use when testing the switch?

Do you know if the wires are hard wired into the switch, or is there a plug that separates from the switch? If there is a plug it appears somewhat fixed into position.

Maybe there is a special way if releasing it.

Had you recently filled up with gas? I had it happen on my 2012 2 times. Once immediately after filling up in rain storm... second time after sitting for 2 weeks...in humid Florida. Both times...drsined tank. ..somehow water was getting in gas...

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Had you recently filled up with gas? I had it happen on my 2012 2 times. Once immediately after filling up in rain storm... second time after sitting for 2 weeks...in humid Florida. Both times...drsined tank. ..somehow water was getting in gas...

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

No I had a half tank of gas. Had just ridden over 4000Km in 4 days during which time it had ran beautifully. I had started it normally 3 times within 90 minutes of it shutting down.

I have feeling the fault is electronic. I will post the fault code when I have it.

I believe the FPC is only the controller of the fuel pump.
I am not an expert but if the actual fuel pump was bad I believe it will sputter and not start.

Looking forward to hearing the actual cause.

When my FPC failed in Mexico it quit and started about 10 times from a few seconds to 20 miles. Then quite permanently.
I had the GS911 with me and it gave a code of fuel pump circuit or something like that.
I got a borrowed FPC and put it in, and it started immediately and ran good til this year.
dc

similar problem

I had a similar incident on my 09RT last week. I had just filled up with about 22L of fuel and when I pushed the ignition button absolutely nothing happened. Dash display looked normal and no unusual warning lights were on.

I've had no previous starting problems although there has been the occasional throttle "stumble" when I've pulled out to pass someone. Anyways, about 2 minutes later the bike fired up and i set off on my day ride. Not wanting to push my luck, I did the 220km loop without turning off the bike. I put the battery on a trickle charger overnight thinking it might be a battery issue. A couple days later I went to fire it up and nothing happened. Tried a few times to start but no luck and about 5 minutes later tried just for the heck of it and lo and behold, I had a running engine. Later that morning it started up first time. Which brings me to yesterday where i went through the whole routine again where it eventually started but in the end, about 2 blocks from home, it refused to start. I took the battery out and charged it for several hours, reinstalled it, and it eventually started when I had just recruited a neighbout to help me push it home to my shop.

I was thinking it might be a starter relay but after reading this thread think it might br the FPC. Any thoughts?

TIA

PS Where do the fuses hide on an 09 RT? Can't see any location in either my owner's manual or my Haynes manual.

Last edited:
I had a similar incident on my 09RT last week. I had just filled up with about 22L of fuel and when I pushed the ignition button absolutely nothing happened. Dash display looked normal and no unusual warning lights were on.

I've had no previous starting problems although there has been the occasional throttle "stumble" when I've pulled out to pass someone. Anyways, about 2 minutes later the bike fired up and i set off on my day ride. Not wanting to push my luck, I did the 220km loop without turning off the bike. I put the battery on a trickle charger overnight thinking it might be a battery issue. A couple days later I went to fire it up and nothing happened. Tried a few times to start but no luck and about 5 minutes later tried just for the heck of it and lo and behold, I had a running engine. Later that morning it started up first time. Which brings me to yesterday where i went through the whole routine again where it eventually started but in the end, about 2 blocks from home, it refused to start. I took the battery out and charged it for several hours, reinstalled it, and it eventually started when I had just recruited a neighbout to help me push it home to my shop.

I was thinking it might be a starter relay but after reading this thread think it might br the FPC. Any thoughts?

TIA

PS Where do the fuses hide on an 09 RT? Can't see any location in either my owner's manual or my Haynes manual.

There are no fuses on your bike. Currents are monitored and the wiring is protected by the ZFE(central computer). If a circuit "trips", it is reset by turning the ignition off and then back on.

Your problem sounds different from the OP's as his bike at least turns over, and is dying while running. You may have a weak battery or a poor connection. Are you trying to start while in gear? If so, it may start properly in neutral until you can check for a stuck clutch switch.

09RT non-starter

There are no fuses on your bike. Currents are monitored and the wiring is protected by the ZFE(central computer). If a circuit "trips", it is reset by turning the ignition off and then back on.

Your problem sounds different from the OP's as his bike at least turns over, and is dying while running. You may have a weak battery or a poor connection. Are you trying to start while in gear? If so, it may start properly in neutral until you can check for a stuck clutch switch.

Larry
2006 R1200RT

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

That would explain why I couldn't find any fuses! A newbie to BMW moment, what can I say...

No, I wasn't trying to start in gear. I always try to start in neutral. I moved the kickstand up and down several times but that didn't help. And we tried to jump start off my neighbour's car battery and that didn't work. Battery was my first thought, it is a Lithium battery of undetermined age. It was in the bike when I bought it 15 months ago but got the feeling from the PO that he had installed it in the previous year.

When I turn on the ignition there's no fuel pump noise so that's why I was thinking it might be the FPC(coupled with the stumble at high power while passing). The fuel pump was replaced under warranty by BMW when I bought the bike so the fuel pump should hopefully still be good.

cheers
Colin
2009 R1200RT

Last edited:
Hi fellow riders,

After riding over 2000 Km to get to the Australian capital Canberra (the long way), with the 2017 Wall to Wall Remembrance Ride without incident; my 2012 R1200RT P decided it had enough.

It started as normal, ran for about 5 seconds in neutral gear then the motor just stopped.
Tried to restart, in neutral, side stand up- Motor turns over but refuses to fire up. -Half tank of fuel- plenty of voltage in the battery – No blown fuses – Also tried with spare key.

Then tried to restart whilst moving the side stand up and down in case the cut out switch may have been faulty and possibly sending a wrong message to the computer. Still would not start.

I notice that when I turn on the ignition the warning triangle on the instrument panel first appears red and after a few second turns to yellow. No other symbols appear to indicate what it is warning of.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem and can advise the probable cause and how to correct the fault.

Regards to you all.

Warren

Now all good and running again.

Firstly thank you to all of you who had some input into my post.

The electronics side of the fuel pump was OK. The problem turned out to be a faulty fuel pump motor.

Luckily, my BMW service centre had a second hand pump motor to replace the faulty one. He stated that you cannot purchase the motor as an individual spare part, you can only get the complete fuel pump assembly at about AU$900.

Faulty Fuel Pump Motor.jpg

2006 r1200rt Refusing to Start

I am having a problem similar to that of the original author and thought after reading all the interesting replies it would be a good place to piggyback my question. I hope that is acceptable and apologize if not.

My problem differs in that the problem occurred 3 times, each time after spending the night out in the rain. First time a year ago then restarted ok after about two hours. Second and third time about 10 days ago. Event two took several hours to restart. I then fashioned a small cover for the cluster and handlebars.
That night in rained again (Oregon coast!!), next day it would not start.
Had bike transported back to Portland (thank you MOA road service), bike started. As of last week mechanic unable to find fault or reproduce.
When last saw bike it was sitting out in the rain (again) try to reproduce. Will talk to shop later.
Finally, 2006 r1200rt. New battery put in in Sept. Decent battery, not top of the line, but only one available near me (Port Angeles WA). I do not believe it has happened every time its been in the rain, but since I frequently travel with a cover I can not say with absolute certainty.
Any thoughts/suggestions?

09RT still a sporadic starter

This morning I installed a brand new fully charged Yuasa battery, magically thinking the old girl would fire right up....wrong! Tried a few times, fiddled with the side stand, made sure I was in N and the clutch pulled in but still nothing doing.

I removed all the body work on the left side of the bike to check connections on side stand, the starter, and fuel pump. Everything looked fine although I did find an extra 2 wire connectorIMG_1934.jpgcoming from the colllected wires going to the fuel pump. Judging from the corrosion on the connector, it had not been connected to anything for a while

Once the body work was off and I had jiggled all the connections I tried to start it again. Well, it started, and not only once but several times in a row. Hmm, the old take it apart and put it together again trick had worked, or at least I thought. Once the body work was back on I tried it again and surprise, surprise, it didn't start. Off the body work again...and this time the magic didn't work(even after jiggling) and the bike wouldn't start.

When I turn on the ignition there is the red triangle briefly, then the orange, briefly, and when I push the ignition button it's a roll of the dice whether the bike will turn over. I forgot to mention earlier the starter motor doesn't turn over at all on the failed starts. The Service message also comes up cause the 24000 mile service had been done(9000 miles ago) but not by the official BMW folks so the ECU never got the message. And as i mentioned earlier, the fuel pump was replaced on a recall in 2016 when I got the bike.

Any suggestions???

Back